Thread: Jigs, assist hooks, being cheap and nail polish. (loooong read + pics)

Default Jigs, assist hooks, being cheap and nail polish. (loooong read + pics)

I hope this post will be useful to some. I just thought it would be fun to share my experiences trying to find, and be creative with cheap jigs.

So Ive been planning this trip to Coffman Cove for the past few weeks now.
    Heading up there for the beginning of July.

I figured since I can catch salmon in the rivers in SC, I should really focus on halibut, ling and rockfish while I have a skiff over there.

There have been a few threads here about jigging for halibut and so my brother and I have decided we were really going to focus on that.

I am cheap

Im a pretty cheap dude so Ive been searching all over the place for inexpensive jigs.

On this website, I found really cheap diamond jigs from 2 to 16oz.
    14oz are $3.75
    16oz are $4.15
    http://www.wholesalecentral.com/maulsa0001/store.cfm
    I made sure to ask them to use the flat-rate boxes from USPS.

Looking at the pics, I did not trust the hooks or split rings so I thought I would change them out when I got them but it turns out they are pretty good quality.
    I dont like treble hooks, and I wanted to use top assist hooks so I removed them anyways but the quality seemed ok.

I also checked the 'Hit the jackpot' thread (or something like that) and found those crippled herrings.
    The first site listed the 10, 13 and 16oz for $8.99 a piece. (http://www.overstockbait.com/SearchR...x=0&Search.y=0)

Then someone found the 10oz for $5 a piece (jandhtackle.com)

Then, I REALLY hit the jackpot and found 13oz for $5!!!
    You know how I found them? By misspelling 'crippled'. I wrote 'cripped' and it turns out some guy/gal on ebay had problems spelling as well so I found their store and bought all 10 of them.

BUT

I saw on their ebay site that they were located in Bellingham, WA and a few weeks ago on another forum, I remember some guy saying he bought a bunch of 16-20oz ones for $3-4 a piece from a store in Bellingham.

I figured I might as well ask if it was them. So I email them, and the guy/gal says: "Yes that was us! We just got a shipment of 16 and 20oz!"

So out loud I scream: "I WIN!!!"

Then I bought 12 X 20oz. I had to pay $7 a piece but its still a great deal.

The jigs are not listed on their ebay site, nor on their store site but this is who they are: http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/
    Perhaps you can try calling or emailing to see if they have many left. I bought mine yesterday.

Assist hooks

Since Im so cheap, I thought it would be silly to buy a bunch of assist hooks for +$2 a pop.
    So I decided I would just make them.
    I don’t like having the hook at the bottom of the jig because Im sure that’s how Ive lost 90% of my jigs.
    Most of the materials I found on ebay.
    This is how I switched up the hooks on the Crippled herring jigs.

1- Crippled Herring

jigs (2 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    2- Cut the solid ring. I brought the jig with me to home depot to make sure I bought a good set of cutters.

jigs (3 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    3- 300lb Kevlar rope (from ebay)

jigs (4 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    4- Basic overhand knot. I saw this on several Tuna fishing sites so Im guessing this is strong enough.

jigs (5 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    More in next post (max 4 pics)
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

5- Put the hook through like this…

jigs (6 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

6- The crazy glue might be overkill but rather be safe than sorry.

jigs (8 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

7- Cut a but of heat shrink tubing (1/4 inch. Bought at auto zone)

jigs (9 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    8- Stretch it out with a pair of pliers so it fits over the eye of the hook.

jigs (10 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    more to come…

9- Fit over hook

jigs (11 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

10- Drop in boiling water for 3-4 seconds. Make sure you have pliers or tongs ready!

jigs (15 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

11- Almost done

jigs (16 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    12- These are the solid rings and split rings I used. I don’t like the OWNER brand solid rings because they are sort of flat like washers. I do not understand why they would make them like this.

jigs (12 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

13 – place on solid ring

jigs (17 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    14 – I use the heavy duty split ring to attach the assist hook to the jig.

jigs (19 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr
    15 – I can make all kinds of hooks depending on size of jig

jigs (22 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

Nail Polish

Since I had a bunch of these diamond jigs, all in silver, I thought it would be good to put a bit of color to them. I might be wrong here but I don’t think the halibut would care that I painted outside of the lines. Wasn’t sure which colors were best so I just went with whatever nail polish was the cheapest at Fred Meyers.
    Man does that stuff stink though…

jigs (21 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

jigs (20 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

jigs (23 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

jigs (1 of 23) by sodabiscuit12345, on Flickr

That’s it!!!

Hope this was useful for some of you.

Excellent idea and work!!

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

You my friend are a flippin genius...If you dont mind I will be making some of those "cheater" hooks...

JH ~~~~ Awesome Post! You said you were gonna do it, and wow did you! those painted jigs look great, not sure the fish really care about having them colored or not, but they sure make em' look good in the tackle bag! Never thought about using boiling water on shrink tubes, great tip! the finished assist hooks look great!

Only thing to be careful about: the double assist hooks, you gotta watch out for the second hook when you are getting the fish in the boat and especially unhooking it. Also, you want to connect your line from the rod to the original wire loop of the lure, leave the split and solid rings completely free of the line!

Will send you a reg email in the morning with some more thots, gotta get some sleep now!

Good Stuff!! I would not label yourself as cheap. More like resourceful in the pursuit of your hobby. Plus rigging them yourself vs. opening a package and fishing as is, is a lot more fun.

SB,

Youu are correct about hooks on the lure bottom causing most hang-ups......I've used knife jigs quite a lot in Baja waters.

The red finger nail polish being cheap is as good as any but red isn't red below 30 feet.....and as you get to most halibut depths, probably no colors are discernible......

Good job!

Ingenious. Innovative. Entertaining. Thankyou.

And by the way, the snow must still be pretty deep there. You'll get over the cabin fever after you get on the water.

Hey guys, just got a reply from the store with the 16-20oz crippled herring

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/spor...-etc/jigs.html

1-9 for $6.99
    10+ for $5.99
    plus shipping with flat-rate

Should be getting mine in the next few days.

Soda how much did the kevlar rope cost? I was going to make a few myself but that was the expensive part.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Soda how much did the kevlar rope cost? I was going to make a few myself but that was the expensive part.
    oups. thought I replied to this. ~$28 shipped for 100FT of 300lbs

They also have 700lbs but its more expensive and I think its overkill

http://cgi.ebay.com/CMT-Kevlar-Assis...#ht_500wt_1021

EVEN CHEAPER:

Segmented re-bar/ drilled for clip rings fore and aft for tether and hook, and spray painted silver and then nail polished to detail...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Soda do you have 10ft left you want to sell? I can buy a lot of pre tied hooks for 28.00. I would love to buy 10-15ft of it!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Soda do you have 10ft left you want to sell? I can buy a lot of pre tied hooks for 28.00. I would love to buy 10-15ft of it!
    Kgpcr Pm sent

Guys, I found a pretty decent deal here on ebay for jigs and such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Butterfly-Typ...item45f46d7d00

Not too bad actually.

Years ago I got an industrial spool of 415 kevlar thread, looking at the specs it has a tensile strength of 150#'s. It seems to have more than enough strength for assist hooks, as a loop should be double the single strand strenght or 300#. If anyone's interested in some send me a pm.