Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an four wheeler that does everything!

Default I need an four wheeler that does everything!

I'm looking into getting a reliable four wheeler that does pretty much everything. I have a little experience with them but I have never owned one. I want it to be good for winter or summer, can handle any hunting activities, but not be to much for my wife to handle. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Thanks!
    -Matt

Yamaha 550 or 700 Grizzly with Electronic Power Steering (EPS). Get a good winch too, you'll need it for pulling out broken down Polaris Sportsmans.

Default Agreed on a grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Yamaha 550 or 700 Grizzly with Electronic Power Steering (EPS). Get a good winch too, you'll need it for pulling out broken down Polaris Sportsmans.
    Although inride witha friend who has an800 sportsman newer that doesn't have any problems... Yet. I switched from arctic cat to grizzly and love it definately go with fuel injected starts all year without tweaking carb or anything no priming you press starter and it starts!!!!!! Amazing

Man, from what you're asking, I'd say ARGO. Otherwise, the Grizzlys are a pretty good choice
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

For a hunting and work quad then Polaris 6x6 hands down.

Another vote for the 700 Grizzly with power steering. Best ATV I've ever owned; I run it year-round. Fuel injection is SO much nicer than a carb. Starts up immediately and idles perfect immediately. Tons of power. Dependable. Won't bust your wrist if you hit something with one front tire.

Ditch the stock tires and get ITP swamp lites. Don't change the wheel size.

I'm a woman and am tossing in another plug for the Yamaha 700 Grizzly with EPS. I have no problem handling that machine, it's been very reliable, and it's incredibly capable. We've had ours for several years and I've never regretted my choice.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I'm looking into getting a reliable four wheeler that does pretty much everything.

In short....it doesn't exist.

Figure out what activity you will be doing the MOST and get one that best fits that need. Pretty much all reputable wheelers out there will do most things well but they also excel in different areas.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I sure enjoy my Polaris 800 Sportsman. I still like my little Yamaha Timberwolf, too. They're all fun as long as they run.

one machine definitely will not work for every situation, winter/summer, what you basically need is a package, 1 boat, 1 side by side, 1 fun four wheeler and 1 snow machine... there you go, 4 machines and $50,000 you'll be the envy of the neighborhood. oh yeah, and you need a motorhome to tow all those toys and a place to stay when it rains. wait I forgot another thing, yep, you definitely need a cabin to take all these toys too. Well you're up to over $100,000. now but that's what it takes to enjoy Ak. YUP 1 machine that can do it all, not gonna happen. getting back to reality-The Yamaha 700 looks like a nice ride.

Can-Am Max XT, either 650 or 800 will do the trick. The worst part of owning one is waiting for everyone else to catch up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Can-Am Max XT, either 650 or 800 will do the trick. The worst part of owning one is waiting for everyone else to catch up!
    How much do those weigh? I'm suspecting a lot, but don't know.

I know my Grizzly 700 weighs in at about 700 #. I'm not the strongest guy in the woods, but even I can lift and slide it sideways if its not on my trailer just right.

I have a Grizzly 660 that I put about 600-800 miles a year on, and you couldn't pay me to not buy another Griz. I do want the power steering though! For your wife I would suggest the 450 eps (power steering) if she is under 5'3" because the frame is smaller and lighter and easier to steer the ***** with your legs. My 660 weighs in at 600 and its not hard to shift it to the right place on the trailer. I know everyone loves their fuel injects but what I don't like about those is there is no pull start! My 660 (carburated) has started at 40 below no problem. Yes you have to tweek the choke but its really only full choke til it turns over, half choke it and it will start running, then just let in warm up about 10-20 take off and after about 100 yards turn your choke off. I don't change jets or any of that crap. I do normal maintenance, change the plug once a year and thats it! Hell, I even had the intake plenum come It wouldn't go over 35 but she got me to the truck! As far as speed, I have passed cars on Cheena Hot Springs trying to out run a rain storm. She tops out at about 71!

Good luck
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    I have a Grizzly 660
    I haven't ridden a 660, but from the research I did, I agree with you that there were quite a lot of changes made, engineering wise, between that and the 700.

If I had the chance I'd trade bikes for part of a ride to get the seat time in a 660 to find out myself. Nothing beats time in the seat in a variety of terrains to know what a bike can do.

Bar thats about the smartest thing Ive heard all day. Now if I could get my wife to believe that... I am looking into the grizzly 660 though. My buddy told me the same thing today and I am thinking it may be the right choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    one machine definitely will not work for every situation, winter/summer, what you basically need is a package, 1 boat, 1 side by side, 1 fun four wheeler and 1 snow machine... there you go, 4 machines and $50,000 you'll be the envy of the neighborhood. oh yeah, and you need a motorhome to tow all those toys and a place to stay when it rains. wait I forgot another thing, yep, you definitely need a cabin to take all these toys too. Well you're up to over $100,000. now but that's what it takes to enjoy Ak. YUP 1 machine that can do it all, not gonna happen. getting back to reality-The Yamaha 700 looks like a nice ride.

Argo goes all year round goes through water snow mud and rocky stuff.! easy to drive takes no effort at all hauls six plus gear for all!!!
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

I love my Big Bear 400. IRS, great tires, and electric locking diffy. It does everything the bigger quads do, just not quite as fast. I've pushed 16" of snow no problem. First gear is so low it more than makes up for the lack of displacement when it comes to towing. In the mud it's as good as it gets short of an Argo or 6 wheeler. Take the 2500 bucks you saved by not buying a 700 and buy a snowmobile or take the wife on a nice trip.......

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    I love my Big Bear 400. IRS, great tires, and electric locking diffy. It does everything the bigger quads do, just not quite as fast. I've pushed 16" of snow no problem. First gear is so low it more than makes up for the lack of displacement when it comes to towing. In the mud it's as good as it gets short of an Argo or 6 wheeler. Take the 2500 bucks you saved by not buying a 700 and buy a snowmobile or take the wife on a nice trip.......
    This is golden info to be honest.... The bigbear is about the best deal going.

Cat just came out with a reasonably priced quad. $500 less than the Big Bear at MSRP. A 425 with an auto trans, hi-lo, independent suspension all the way around, EFI, narrow enough to cross ARR bridges without modification, short ride height, and disc brakes. The Big Bear does come with better tires, though.

In my opinion I have never wanted for a bigger bike than my 500. If I were to buy new I would simply step up to the new Cat 550 EFI with electronic power steering. It's significantly faster than my 500(not that that really matters) better fuel mileage, and EPS is really nice.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Can't possibly go wrong with the 700 Grizz. Chalk up one more vote here.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast