Thread: Legend Air Suspension

Default Legend Air Suspension

Anyone try their air suspension yet on your Ranger or other UTV up here?

Hey Blademan

I posted the samething back in Oct. No hits though. Pretty spendy too. I was wondering if the application coud be usefull or not.

How's the rig? Hoping to be home in Aug, and I'm still trying to hook up with some of you 6x'ers.
    Suspension mod for Ranger 6x6

Anybody seen this? Would the average 6x guy/gal need this suspension upgrade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PboE39c31pk
    www.legendsuspensions.com

I don’t get much time on mine as I work overseas, but eventually will use it to get to some bears or moose or bou, Jim Creek clean up and poker runs, plowing snow, the usual stuff. Don’t think those average uses could justify the cost………could it??

Hi outaMT,

I think their suspension would work good for me if it would hold up. I've been hauling quite a bit of weight with my Ranger and it is effecting my ground clearance. If you're not hauling a ton of weight around I wouldn't do it. For me, I'm thinking it might be the ticket. I'm just worried that it won't hold up, or I will have problems with the air lines getting ripped off, etc...

So far my Ranger has been pretty impressive. Here is a picture.

I should have taken some pictures of it loaded, darn it! I made a couple of trips in with the machine full of stuff, and 10, 16 foot long treated 2x6's on my rack and roof each trip. My buddy was hauling 5 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood with his too.

I welded up another front rack for this Ranger too. It works pretty slick. Just pop the 2 pins on the rack that attach to the roll bar, and the whole rack pivots forward up and over towards the bumper out of the way. Or you can pop the other 2 pins up front and take the rack completely off. If anyone wants to build a front rack like this, be warned; you will lose a lot of visibility. For me, it works out.

I also put an aluminum box in place of the plastic tool box between the cab and the cargo bed. I usually put the gas barrel or the heavier coolers in there depending on the trip. I had it Rhino Lined black, drilled some large drain holes, and it works well for me.

I'm also thinking I'll probably get the Pro Armor doors too.
    http://www.polarisrangeraccessories....rs-PAD1234.htm

IMG_0495.jpg

Great Hard Top! You’ve been busy on upgrades. I still haven’t had time to do anything with mine yet, but the hard top is still a definite for me. Maybe 1S1K will chime in regarding the topper….he had a pretty good plan he was working on. The topper is a must! It would have made some yard work I had last year a lot easier.

I had the same idea regarding an aluminum locking box; something a bit taller than the stock plastic, and I really like the Rhino spray idea.
    Still nothing on the suspension – thought somebody might have some input.

OK guys...I figured I'd go ahead and update this thread. I went ahead and bought the Legend Air Suspension. It was about $2500 bucks. I had a friend install it for me and the only problem was that they didn't include some sort of jumper wire to the solenoid block, and they didn't include the routing diagram for the air lines. Didn't think much about that until it was too late. I procrastinated too long and I didn't get it installed until right before I took it to the cabin the first time this year. I had the air lines routed wrong and it would transfer air from side to side. That's bad! LOL! I ended up flopping it on the driver’s side once on that trip.

I called Legend and they got me all straightened out on the routing. Here is the link...
    http://www.legendsuspensions.com/Uploads/Documents/InstallGuides/Parts/RouteAirTubing_InstallGuide.pdf

I finally put it to the test last week on another cabin trip and all I can say is WOW! This thing is bad to the bone! I lower it down to put it in my enclosed trailer, then air it up when I'm ready to hit the trail. It was very stable and rode like a caddy. Not sure how much weight I had this last trip but it was still a pretty good load. I chickened out and only took four 16' 2x6's this trip on the roof. It soaked up the bumps though and I never once felt like I was going to tip over sideways again.

Here is a little YouTube video if you have enough Dramamine handy...LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbAohcDRxFk&feature=channel_video_title

Not sure about the ProArmor doors. They are nice but you can't keep the darn things aligned to the latch.

I'll keep playing with everything and if I have some problems I'll post them up in this thread. So far I've put the suspension through some pretty extreme conditions and terrain.

Bottom line for me so far...

Would I recommend it for the average guy up here in Alaska? No.

Does it work as advertised? Yes.

Default Loaded

I could have used a LAS on my trip to Dickey Lake. Had all the gear you see in the photo, plus me, wife, kid and two dogs. Half way to the lake buddies Ranger breaks a MacPherson strut in half so we load up another dog, another guy, and another kid and head back to the trail head. On the way my driver's side center shock breaks. The pin that hold the spring adjuster in place broke right off the shock tube and the spring collasped. Luckily the shock tube held, but only because there are 3 other tires on the rear to support the weight. Can't imagine what would have happened to a 4X4 ranger in that situation.

Ranger loaded.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I could have used a LAS on my trip to Dickey Lake. Had all the gear you see in the photo, plus me, wife, kid and two dogs. Half way to the lake buddies Ranger breaks a MacPherson strut in half so we load up another dog, another guy, and another kid and head back to the trail head. On the way my driver's side center shock breaks. The pin that hold the spring adjuster in place broke right off the shock tube and the spring collasped. Luckily the shock tube held, but only because there are 3 other tires on the rear to support the weight. Can't imagine what would have happened to a 4X4 ranger in that situation.

Ranger loaded.jpg
    Ha! Awesome picture!

As far as your stock shock breaking, are you talking about that little nub that sticks out on the side of the shock where you can adjust the shock?

I've been worried about having problems with the LAS too. I take 2 front, and 2 rear stock shocks with me. Plus I take another small air compressor, and a ton of small air fittings that I got from the Parker Store in Anchorage. If I destory a shock I should be able to throw a stock one in it's place. If I lose air pressure I can splice the lines back together, and if the LAS compressor quits working I should be able to use the other little one to air the system back up via a schrader valve. LOL!

I'll probably never have a shock problem. I'll break something I don't have and can't fix out there. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    As far as your stock shock breaking, are you talking about that little nub that sticks out on the side of the shock where you can adjust the shock?
    Yes, the little nub. Freak accident if you ask me. You can carry a ton of spare parts or you can just go with a buddy. My buddy ended up taking pics of his wreckage, ordered the parts, went back in with another Ranger and fixed the whole thing in the field and drove it out. The Dickey Lake trail is nothing major either. I've been on far worse. Just the wrong amount of gas and winch applied at the wrong time and steering angle and snap. One thing I do is try my best to hit all obstacles at a full 90 degrees even if it means 12 or 15 point turns. He was coming out of a deep erosion rut and we think his wheel was turned and the strut could not take the force of a trying to turn out of the rut with the winch pulling and power being applied.

Blademan, pm sent your way

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post

Is that your welding? If so, very nice!