Thread: Share your broken rod stories

Default Share your broken rod stories

I've broken my share of rods, or had them broken. A few of my "favorites"

Fishing at Allison Point, my wife was watching me and hanging out. Caught my first ever pink salmon and she wanted to take a pic. Set the rod down, long story short "Someone" stepped on my brand new telescopic rod and broke 18 inches off the end. Not deterred, I fished the next couple hours and caught a lot of pinks on a shortened rod.

Brand new rod #2: fishing in N. Ontario with a friend, new premium Cabela's rod. Loading back up into the car, parked in the brush, I didn't realize I left the tip sticking out. When he closed his door that was the end of that....

Favorite all time rod : My sister in law was asking me about fishing one time as I got my gear around. She said "you're not going salmon fishing with that?" My St. Croix rod didn't look real hefty, especially in the tip, but it had great flexibility. I said watch this, and proceeded to bend it in a tight arc. SNAP Not my brightest moment.

I had just bought a brand new Shimano Cennan 9ft Rod and went to the russian. We got everything ready at the campground and put them assembled and ready to fish in the back of the truck, for the drive down to the ferry. Well 9ft rod in 8ft bed left some sticking out passed the passenger door. I got out and saw the rod and got out don't shut.., well door shut and lost about six inches of the rod tip. Fished the rest of the day with it and limited out. On the way back through town, I went to the store to get another replacement rod, and put it in the back of the truck with the Fifth wheel and when I got home no rod. It blew out the back of the truck. I was so mad. So if anyone found a brand new Shimano Cennan 9ft spinning reel along the side of the highway from Eagle River to Wasilla well I hope you caught alot of fish with it. I have now purchased the same rod 3 times, oh well, live and learn.

Fishing for pike in big lake with light tackle and hooked a lunker. I got no net or gaffe, so as I'm holding the pole in one hand trying to grab the 3ft freshwater barrecuda in the other my rod broke almost in half. Did not land the fish but it was exciting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Well I have never had a nice rod but I have broke more than a few. Most memorable was when I was probably 12 fishing sheep and hooked into a nice ~50lb king. My dad was standing next to me giving me the standard "keep your rod tip up.... don't horse it..." speech. With a resounding SNAP the rod let go about 6" below the first guide leaving me with nothing but a reel attached to a stub and the rest of the rod making like an air to water torpedo headed down the taught line toward the creek surface and the fish below. To my shock my old man lunged out and caught the rod tip! He pulled it up managed to get about a foot of the broken piece along side of the stub and then do a surprisingly good job of holding them together. Another guy came up with a net and me and dad backed up out of the water and then a stupid distance up the bank finally bringing the fish into net range where the guy was able to close the net on it and get it on the bank to the sounds of 1/2 the river cheering us on!

About 6-7 years ago, my Mom and Dad came to visit me in Alaska. We had been camping in Homer for 3 days and not able to go out. Seas were rough and my Dad has a weak stomach. After 3 days, he was itching to catch something, so I looked at all my options and decided to hit the Kasilof for Kings. I believe it was a Wednesday and you could only keep Native Kings on Tuesday or Thursday, but regardless it was a day we couldn't retain one. Now my Dad is old school and comes from the east coast. Releasing a fish is not in his vocabulary nor his mindset, unless its too small. Anyways, on my second cast, I hooked on to a king and as I set the hook, my rod snapped in half leaving me the first eye. The rest of the rod hit the water and the fight was on. 45 minutes later of running up and down the banks, I landed about a 50+ King. It was not a hatchery fish and I had to release it. When I my Dad realized I was going to release the fish, he threw a fit. He thought I was crazy. After I released the fish, he wanted to go back to Homer as he was sick to his stomach for what I had done. Weather finally let up in Seward so we relocated and let him catch fish until his arms almost fell off. I forgot to mention, prior to going to Homer, I had taken him fishing to the Lil Su where he caught a 47 pound king. My dad is the one with the yellow PFD the other is my wifes boss.

The story on his King

My Dad had been in the State for less than 24 hours. Dad, my wifes boss and I hit the lil su. John, caught a small king. Then I followed. My dad was having a hell of a time as he had only used Zebco style push button reels. I started to cast my bait caster for dad and hand him the pole as soon as it hit the water. After a few cast, my dads line came to a stop upstream. I told him reel and to set the line. He looked at me funny as he was not feeling a bite. Anyways he did what I asked and the fight was on. It ran up and down river almost spooling him once. When he finally got it to the boat, the King saw the net which was small, it found new life and took off again. Finally as the king approached the back of the boat, my wifes boss attempted to net it. Well, the king thrashed and the front hook got caught on the net and the line snapped. The King was thrashing and was not in the net what so ever. Knowing it was just a matter of time, I jumped overboard, did I mention the water was really cold and deep. Anyways, I tackled the King, wrested it into the net so my wifes boss could pull it into the boat. There was not a dry hair on my body. Dad was soooooooo excited. Biggest fish he had ever seen. I took the picture from the bank. I'm surprized it was in focus as I was shivering like a dry leaf in the wind.

Dad & John King.JPG

I was out on my canoe, trolling for some supper, and a nice 14 inch trout started nibbling the worm on the spinner that was about 20 feet behind, so I waited for it to really take it, and I grabbed my pole and gave it a nice tug ( mind you, I am trolling along a bank fishing aorund snags) and as I set the hook fairly hard, my 5 1/2' pole hits a tree, well, now I got a 5 foot pole, landed the fish, and another 18 inch whopper, and headed home, at town 2 weeks later, I bought another top eye thing and I have fished with it ever since....landed a nice 14Lb and a 12Lb silver on it and a few pinks too.

About 15 minutes after this picture was taken my pup slipped and fell on the 7wt Sage RPLXI in the rear rod holder and turned the 3 pce into a 6 pce.

Kobuk River 093.jpg
    This Kobuk River sheefish broke the pole posted below.

Kobuk River 086.jpg

My best king rod is probably at least 25 years old (got it at Value Village 20 years ago). It has been broken in half pulling snags (I run 80lb braid because I got a cheap deal on a 2500 yd spool), had the sleeve where the two piece rod normally goes to together crushed and fixed with duct tape and an aluminum sleeve, has a radiator hose clamp to hold the reel on because the clamp on the rod tore in half, has duct tape holding on two of the guides, and crazy glue on the rest of the guides because the original glue dried up and flaked off.....................I still use it every year and catch kings in Ship, Deshka, & Lake Creek.

My favorite rockfish & silver mooching rod is a Value Village cheapo trout pole rated for 8 to 10 lb mono, it is rigged with 30lb braid, was snapped in half as the rear end of the boat swung through the bushes on 20-mile and then fixed by cutting out the snapped off part and using duct tape and aluminum sleeve, it also is on its third tip after crushing the others..............

I have some other similar rods, but.............well you get the idea

For those who say "what a cheap ass" I do have four brand new custom built halibut rods with all the fancy trimmings from Pinnacle Marine (although these were got via Ebay for $75/ea instead of the usual $200 for similar rods)................. and in keeping with tradition, I outfitted with them with 15 year old Penn 114H's that I got used from a Homer charter company for $25 each.

And then there are the railroad spike and scrap metal halibut weights..............but that is not what this thread is about.......................

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Titobandito,
    I don't care who you are,that's some funny s**t.....

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    My best king rod is probably at least 25 years old (got it at Value Village 20 years ago). It has been broken in half pulling snags (I run 80lb braid because I got a cheap deal on a 2500 yd spool), had the sleeve where the two piece rod normally goes to together crushed and fixed with duct tape and an aluminum sleeve, has a radiator hose clamp to hold the reel on because the clamp on the rod tore in half, has duct tape holding on two of the guides, and crazy glue on the rest of the guides because the original glue dried up and flaked off.....................I still use it every year and catch kings in Ship, Deshka, & Lake Creek.

My favorite rockfish & silver mooching rod is a Value Village cheapo trout pole rated for 8 to 10 lb mono, it is rigged with 30lb braid, was snapped in half as the rear end of the boat swung through the bushes on 20-mile and then fixed by cutting out the snapped off part and using duct tape and aluminum sleeve, it also is on its third tip after crushing the others..............

I have some other similar rods, but.............well you get the idea

For those who say "what a cheap ass" I do have four brand new custom built halibut rods with all the fancy trimmings from Pinnacle Marine (although these were got via Ebay for $75/ea instead of the usual $200 for similar rods)................. and in keeping with tradition, I outfitted with them with 15 year old Penn 114H's that I got used from a Homer charter company for $25 each.

And then there are the railroad spike and scrap metal halibut weights..............but that is not what this thread is about.......................
    Holy crap I guess what they say is true...In Alaska Duct Tape can fix almost anything...I would advise this to everyone do not try to fix a relationship with duct tape...It will not be beneficial to your health sitting behind bars lmao
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Ok I have one....Base camped out of the russian in July with june.....Got down friday mid day....Walked the russian...June and I catching some bows. Im below her on the river and I see her waving her hands at me...Im thinking bear....She just shrugs her shoulders and keeps fishing....We meet up on a gravel bar...Her 300 dollar perscription sunglasses just went down the river....Ok...So we fish and she gets tired...She goes back to camp...I come up a an hour or so later....She is just crying her eyes out sitting at the picnic table...Im thinking....Ok Im the guy....the husband what the **** did I do.....She just looks up at me and shows me her Sage 6wt snapped about a foot below the tip....Im like ok what happend...She took it in the restroom at the top of grayling so it would not get stolen...She tried to take it in the stall...Closed the door...Snap...Broke....I just smiled...Gave her a hug and said that is why we have more than one rod..
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Wink Some More Tales of Misery, Heartbreak and Agony

1) Camped at the Russian River and got up early to be one of the first on the water. Found a nice slot loaded with fish and made a cast with the fly rod. Snagged a log on the opposite bank. Waded across and reached down to remove the embedded hook. Snap! Didn't realize that I was holding the rod straight up when I bent down. The tip became tangled in tree branches overhead and took six inches right off the top of pole. Ended up racing up to the campsite for a back-up rod and returned to discover another angler already in my honey hole. Lessoned learned: avoid tunnel vision.

2) Snagged bottom while combat fishing below the confluence of the Russian and Kenai Rivers. Reeled up the slack line and gave a sharp pull in an effort to break free. The leader snapped and the entire upper half of my fly rod separated from the lower section. As if in slow motion, the piece fell into the swift, deep current and quickly disappeared -- never to be seen again. Lesson learned, always bring a back-up rod.

3) Rode ATVs to a remote creek for some salmon fishing. For the ride back to our vehicle, a buddy volunteered to secure my fly pole in his rod case since I hadn't used one on the first leg of our journey. With lots of rough bumps and brush along the trail, he was worried it might break on the way out. I took him up on the offer, but regretted my decision once back at the trailhead. Upon removing the rod from the protective tube, noticed that the ferule on the upper section of the pole was completely crushed. One more for the fishing gear grave yard. Lesson learned: good intentions should never be construed as guarantees -- especially among friends.

4) When I was 14, Santa Claus brought me a beautiful Quick spinning reel for Christmas. A few days later, Dad and I planned a winter steelhead trip. The night before our excursion, I stayed up late to load line on the new reel. Pulled it out of the box and tied a knot on the spool. Cranked the handled a few times and lost my grip. The reel dropped to the garage floor and hit hard. Ended up breaking off one of the feet that slips into the reel seat on the rod. My old man was mighty disappointed. He took it to every reel repair shop in the area and nobody could fix it. To this day, the busted reel remains in the original box at my parents' house and has never seen water. Lesson learned: never buy your kid the good stuff -- at least not until they can afford to replace it themselves should the need arise!

The wife...need I say more

If you need to replace a rod tip, check out Sportsman's Warehouse. They can do the job while you wait and only charge $1.99 for parts and labor!

[QUOTE=titobandito;927120]My best king rod is probably at least 25 years old (got it at Value Village 20 years ago). It has been broken in half pulling snags (I run 80lb braid because I got a cheap deal on a 2500 yd spool), had the sleeve where the two piece rod normally goes to together crushed and fixed with duct tape and an aluminum sleeve, has a radiator hose clamp to hold the reel on because the clamp on the rod tore in half, has duct tape holding on two of the guides, and crazy glue on the rest of the guides because the original glue dried up and flaked off.....................I still use it every year and catch kings in Ship, Deshka, & Lake Creek.

After at trip to Homer this weekend I can add two each 40 lb halibuts jigged in 140 ft of water with 200 ft of line on the spool to the jalopy broken king rod fish-count

6-7 years ago I was fishing the Yakima River in WA. After a good morning of fishing with several chunky bows to net, I headed to my truck for lunch. After getting my lunch from the cab, I had a bonehead moment and leaned my rod against the truck.....inside the door frame with the door open! About 15 minutes later, as I'm sitting on the tailgate enjoying a sandwich and a beer, WHOOSH! A gust of wind comes from absolutely nowhere on an otherwise windless day, closing the door! It was only a Cortland 2-piece 6-weight, but I certainly didn't go there to lose a rod! Thankfully I always take a spare and was able to fish thru the afternoon.

Default Disappearing Rod

I was surf fishing off the coast of North Carolina at Fort Fisher when I lost a rod. It didnt break but it flew out the sand pike I had it in. I had just bought the rod and reel that day. After netting some cut bait, a friend and I drove to our favorite surf fishing area. We had been fishing for a few hours, catching some small fish here and there. I went to check my line and to put some fresh bait on it and but it back in the sand pike and sat down. I looked down to grab a drink out of the cooler and when I looked up my rod was gone. My buddy didn't see it take off either because he was cutting up bait. Man, we walked through the surf looking for that rod., hoping to find it, but it was long gone. It had to be a big fish or small shark to to pull it out of the sand pike which was still planted securely. It was also a pretty heavy rod and reel. Cost me about 100+ bucks
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I was Tuna fishing about 40 miles off the Oregon coast out of Charleston, I came up along side a school of tuna, I cast a swim bait into the school, hooked up on contact with the water. The fish went around the stern of the boat, and then under the boat, I was leaning over the side with the rod tip in the water, the line was screaming off the real, I tightened the drag, still screaming, tighten again, snap the rod broke just above the first eye, now a 3 foot rod and still screaming, tightened again, snap the 35 lb line broke. The other fish we got out of the school weighed 36-1/2lb, big albacore.