Thread: Anyone use an umbrella for hunting like some do in Africa?

Question Anyone use an umbrella for hunting like some do in Africa?

OK, watching TV and this guide is hunting buffalo behind a dark umbrella (actually dark purple) to use as cover to move across fields. Would this work on large game up north? Neat trick as they got real close to a herd. Maybe a camouflage umbrella would work better even?

Two thoughts on this...

I'm sure it would work. Once I cut out a cardboard representation of an Angus cow that I used to sneak up on ducks on our pond.
    but
    Why not just wear a costume that looks like the animal? A full-grown man is roughly the same size as a Dall sheep. I'm a little leery of this idea for moose though. If you dress up like a moose and go snorting around in the bushes...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The PH on the show stated that this was an old African hunters trick from years back. Cool concept, and cheap if it would work on this side of the pond.

Don't remember what tv show it was but I saw a guide do the same thing with a black umbrela stalking black bear in the open. Worked for them.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I bet a brown ubrella for moose would work like a charm or greyish white for caribou!

Brett

PS> Saw the show too. I've been watching Under Wild Skies since I was a kid. It's part of the reason I'm so interested in hunting Africa!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Two thoughts on this...

I'm sure it would work. Once I cut out a cardboard representation of an Angus cow that I used to sneak up on ducks on our pond.
    but
    Why not just wear a costume that looks like the animal? A full-grown man is roughly the same size as a Dall sheep. I'm a little leery of this idea for moose though. If you dress up like a moose and go snorting around in the bushes...
    The costume may seem like a good idea...until some yahoo with a cow tag opens up on you. About the last thing I want is to dress up like the critter everyone else is trying to kill. A Darwin Award in the making...

I saw Jim Shockey using an umbrella in Africa, except it was either one of his trackers or the skinner holding it over his head , so his hair wouldn't get wet........for once he hunted without his hat, however he still wears the neckerchief around his neck.

There are a number of websites that are stores that specalize in dog training supplies. They sell camo umbrellas, both in the smaller standard size and very large ones like beach or patio umbrellas that are camo and have windows in them covered with clear vinyl for use in dog training. I have used the smaller type for duck hunting when a small portable blind was necessary. Also nice in the blind on days it is rainy. Bud

There was a video out a couple years back at Sportsman's Warehouse where a guide had a hunter sneak across a gravel bar for a Brown using a black garbage bag and black umbrella. If I remember correctly the bear crossed the river thinking it was a black and came right to him for a closer discussion of his fishing hole.