Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Pebble

  1. #1
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default Pebble

    An article about investor groups asking the EPA for a closer look at Pebble. It's interesting because the groups asking for the review own shares in Anglo American.

    http://www.adn.com/2011/04/12/180631...oups-zero.html

  2. #2

    Default

    I get a kick out of some of the pro pebble comments that the natives need the mine for jobs. The lower 48 union halls got love that.

    I doubt the investors could care about Alaska, the environment or anything but profits. And there will be enormous profits for foreign company's who have discovered Alaska is quite willing to be a colony and have it's resources extracted for a few jobs.

    Good move by the investors. Request a study, make some minor changes to keep the EPA happy, Then when the disaster happens just run around yelling " The EPA said it was OK! "

  3. #3
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Not saying your 100% wrong Jim, but having spent time at Red Dog Mine, I can say there are a ton of local folks employed there and no union....At least not when I was there.

    I suppose they are just trying to see if they are going to get stopped by regulations before they go ahead and spend a zillion dollars on the inital investmets...

  4. #4

    Default

    Smart Investors
    Better to be Pro-Active than Re-Active...everytime.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Are you saying its better to ask for permission than for forgiveness?

    Maybe I misjudged you Res.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Are you saying its better to ask for permission than for forgiveness?

    Maybe I misjudged you Res.

    LOL...Just always seemed easier for me to drag a logging chain than push one...having tried both!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    I know R.D. Mine employs a lot of locals but a lot of lower 48 people also. Like my bro in law from Wyoming. He also told me all the crap they put down their to get the mineral out of there.No thanks for Bristol Bay.

  8. #8

    Default

    In the meantime, on a parallel track, Donlin Creek mine, another large proposed mining complex within a couple of hundred miles and in the neighboring watershed of the proposed Peeble mine site, goes chugging along unabated by the environmental cat calls and faux fish follies.

  9. #9
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vidalia View Post
    In the meantime, on a parallel track, Donlin Creek mine, another large proposed mining complex within a couple of hundred miles and in the neighboring watershed of the proposed Peeble mine site, goes chugging along unabated by the environmental cat calls and faux fish follies.
    Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

    I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

    Tim

  10. #10
    Member jrt34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

    I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

    Tim

    Tim, don't get hung up on formalities. These guys have dumped hundreds of millions into their "pre-permitting" work and NEPA document. This thing is coming. There's no need to wait for a formal permit application in order to form a response (negative or positive)

  11. #11
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Shoot! Don't bring attention too it! Funny how one area must be perceived as more fragile than another. Donlin's on private property though, so they don't have much of a fight.

    I'm hoping the investor company is just preempting and heading-off lawsuits. Maybe make it easier to permit and get built. Sad to see the negative response to this mine when they haven't even applied for a permit.

    Tim
    You seen to have formed an opinion before the permitting. So it's ok to be supportive before anything is done, but not skeptical? Go figure.

  12. #12
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Ironic I guess, but I'm pro-development and even more so since the enviro groups oppose every single project in the entire state-except maybe the gas line since they know it isn't getting built. They're out of control. If not Pebble, where? If not Chuitna where? Can't lock everything up.

    Its one thing to be for/against development, but the enviros are trying to kill mining statewide over this issue, remember the vote two years ago? If I remember right, they were trying to kill every mine over 300 acres, which is a fairly small mine.

    Tim

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    If not Pebble, where? If not Chuitna where? Can't lock everything up.
    Almost anywhere else, Tim. I'm pro-development as well and would love to see more mines, oil drilling, etc., but Pebble and Chuitna are two of the absolute worst places for such mines to occur. Renewable resources like salmon are more important than coal, copper, molybdenum, oil, etc. I'd love to see more exploration on the North Slope, more mining in the interior away from major salmon-producing streams, more use of the timber resources on the Kenai Peninsula and other places affected by bark beetles, etc...but there is such a thing as the wrong place for development, especially in the form of open-pit mines with cyanide leaching and stripping up miles of riverbed. Jobs matter, but it doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. As pro-development sportsmen, we should hope for better.

  14. #14

    Default

    Nice summation Brian. I wonder how many of these Dan Fagan any development anywhere no matter what the cost types have actually been to the areas they wish to destroy.

  15. #15
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    drill baby drill!! lest take all we can from earth! heck thats what its here for!
    Semper Fi!

  16. #16
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Earth FIRST!!!!!!
















    We'll strip mine the others later
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  17. #17
    Member akaviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Almost anywhere else, Tim. I'm pro-development as well and would love to see more mines, oil drilling, etc., but Pebble and Chuitna are two of the absolute worst places for such mines to occur. Renewable resources like salmon are more important than coal, copper, molybdenum, oil, etc. I'd love to see more exploration on the North Slope, more mining in the interior away from major salmon-producing streams, more use of the timber resources on the Kenai Peninsula and other places affected by bark beetles, etc...but there is such a thing as the wrong place for development, especially in the form of open-pit mines with cyanide leaching and stripping up miles of riverbed. Jobs matter, but it doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. As pro-development sportsmen, we should hope for better.
    .
    I'm with you on all the above. I am pro development but not at the expense of the richest fishing grounds in the world. I'm just hoping there's somebody with a freakin' clue that brings a halt to this beast.

  18. #18
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Nice summation Brian. I wonder how many of these Dan Fagan any development anywhere no matter what the cost types have actually been to the areas they wish to destroy.
    Commercial fished in Bristol Bay from '97-'06. Sport fished Iliamna '84-88 and the mid-90s, flown over it many times with my dad.

    Don't fish go up the Kuskokwim? Where's the howling over Donlin Creek? It'll be the largest gold mine ever in AK when it starts producing. Like I said, the "drill, baby drill" is a direct result of the no development at any cost crowd. Challenging the expansion of Red Dog; Wishbone hills. No fish runs up there.

    Tim

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Commercial fished in Bristol Bay from '97-'06. Sport fished Iliamna '84-88 and the mid-90s, flown over it many times with my dad.

    Don't fish go up the Kuskokwim? Where's the howling over Donlin Creek? It'll be the largest gold mine ever in AK when it starts producing. Like I said, the "drill, baby drill" is a direct result of the no development at any cost crowd. Challenging the expansion of Red Dog; Wishbone hills. No fish runs up there.

    Tim
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Donlin....html?x=0&.v=1

    Donlin Looks like a real winner for Anchorage residents. I thought we were running out of gas? Maybe I can heat my home with gold?

    DCLLC is considering the construction of an underground 12-inch pipeline approximately 525 kilometers (325 miles) from the upper Cook Inlet area to the proposed Donlin Creek mine site. Gas from the pipeline would be used to produce electricity at site. The capital cost of the pipeline could be partially offset by cost savings from elimination of the wind cogeneration facility, the potential for a shorter access road and a significant reduction in requirements for diesel storage, with some additional cost reduction opportunities. The potential impact of the pipeline option on capital and operating costs will be addressed in a revision to the project feasibility study.

  20. #20
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I thought we were running out of gas? Maybe I can heat my home with gold?
    At the rate gas prices are increasing, it might be cost effective......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •