Thread: Will the new 2-strokes troll?

Default Will the new 2-strokes troll?

I am repowering. Converting from a sterndrive to a 225 HP outboard. Will the Optimax or e-Tec troll without fouling plugs? Anyone with experience? I do not want to start a Optimax/e-tec war or a 2-stroke/4 war. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Default trolling with 90HP e-tec

I've had no trouble so far trolling with an e-tec. I have twin 90's on my 25 Harbercraft. I troll with both engines down and one running. The engine that is not running helps slow me down a little. With my set up, I can troll at about 1.7 to 2.0 kts (depending on wind). I just have to have the one engine at idle but in gear. To keep hours equal on the engines I usually run one for an hour or two and then shut off and switch to the other. I've never had to go to neutral and rev the engine to blow it out as you usually have to do with a conventional 2-stroke after a while. I don't think you would have a problem with trolling with these engines, but there could be an issue getting slow enough depending on the size of the motor relative to your boat. I don't run a kicker because my transom mounting area is full with the twin engines, but a 4-stroke kicker might be the way to go if you can't get slow enough. It mey also be the way to go if you plan on doing a lot of trolling since you'd end up putting a load of hours on your main motor (especially if you are not running twins).

I had 1999 optimax 225 and trolled all day with it, I know all the 4 stroke V6s will troll all day without fouling plugs too (there no different than idling your new car). With a larger boat I am forced to troll with the big motor when it gets windy.

2006 F250 Yamaha varibule cam-timing (awesome low end torque)
    2006 HTF8 Yamaha trolling
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins