Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Shrimp Opener--Who's In ???

Default PWS Shrimp Opener--Who's In ???

I have been lusting after a trip into PWS and have one planned for the end of the month, but after a buddy called today, we decided to try for this weekend as well. It will be my first trip into PWS and first shrimping trip--so a bit stoked. I'll also admit a bit nervous since I haven't dealt with the launch in Whittier and here nothing but bad stories and then the added disarray with the construction and lack of parking increase my concern--but what the hay, we'll give it a try anyway.

Curious who else will be out and about. The way its looking is I will run to Homer to pull the boat from the water then hit Whittier first thing Saturday morning and stay through Sunday afternoon. If anyone is around and see us, White/Maroon SeaSport Sportsman with small Achilles on top--give us a shout. Likely going to head out north somewhere--weather permitting.DSC_0299.jpg

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I`ll be there with a friend in my Achilles...water looks to be good and we`ll be out around Ester and further if weather holds.

Good luck!

Call sign...Heavy Hitter

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I'm gonna be too busy to get the boat ready. I paid the tax man though.... Hope there will be some parking ready soon. Anybody know if the dirt parking lot is plowed yet? It sounds like the paved lots are mostly full of construction equipment. If you get out leave some shrimp for me!!

I might be out there. I'll probably make that decision tonight or tomorrow.

I'll be out as well. We leave Friday afternoon and we'll be back Sunday, assuming my wife doesn't wuss out due to the cold nights. Look for us in a white Pacific Cruiser. We'll probably be around Cochran or up north around College and Harriman Fjord.

Don't worry about the launch and such. Its really not as big of a deal as folks make it out to be. They nickle and dime you to death but its only 45 minutes from town and you get to explore a beautiful place. Plan on $20 for the tunnel, $20 to launch and $10 a day to park.

Nice boat Wildbill and hope to see you out there.

I hear they are loading 3 trucks from the shrimp hatchery to supply all you guys with bugs, now fight nice when gathering around the shrimp hole!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I think I will be heading out on the following Thursday for three days if the weather holds. As nice as it is looking, I may take the boat down to Whittier and dump it in the slip so I am ready to go. Make sure you take some pictures. It looks like it will be an epic weekend. Oh yea, and don't forget to write down gps coordinates for me on your best producing spots so I don't waste time when I go out...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I hear they are loading 3 trucks from the shrimp hatchery to supply all you guys with bugs, now fight nice when gathering around the shrimp hole!!
    Potbuilder are you pulling my leg? Shrimp hatchery? not serious? or serious? I'm sure I really sound dumb now.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Potbuilder are you pulling my leg? Shrimp hatchery? not serious? or serious? I'm sure I really sound dumb now.
    Not serious. I considered going with it...but man, after a long winter, joking about shrimp is serious business.

I sure hope the weather continues to hold the way folks think--would love my first strip to be "epic" -- but again, some of my best times in Alaska have been in the worst of weather.

Any old salts wanna share honey holes, please feel free to PM me. Will take any help I can get starting out. Cannot promise it will only be this trip, as I hope to make it back the last weekend in May--so would likely use any successful pointers at least twice per year. Could promise to keep it within the damily though.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    I sure hope the weather continues to hold the way folks think--would love my first strip to be "epic" -- but again, some of my best times in Alaska have been in the worst of weather.

Any old salts wanna share honey holes, please feel free to PM me. Will take any help I can get starting out. Cannot promise it will only be this trip, as I hope to make it back the last weekend in May--so would likely use any successful pointers at least twice per year. Could promise to keep it within the damily though.
    Clear your pm box. You be full!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Next year on the fishing license there is going to be a shrimp tag/tax that you'll have to pay to keep the hatchery going and producing more of those tasty bugs !! or how about a booth at all the boat ramps where you'll be able to swipe your credit card for a increase in the shrimp pot limit, want to fish 4 extra pots?? sure its $20 bucks per pot per day!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Oops, bad form. Its all clear and even made extra room for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Next year on the fishing license there is going to be a shrimp tag/tax that you'll have to pay to keep the hatchery going and producing more of those tasty bugs !! or how about a booth at all the boat ramps where you'll be able to swipe your credit card for a increase in the shrimp pot limit, want to fish 4 extra pots?? sure its $20 bucks per pot per day!!
    Steve, that's how we got some of the laws we have now. Someone said something as a joke, someone else hears it and says "Ya know....."

I'll just tell'em to put it on your tab!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post

PM sent check messages.

I'll be going out. This is the first time I've actually been ready, usually I'm not ready until mid-May.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

We will be headed out Friday morning, probably shoot Culross and hang around the Nellie Juan. Plan to stay out tell Sunday and hopefully bring home a mess of fresh shrimp. Out last weekend but nothing really biting yet, perhaps this weekend warmer weather will create some appetite for jigs.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

We are bringing a few rods and will likely jig and soak a few baits when not simply exploring to see if the PWS fishery is as hard as everyone says. Would love to catch a yellow eye. For the fish I have sought out in Alaska, Yellow Eye, Ling Cod, and Shefish are those still missing from my list.I know I have to wait until later for lings, but a few rockfish would still be fun.

Hey everyone good luck and be safe over the weekend, if i had a boat i'd be out there with youze guys!! Leave me a few crumbs???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Was all ready to hit PWS this weekend. Until I fired up the boat yesterday and now instead of PWS it will be the mechanic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast