Thread: Montague Island Port Chalmers Cabin

Thumbs up Montague Island Port Chalmers Cabin

Has anyone stayed at the public use Port Chalmers cabin? I rented it for a week at the end of August and was wondering what to expect. Silvers? Deer? shrimp? Halibut? Moorage? cabin condition? any info about the area would be a real help, my brothers are coming up from Minnesota for the trip and I would like to show them the best possible time. Thanks.. TF in Fairbanks.

I seem to remember a bear/deer story from around there; use the search function with keywords "montague" and "bear"; the poster was "John S"; he had a link to a website with video and everything. I think he was there around september, believe he visited the cabin or someone at the cabin who was deer hunting.

That was a great story thanks for the responce. I found another guy with a similar web site with some info in the same area. Google "Neil Moomey" if interested.

Yah: that moomey site looks alot like the chalmers cabin actually. Anyhow, I haven't been on that side of the island. I did hear word of mouth a few years ago that someone hooked into some silvers that were schooling around at high tide very close to the cabin, and there is a stream about a mile away.

I have heard that the saltwater fishing is good on that side of the island; I think for silvers and halibut. There is some kind of operation (hatchery? pen rearing?) that puts a bunch of chums out near there.

Please post a report when you return. Good luck.

Default Port Chalmers

I went out blacktail hunting there back in Nov 04. There was 2 feet of snow on the ground, but it rained all night and there was no snow in the morning, but a creek under the cabin. There were literally hundreds of salmon carcasses all around the cove there all the way up to the cabin, so there are fish, and lots of bear. There are deer, but the area within a mile or 2 of the cabin has been hunted really hard, so you may see immature bucks running around, nothing to write home about. The cabin is really nice for what it is. Heat runs off a oil stove. You also have a wood stove. Not sure if it will be terribly cold in Aug. Out house about 50 yards off in the brush. If it rains hard (and it does that time of year at Montague), the water from the runoff will trickle into the outhouse storage tank, and you may get your feet wet with floating nasties. I have some pictures I can try to post. The pictures from Neil Moomey are pretty much the same I have, but more snow. Hopefully this helps a little. I didn't fish, so I can't help with that. Good luck.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    I have heard that the saltwater fishing is good on that side of the island; I think for silvers and halibut. There is some kind of operation (hatchery? pen rearing?) that puts a bunch of chums out near there.

Please post a report when you return. Good luck.
    Remote release from the Ester Hatchery. However, the Chums are generally all gone by early July.

There is some GREAT halibut fishing outside of Stockdale. Not far from Graveyard.............

I will be going right by graveyard/stockdale area. Thanks for that info I will be sure to check it out. Did you find them on the humps between graveyard and stockdale? or out a little deeper in the mud? Did you get into any Black Bass off those rocky points? That whole area looks real interesting on the google earth sat photos. It should be a great trip if all things mechanical keep working. I get nervous going that far out.

Are you hiring a guide to take you out, or are you doing it solo? We took a charter out of Whittier and once we broke into the sound, the swells kicked our butts. We had to turn around and wait for the next day. And coming back was a treat. We ended up doing a "rescue mission" to a couple of fellows that had been stranded for a week out on one of the islands because their transport could not get to them. But then again, this was November. Also, once you get to the cabin, rumor has it, there is a nice Rugar Blackhawk at the bottom of the cove. Guy was getting off the boat and it fell in. I'm sure it is pretty much junk right now, but what a story! I am still looking for pictures. I found ones of the ride out, but none of the cabin on disk. Only loose photos. Shoot me a PM and I can tell you as much as I can from memory of where to go and where to avoid. Lots of photo ops if you want to climb the peak. It should be fairly snow free.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    I will be going right by graveyard/stockdale area. Thanks for that info I will be sure to check it out. Did you find them on the humps between graveyard and stockdale? or out a little deeper in the mud? Did you get into any Black Bass off those rocky points? That whole area looks real interesting on the google earth sat photos. It should be a great trip if all things mechanical keep working. I get nervous going that far out.
    I have fished the "pinacles" outside of graveyard. Sort of draw a line from graveyard over to Green Island and there are a few humps out there. You don't have to go out to far so stay close in to Montague/Stockdale. One of the pinacles rises up to 30ft. I dropped an anchor right on top of it and was able to catch quite a few right there.

Yea, I saw those humps on the sea chart, If things go alright, I will check it out and post how we did. Thanks for the help. TF

Thumbs up Port Chalmer cabin

I stay in the cabin last fall, we had a blast!! The cabin is in a very tidal area, when the tide is out, there is a pretty good hike to the cabin and at low tide itís hard to see the cabin, from the bay. Most of the bay is not very deep some watch your depths when you go in there. Go to the large rocky point at the end of the bay, follow it around (left) about 250yds to the cabin. You can anchor 200yds off that rocky point, there is a mud bottem that hold an anchor real well. The salmon pool up when the tide is out in the mouth of the stream, they were thick. We never saw any bears, however with all that food, you know they are not that far away! I was blessed with perfect weather over and back in my 24 footer not a wave over 6Ē However one day while we were there the winds had to be blowing 60+ across the bay!! We didnít do much fishing when we were there, but I have heard around Applegate & Green island there is lots of good fishing.

Default Great Cabin

Stayed there a few times deer hunting, some nice brown bear sightings. Great fishing if have a small boat.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Calling predator control or other chalmers area fishermen:

Catch anything?

thx

Default Chalmers Cabin

Yea we had a great trip. Only had a couple days of wind/rain over the week. We were a little early for abundant silvers (arrived 08/19) but always caught plenty. We liked fishing the streams with fly rods for them. We caught halibut but had to work for them, biggest was 60lbs. Caught some nice Ling and yellow eye near the needle (10 mile run south). Shot 3 nice bucks up high in the alpine. Only saw one bear across from the cabin a few days in a row. Cabin is fine. no covered deck and on the small side but its still a pleasure to stay in. The bay at the cabin goes dry. You have to anchor about 400yds to the North to avoid that. The big problem is the distance. We were out of Valdez and I felt pretty vulnerable in my 22' boat. But everything mechanical worked smooth and we filled all the coolers with fish and game. I would highly recommend the trip. But one down side note was we only caught one shrimp all week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 55.jpg (246.1 KB, 265 views)

Nice buck! Sure looks like a long hike tho'.

good score, P-C!!!