Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ptarmigan - and wolves!- live here.

Default Ptarmigan - and wolves!- live here.

A couple of the many images I created this past week in ptarmigan country here in interior Alaska.
    The ptarmigan is a true wilderness bird. Never to be tamed or raised in captivity. Ptarmigan live in harsh, but gorgeous high country; places that will humble you and cause you to breathe deeply of the crisp fresh mountain air; places - and game birds - that will bring a smile to your face and to your heart, and cause you to forget about the trials and concerns of everyday life, even if just for a short time.

And if that isn't enough, the site of a lone wolf track moving uphill just ahead of you - a beautiful and formiddable predator likely also hunting for ptarmigan or bigger game - is an awesome sight and a thought provoking experience.

It was indeed a glorious day to be alive, and to be in that place.
    Jim

aahhhhh....Calgon...I mean ptarmigan take me away!

Nice country...wish I could find some ptarmigan country with that mellow of a slope.... No wonder you live in the interior :-)
    Last edited by Burke; 04-12-2011 at 22:39. Reason: add

Just another day in paradise, eh Jim?
    Great pics, whata day out!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

With the limit down to five birds, you've got more room for camera equipment. I am definitely enjoying the fruits of your labor. Beautiful mountains!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

We do live in a beautiful place, that's for sure. I hope we can keep it that way forever.

Thanks.

Jim

Love being in the mountains! Just something humbling about looking up at those peaks!

Have you filmed that ptarmigan hunt for the tv show yet, Mr. McCann? You'll be able to model a new line of summer wear if you go this week.
    Last edited by SkinnyD; 04-18-2011 at 10:37. Reason: poor punctuation

Skinny,

The crew comes in tomorrow and we'll be "working" Wed thru Friday. Supposed to snow this week.

Jim

Skinny,

Well, just got home from the first day of shooting the American Gun Dog show. I'm tired. The wind was really whiping up a storm and the temp was only 10 degrees. But the sun did shine all day.

Day started out with no birds in sight, and the American Gun Dog guys didn't bring snowshoes like I told them to, so none of us wore them and that made things real tough on each of us. Eventually my dogs did what they do and found us some birds. We had two rocks in the bag with two top camera guys catching all of it. We had a show! Then my dogs found more birds and we had a better show. One of the cameramen got me shooting a nice double after he did some close-ups of my young dog Charlie standing staunch point in the stiff wind. We got plenty enough birds for a successful show and ended the day very happy.

I know I have great dogs but I still worried about how they would perform today in front of the camera. Of course, for two of my dogs, 3 year old Charlie and 6 year old Rudy, it was just another day of hunting and they turned in another top performance.

We go out again tomorrow.

Jim

The American Gun Dog website appears to be a little out of date, but I am fairly sure I remember them from the days when I had cable tv. I'm glad they caught your double on camera, but it sounds like the dogs stole the show again.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    but it sounds like the dogs stole the show again.
    Dont they always!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Default When in Rome...

I think I would take the snowshoes out today. They obviously haven't heeded the above...

Well, my dogs made me look good again today! And we sure found a bunch of birds and got some more great footage. For a while we had 3 year old Charlie fitted with a "dog cam" and that was a lot of fun. The show should air sometime in September on the "Sportsman's Channel." We're trying to schedule a ruffed/sharptail grouse hunt this fall.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Well, my dogs made me look good again today! And we sure found a bunch of birds and got some more great footage. For a while we had 3 year old Charlie fitted with a "dog cam" and that was a lot of fun. The show should air sometime in September on the "Sportsman's Channel." We're trying to schedule a ruffed/sharptail grouse hunt this fall.

Jim
    Be neat to see the show! I don't wish summer away very often, but I'm ready for fall.........

Default ptarmagin-and wolves-and Jim!-live here

Can't wait to see this show Jim. Gonna be so neat to say, hey, I know that guy!

Hoyt I know how ya feel. Aug 10th can't come soon enough!
    Plenty to keep us busy till then

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Can't wait to see this show Jim. Gonna be so neat to say, hey, I know that guy!

Hoyt I know how ya feel. Aug 10th can't come soon enough!
    Plenty to keep us busy till then
    Soooooo true!

After having done four national TV shows, and now doing this American Gun Dog show, got to tell ya how the scary thing for me is to see what the editors do with all the stuff we did and said. After each day of hunting we did what is called "B roll" stuff and interviews. If the editors start taking pieces and parts and mixing them up incorrectly the host, Harley Jackson, and I, might sound pretty stupid. As I was putting them on the airplane today we were still going over stuff and I was trying to make sure they had things straight, like the sex of some of the birds we shot. Doing such a show isn't as easy as one might expect!

On the second day I chose to take along my 10 year old Rusty as well as Charlie the three year old. Man, he is one heckuva good bird dog and we've had some great times together over those ten years, but like me, he is getting on in years and I think it will show in the final result. Rusty was pretty tired humping it up and down those slopes, breaking through the snow a lot, and then slipping on the icy slopes. I rested him often (and I don't think the cameramen who were carrying 35 pound cameras and heavy backpacks with extra batteries and such minded it one bit) but he may appear slow in the final rendition, much slower than he once was. I love old dogs and I've now got two of them. I just might take my 13+ year old Buddy out for a special ptarmigan hunt this weekend, just Buddy and me, and hopefully I can find some birds near the road for him.

Had some fun with a small camera attached to a harness on Charlie's back. I'll just make you wait to see what we did with that camera.

I'm a lucky guy. I hope I somehow earned such luck along the way.

Jim

Wow, I can't wait for this episode to come out, if you get a final date set make sure you post a reminder as I know all of us will be in the woods in the fall. I'll be positive to have the DVR set up for this one.

You bet I will, Helmuth!

Jim

yep! Ready to see the McCann clan in action!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast