Thread: Fly in Moose

Default Fly in Moose

Just wanted to gather some opinions. I've been up here in AK for 2 years now and finally have what looks like could be a my first full summer/fall fishing/hunting year. Constant TDY's for the military always messed with any planned trip. This year will be different.

So my question is that I have the opportunity to do a fly-in hunt, out of Anchorage to almost anywhere. (May drive and shuttle from somewhere) But where would be a good spot to go.

Any advice would be great...I know the common heavily hunted areas w/in driving distance from Anchorage but don't know what areas outside of that would be good.

yankee........welcome to the forum.........
    While it ain't for moose, I suggest you consider a fly-in caribou hunt 15 or 16 driving hours way north.....out of Cold Foot or Happy Valley. Some grizz and sheep and wolf also avail.
    Without sounding "parental", check the archives or at least the last month of threads for air support options and (many) other areas that may meet your goals.
    Following your two "huntless" years in AK and the military deployments, I strongly suggest caribou because of the extremely high probability of success on multiple animals.

If it has to be a moose, I suggest a bush flight out of Dillingham with BAY AIR......(contact info in the archives)

Thank you for your service!!! I think you would have more success going out of Bethel with Papa Bear Adventures. http://www.pbadventures.com/

If you're set on moose, I'd say fly west of Fairbanks, into one of the 'any bull' areas. I do agree on caribou, for success, though. Animals that are herd animals, vs solitary animals(moose), are just dumber and easier to find in general. Not to mention VERY tasty and easier to butcher and pack in the field.

Are you planning on going solo or with partners? I wouldn't dare go after a moose solo unless he was in my backyard. Especially since you want to fly in, I assume you wont have a quad, canoe or anything like that. I think I could handle a caribou by myself on foot, but I wouldn't mess around with a moose unless you have support. Good luck though.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

There was a pretty hot thread recently about the moose in 16B. You could practically swim there from Anchorage. It's hard to find a place with moose behind every tree and no bears to worry about, but that is the situation across the inlet from you.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    There was a pretty hot thread recently about the moose in 16B. You could practically swim there from Anchorage. It's hard to find a place with moose behind every tree and no bears to worry about, but that is the situation across the inlet from you.
    I wondered how long till one of these posts showed up.

Everyone thanks for the advice, my father-in-law will be accompany me so I will have help for sure. I am planning on trying the 40 mile herd with a couple friends of mine this year, so I will hopefully get a bou during that. I hear it gets hammered but if you actually hunt, you should have a good chance of success. I really want the moose more or less for my father-in-law as he is far more of a die hard hunter than me. This will be like dream for him, a fly in moose hunt in Alaska...it can't get better than that. I have a friend who has a plane so we'll use him for transport. Thanks again for the info and I'll dig through the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeehunter View Post
    I have a friend who has a plane so we'll use him for transport. Thanks again for the info and I'll dig through the archives.
    The above info should have been included in your first post. Now that the readers know you are using a friend as your aircraft transporter perhaps more info wil be provided that is relevent.
    It would also be good to know just how far your "friend" is willing to fly his airplane to get you into a good moose area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!