Thread: Advice imigrating to alaska from uk

Angry Advice imigrating to alaska from uk

Hi my dream is to live out my life as an alaskan citizen, im a tradesman (joiner) from scotland, would like to be part off a comunity & bring my skills their & my dream to hunt & trap in winter from a wall tent. As us imigration laws stand seem to be the hardest country in the world im told to get in (is it just as hard to get into alaska) ? can any one guide me to what the simpleist way to go about this to make it easier for me to see my dream come true ? il appreciate any advice or ideas as it really is the place i want to spend the rest off my days thanks

uhh.. Alaska is the U.S. ????????? or did I miss something?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Last I heard Alaska is part of the US, so why would it be easier here for immigration? A wall tent in winter now that sounds like fun! Good luck.

Good for you, but no... unfortunately Alaska is not a sovereign nation with its own immigration procedure.
    If you have spunk you could live as many did in the past, with a wall tent. But most who did that tried to move onto something better as soon as they could. Alaska winters are long and cold!
    Many hunters from the British Isles and the continent came to hunt Alaska in the early 1900s, and of course many Scotts explored Canada for the fur companies, so there is a lot of history in the north for those from your neck of the woods. I have heard it said that Halibut Cove across the bay from Homer, was home to hundreds of Scottish lassies every spring during the heyday of herring fishing. They put up a "Scotch Cure".

yes well they say you learn something new evry day & thats a first for me about the scottish lassies lol . but hey you do know your history about us scots yes we are a plenty in the northern counties off canada & alaska so good to know some people still rember we played a big part out their GD DGD

i do know alaska is the usa even when they bought the land from ussr & how much ! i was just wondering if it was easier to be allowed to stay their as theirs not a high population & heard the us government encouraged people to live their as it would help bring more taxes into the country making it more prosperious

"Joiner" ...... took me a few minutes to figure that one out. The carpentry/home building work up here is seasonal, which would give you decent support for winter bush living as long as you could get a decent job in the summer and keep your costs low. However, the business is slowing down right now with few housing starts. Lots of remodeling though. But you will have to be a legit worker with a green card in order to get a pay check.

The US does not have a region specific immigration policy. If they did then the INS would not be busting Mexican and Philipino workers on the fish processing ships in the Bering Sea. Nor would they be having much concern over the Russians for human trafficing in the strip clubs and illegal brothels.

heard the us government encouraged people to live their as it would help bring more taxes into the country making it more prosperious
    This was the policy in the few years after WWII when they needed a larger local population to support the military bases left behind from the war effort. However the policy died off after statehood in 1959. Then the 1970's and the oil boom pretty much filled things up and never stopped.

We don't pay state income taxes so nobody in the region is propsering off of us. The feds squeeze out a little but they do that no matter where you live.

The days of colonization are long over. However, the Russians appear to have some kind of edge on the system. Not sure why or how.

The easiest way is to get a tourist visa and then go into the Bush and never come out. While in the Bush find a local girl and marry her, have a mess of kids. Then start filling out all the forms and paying all the fees to get legal citizenship. With a wife and all those anchor babies you will sure to get some attention.

The best place to start would be to check out the USCIS website.

Hey AK Ray thanks for letting me know the state off the building trade & that their was not much houses getting built i didnt know this opened my eye`s & also helping me get to know the way alaska works a little - taxes etc. i know id have to get green card its just a concern the regulations are so tight & even whe accepted can take years! iv lead a descent life working hard but played hard to so i dont have gr8t deal off savings just got this pinning to become a trapper & live out in nature as iv always luved nature & had it with town life, though i would enjoy summer with any new friends iv mett. (joiner) lol yes a carpenter i guess you call it over their aha least you worked it out. you wern`t serious about me coming over for a holiday on a visa then doin a runner does it happen ? i mean can see it happen with us citizens not an imigrant from scotland uk if i got caught plus the fire arms & ilegal trapping & evrything else id get a long prison sentence wouldn`t i ? that be seriouse but yh it would be living the dream to lol il check the uscis as you said as i got to start some where & the legal processing .

Dude,
    Why don't you just move to the Yukon...
    It's even better than Alaska and less populated.
    Most of Canada still belongs to the Queen anyways.
    I think a UK citizen can even legally work in many of the old colonies like Canada and Australia>

hi akclimber i guess i just like alaska more than canada the history , the people & this is the second time been told alaska is over populated cant understand this ! not wher i want to go above fort yukon no body their dude but the odd tourist coming through !!! alaska for me always

I was joking about the tourist visa and anchor babies. However, millions of people have done this without the visa part. Lots of Central American's have illegally entered the US, worked jobs no American wants to work at wages so low no American would take the job. They have a few kids and by law the kids are US citizens by birth. Up until very recent times these children anchored the parents in the US. However, the laws may be changing due to political influence along the US - Mexico border.

Lots of students (millions) have come here and staid after college and changed their student visas to work visas. I know of one Brit that went to school at MIT on scholarship and then decided to drive his little Nissan sentra up to Alaska before his student visa expired. In two days of wandering around Anchorage he had a job offer. The company worked really hard to get him a work visa. This was in 1990 and he is now the head of a mid sized engineering firm, US citizen, Alaskan wife with deep roots in AK, kids, etc. He still mumbles with a British accent though.

As a joiner, getting a work visa might not be possible unless you find a company that needs your specific skills. There already are many unemployed nail pounders up here. Filling out the immigration paperwork stating that you want to be a fur trapper in the Alaskan wilderness might not get you anywhere as the US government would see that as some kind of freeloader dreaming.

AK is not over populated on a person per square mile basis. However, the regions that offer a decent economy are quite crowded. In Anchorage the remaining raw land to build on is either super expensive due to its size and view, or a swamp (still expensive though for a swamp). It does get overcroweded when preople recreate along the road system. Search out photos of salmon fishing on the Russian River on the Kenai. Good times.

If you are looking for true wilderness living there is a lot of that left. The economic systems that used to make that type of living affordable are very fragile now. Fur prices are down due to low demand for fur, and fish runs depleated to a point that subsistance fishing for salmon in parts of the interior are strictly controlled. Land ownership locked up in legal battles in places. Lots of wilderness land is now privately owned by native corporations.

However, I have met several squatters over the years. They take over abandonned cabins or other property near some old airfield, and if nobody shows up to kick them off they appear quite happy. They all had other sources of income like federal disability payments to a trust fund, retirement accounts, or they spent part of the year working for friends in the oil industry to make enough to subsist over the summer or winter whatever the case maybe. Each of these people were "characters" though. They "didn't do so well in town" as they explained to me. From what I noted a couple of them weren't doing so well in the wilderness either.

You mentioned Fort Yukon. The State Troopers refer to that village as the "Tombstone of Alaska". As a Brit the locals might find you a neat novelty. As a white guy some will still find you as a source of their problems.

AK Ray laughing out loud you make me laugh your funny but i luv reading your stories thanks & i am taking it in to . you know your stuff the uk guy still mumbles lol his british accent. wow shocked unemployed nail pounders thats the second time told this so you do know what your saying thanks.
    interesting about those squatters & other info like salmon depletion although thats not big concern for me AK, i read in book how rough fort yukon was & with drink & drug probs not my type off interior village! but north off it is above the porkipine. got me worried about the white guy bit as i did hear the young natives have a kinda grudge so your right again. Gelena is coowl though herd off native indians being a savour & really kind to white guys out their but i love the land above the porkupine & think id fly straight to fairbanks for summer. you know if many are settled or own land above the porky maybe say 50 km ? any other good places AK with caribou & not alot hunters to dodge bullets wher would be good ??? you & auen1 have been really kind to me on here thanks two good guys with plenty off info George

During a construction boom in the 1990's the home builders framed all year long for about five years. Framing at -10 to -20 deg C while being snowed on. There were even a few builders that bought blankets and heaters to cure concrete in the winter. I wonder how those foundations are holding up?

Now that the building boom is over, winters are much slower for the trades workers. Some leave. Some do other trades inside. However, there are many guys that don't work much in the winter. All Alaska construction is considered seasonal work, and with that comes unemployment.

I don't know many details of what is north of the porky for land. Lots of parks. Many small goldmines in the mountains.

Have checked out the state's DNR land sales website? They might not be selling much north of the Yukon.

One of the things you should check out is remote caretaker jobs. Mines, lodges, etc sometimes hire single guys to spend the winter at the remote site to keep the locals out, or shovel snow off stuff that would collapse over time. Gives you some thing to do, makes some money, and you get to live in the wilderness without having to invest much.

AK RAY hi ray yes it sounds sensible the care taker jobs , would this leave enough time for trapping though ? iv already been offered work from a nice family who contaced me privatley & cant will be keeping any private emails that way private out of respect . i cant believe the kindness of people living in alaska its overwhelming to say the lease. AK would like to ask you few private questions could you send me an email with yours just for general advice ? G

Remember that a large portion of the lower Porcupine is Doyon and Gwithchyaa Zhee Native and village lands. You can't just simply move out there and live. In fact, the rest is state and federal land and you can't legally just up and homestead out there either.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks every one who`s been helpful & giving me the information required - cheer`s . iv now found the places to suite my camping needs & fish & game site has been very helpful too. To any novices looking to hunt & fish out a tent fish & game site can assist all your needs so while the advice on here is excellent note any negative response take like a pinch & do check fich & game site to find most queries you`l want Thanks guys

need4wilderness

PM sent......

pm sent.....bilbo

let me know if private message received..bb