Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP bear protection?

Default 45 ACP bear protection?

Hey, I was wondering if you guys would use a 45 auto for bear protection when fishing? My Pa has one, and I bicked up some "huntin bullets" for it today, and I plan on using it for spring steel head, I like it cause it it rugged, crazy accurate (dad can littlerally stack bullets) and I can shoot it really well too, and it has an 8 round clip.

Whatchya think?

not me....

I would, I often just take my Glock 22 RTF. And it has a 8 round "Magazine", not a "Clip".
    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the People whom it protects, One Nation, Under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would, I often just take my Glock 22 RTF. And it has a 8 round "Magazine", not a "Clip".
    Oops, thanks for the correction. my dads M1 garand has a clip, the 45 has a magzine, its gets confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Oops, thanks for the correction. my dads M1 garand has a clip, the 45 has a magzine, its gets confusing.
    Sorry, Sometime I just can't help being an jackass.
    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the People whom it protects, One Nation, Under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The real issue with carrying a handgun for bear protection is not nearly as dependant on the caliber as most sales folks would have you believe. It is more about being able to stand your ground and place a shot at a very fast moving target in circumstances that would make even some real tough guys void themselves. Most folks who come here go through the handgun for bear protection thing and a heck of a lot of big caliber pistols are sold for that reason. The reality is most of those folks rarely shoot those guns (who would given the ammunition costs unless you reload). If you are an expert with a handgun then the .45 ACP using suitable loads would be a hellava lot better than using a handcannon that you canít hit a bull in the arse with at 10 feet. And yes, for the sake of not appearing completely out of the loop, call it a magazine!

if you are going to use a 45 acp for bear "protection" can i have your stuff?... i mean, like after you are dead and everything....
    Alaska Board of Game 2013-2014 tour... "No animal left behind"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/ http://www.obviouslaw.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    if you are going to use a 45 acp for bear "protection" can i have your stuff?... i mean, like after you are dead and everything....
    LOL!!! That is what I was thinking! Although sameyer is correct in his statement, the kinetic energy required (outside of the miracle .22 lr perfect placement shot) is far greater than a .45 ACP. Not saying you wouldn't cause a lot of damage and probably in the end kill the bear. It's just you would probably be going down with it after it mauls you to death. STOPPING power is what everyone talks about. No you don't need a .500 or "hand cannon", but you need sufficient power. As far as what's enough, do a search in this forum and you will find weeks worth of reading on this EXACT subject. I like the .44 Mag personally as you can get a box of ammo just about anywhere in Alaska...

AZinAK

If you insist on using a 45acp, dont use hunting bullets, use hard ball. At least you will get as much penatration as the 45acp is capable of , which in my opinion is not enough.

Handguns are for people...shotguns and rifles are for critters.

If all I had was my 1911 I would take it in the woods with me and I would be stoking it with these. It would be far better than trying to choke out the bear.....

Caliber : .45 ACP+P

Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead

Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=428

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Handguns are for people...shotguns and rifles are for critters.
    +1 absolutley, if it really is an issue, I'll take a heavy rifle and suffer the inconvienence every time.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_nick3 View Post
    If all I had was my 1911 I would take it in the woods with me and I would be stoking it with these. It would be far better than trying to choke out the bear.....

Caliber : .45 ACP+P

Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead

Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=428
    Dang, that is a hellava load for the ACP.

If it's impractical to carry a rifle or shotgun, I will carry bear spray... But that's just me....
    Alaska Board of Game 2013-2014 tour... "No animal left behind"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/ http://www.obviouslaw.org/

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Dang, that is a hellava load for the ACP.
    less than 100 ft/lbs of energy over the .38 special. Not adequate, but better than a sharp stick!

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Smile Depends...

For fishing I feel good with my Springfield XD compact .45 acp with the 10 or 13 rd. mags. I have some nice rounds I prefer. If I can't knock a few off and attempt to blow some face apart, a few hundred fps more I don't believe is going to be the saving grace. If it's got my head in its mouth, I'll pull like the frog in that cartoon with the stork and never give up. Kinda reach around and execute it.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    The real issue with carrying a handgun for bear protection is not nearly as dependant on the caliber as most sales folks would have you believe. It is more about being able to stand your ground and place a shot at a very fast moving target in circumstances that would make even some real tough guys void themselves. Most folks who come here go through the handgun for bear protection thing and a heck of a lot of big caliber pistols are sold for that reason. The reality is most of those folks rarely shoot those guns (who would given the ammunition costs unless you reload). If you are an expert with a handgun then the .45 ACP using suitable loads would be a hellava lot better than using a handcannon that you canít hit a bull in the arse with at 10 feet. And yes, for the sake of not appearing completely out of the loop, call it a magazine!
    Thanks what I was thinking, Since I can't hardly hit the broad side of a barn with dads "real" bear gun, I figured all the energy in the world ain't gonna do me squat if I can't hit the dang bear that is gonna kill me, and my obituary would sound better with " after putting 4 bullets from his 45 caliber hand gun into the chest of a charging bear, CameRon Hogate was mauled by a enraged black bear that was fishing at the same stream he was" instead of "As the bear charged him, CameRon Hogate, fired 3 shots from his fathers magnum revolver, only grazing the bear once, enough to make the bear even more enraged" or " CameRon hogate did not have time to unshoulder and fire his model 1100 shotgun on an enraged bear as it charged him from the brush along a remote Alaska stream"

If you wait the bear will be close enough that you can not miss no matter how big the hand cannon. If 10 feet is to far then wait until it's 5' if you still can't hit wait til it's 5". If you can't hit at 5" you may want to practice some or stay out of bear country. The 45acp is not known for deep penatration in people and your hoping it might work on bear?

The bear in Denali was killed with a 45ACP. Just sayin, it isn't like bears have some magic invincibility shield. I would prefer something stronger than a 45ACP for bear but I would take the 45 over a sharp stick or a fishing pole.

After killing several deer with the round, it wouldn't be my first choice for bear by any means. The deer were pretty slow to die, compared to lots of other handgun rounds I've used. Would I carry it for bear? Yeah, if I had nothing else. But I'd be darned careful how I used it and carry a spare mag.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast