Thread: Winchester 94 Value?

Default Winchester 94 Value?

I have an opportunity to pick up an old Winchester Model 94 30-30, and am wondering what a fair price is for it. It was built in 1941 (the owner claims it was 12/7/1941 (and one of only a few they produced that day before being shut down because of Pearl Harbor) but I don't know who to verify the exact date). From what little I have read the pre 64 just about doubles the value of the rifle.

So how much should I expect to pay for this? I am not sure of the condition of the rifle, but should be getting some photos soon. How much will that affect the value?

Is there a way to verify the exact manufacturing date? I verified the year it was manufactured, but would like know if the date is accurate.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try and post pics as I get them.
    Use of product voids warranty.

Cant value it without pics. You can easily do it yourself with a Gunbroker comparable search

You might try cfmrecords@bbhc.org found it on the buffalo bill historical center site. I have never used this and they might charge a fee but check it out. good luck

No way are you ever going to pin a "day" of manufacture on a 70 year old Winchester. Day it was shipped, maybe. Value is the same as any pre-64 in like condition.

I kind of figured that trying to pin the exact date was impossible. The guy is a story teller, and it gets a little hard to seperate fact from fiction with him (until you realise most of it is fiction). I have looked at a few of them on gunbroker.com, but will have to wait for pictures for a final say.

Don't forget on something like gunbroker a lot of sellers put a "fishing" price out there. With a gun priced as a collectible condition and originality is THE prime factor in price.

Assuming itís a 30-30 in reasonable condition $350 to $600 or so depending. 1941 is pre-war and usually gets a slight bump over pre-64 and stamped 30WCF (instead of 30-30) is older yet and gets another slight bump. Also things like a saddle ring, engraving, checkering, or non 30-30 chambering will bump it too. Add enough of these things together and there are some valuable 94s out there but there are thousands of the $400 variety for every $6-800+ model 94 out there.

Condition is king and anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so decide what YOU are willing to pay (if itís worth that to you then that's its worth) then don't pay over that and you canít go too far wrong.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagonyonok View Post
    I kind of figured that trying to pin the exact date was impossible. The guy is a story teller, and it gets a little hard to seperate fact from fiction with him (until you realise most of it is fiction). I have looked at a few of them on gunbroker.com, but will have to wait for pictures for a final say.
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from somebody like that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Andy,
    It is a 30WCF. Is there a difference between that and a 30-30? Forgive my ignorance, I normally by guns as tools (i.e. stainless synthetic etc...) this is the first one that I would consider more of a toy/collector.

Smitty,
    Normally I wouldn't buy anything from him, but he is a close family friend, and is in a bind. I have learned my lesson in loaning him money, so now it is collateral or its not happening. I know the rifle has some sentimental value to him, it was his Grandpa's. I want to make sure I know a fair price so that I don't rip him off or get suckered into paying the "sentimental" price.

One more related question. The gun is in Utah and would have to be shipped up to me. Does it need to be shipped to an FFL? Or can I have it sent straight to me? I am leaning towards having it shipped to my gunsmith so that he can give it the once over before I take it out. I know it hasn't been fired in years, and would feel much better having someone look it over.

Must ship to FFL.Even beater old guns are fun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Yagonyonok View Post
    Andy,
    It is a 30WCF. Is there a difference between that and a 30-30? Forgive my ignorance, I normally by guns as tools (i.e. stainless synthetic etc...) this is the first one that I would consider more of a toy/collector.
    30-30 and 30wcf are the same thing. Winchester invented the round and named it 30wcf (Winchester Center Fire) then Marlin and UMC copied it naming it 30-30-S-UMC or 30-30 Marlin. Itís had many names before it became universally called "30-30 Winchester." Iím not sure when Winchester changer their roll stamp from 30wcf to 30-30 but Iím thinking it was late 30s early 40s. Having 30wcf on a 1941 gun may be normal, or a changed barrel, or a barrel that was made earlier and installed in 41 . . . donít know but stamped 30wcf is worth a tad more than stamped 30-30.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona