Thread: Advice for A single person cataraft

Default Advice for A single person cataraft

I am looking to purchase a cataraft or "pontoon" mainly to float the kenai and little willow area. maybe 7-9 Ft. It has to have a motor mount on it and hold atleast 350+ pounds. Any advice would be great! Ive seen the outcast boats but just a little out of my range. If you are selling one or know of any one that is selling one please let me know!

Or just any advice on which one to purchase would be helpfull as well, thank you!

There are a lot of single man cat manufactures out there, but in my opinion there's really only one...Aire. You pretty much get what you pay for and I personally wouldn't feel very comfortable trusting my life to some China made, cheap little cataraft, on a river the size of the Kenai. I say spend a little more money and be safe.

Don't know anything about it other than what the ad states but this one in Palmer looks like it fits your description.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2301480242.html
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

You might drop a note in the Swap & Sell forum. Folks in there might not visit this forum.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Agree with whitepalm, I was advised to stay above 8' but I was cheap and got an 8 footer. It has done me well on the lakes here in the valley and a float down the Little Sue. I am a big boy and wish to use it on the Kenai and Willow so I bought some 10' pontoons for it last fall. I haven't had a chance yet to put the frame on the 10'ers but look out.

George

I bought the cheapest used ones that are on the market. I have one that is an 8 foot model and folds up into a backpack. I have another that is a bit sturdier frame and has 9 foot pontoons. I put some styrofoam on the back of the 9'er and my 60 pound lab rides there - I weigh in at 250. Looks a bit like a monkey ridin a football - but they work fine and I have always felt safe on them.

I upgraded the oars and oarlocks and that was more expensive than the boats.

Kasilof, Kenai, little willow, even the big sue a little bit have mostly been where we use them.

Sportsmanís 9 cataraft pontoon raft by OUTCAST - $370 (Wasilla/Palmer)

Just posted to Craigslist.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Out of curiosity, what do you guys mean when you say aire?

Looking at catarafts on the aire website, it looks like they start at 12' around $1800, but it looks like a lot more than a one man fishing boat. Are you referring to the outcast stuff? I get the feeling outcast is like the tributary line, Aire China - any thoughts?

I have the Outcast 9' with the dual pontoons on each side. It was made in china. Its been a great little boat and is holding up very well. For the most part I have only used it on the kenai as far as rafting goes. I have also taken it on several lakes using both a 2 horse gas motor and an electric motor.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you guys mean when you say aire?

Looking at catarafts on the aire website, it looks like they start at 12' around $1800, but it looks like a lot more than a one man fishing boat. Are you referring to the outcast stuff? I get the feeling outcast is like the tributary line, Aire China - any thoughts?
    What I meant was the USA made line of cats. They use to make a little 10' cat (I can't remember the name now) and I use to own a 12' wildcat that had, I believe, 20" tubes. It was a great single man raft and would also double as a 2 person. Like all the Aire (made in USA) products it was bomber as hell. I used it mainly for Six Mile but also took it on several fly-out fishing/whitewater trips. I would probably still own that boat if not for needing more room with the family and all. I just think you can't go wrong with Aire. Probably would never have to use it, but the 10 year no fault warranty is a big plus too.

It just came to me. The Bobcat was there 10'er. Don't know if they still make it though.

Outcast is made by Aire and Unless things have changed they where made in US just like the Aire boats. The Tributary is made by Aire overseas and I believe the Fishcat brand made by Outcast is also made overseas.The big difference is the fishcats have vinyl bladders and the better Outcast have urethane bladders like the Aire boats do and they also have 10 year warranty just like Aire. I have an outcast that Ive had for a number of years and its been a wonderful boat. I would not be afraid to go with outcast. Just my .02

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks for the replies. Looking at Aire's website, the smallest cat they make right now is the 13' wildcat. Outcast certainly has a lot more options for smaller stuff.

I think Aire saw the market coming on a few years back for the smaller ones and started Outcast, like General motors making a new line called Saturn. I can see that as time has gone on they have started going overseas more and more. A few years back Sportsmans had outcast make up some for them in bulk with their name on them and they looked nothing like the ones they have today. They have really cut back on the frame and the pontoons. The older ones had fabric like on the good rafts now they look like cheap plastic . I guess they just want to make them cheap as they can so more of the masses can get one .

For what its worth SOTAR makes 11' and 12' cats. Check out sotar.com ,sure they can help you find a nice boat.