Thread: problem with winchester brass. Advice wanted.

Default problem with winchester brass. Advice wanted.

I bought a box of winchester power max bonded 180 grain php to shoot out of my new mod. 70 .300 wsm. I shot the whole box and did get pretty decent groups @100 yds (1.25"). Well I went to do some reloading last night and planned to use this winchester brass but upon close inspection I noticed one of the necks had a small crack. Then I found ANOTHER cracked neck. I ended up finding 7 or 8 cracked cases out of the 20. Upon further inspection I realized that these shells were loaded REAL hot. The primers were actually recessed into the primer pocket and the shoulder of the brass had actually been slightly compacted. This is totally unacceptable and i'd like something to happen. I've never dealt woth winchester customer service. Should they make good and sent me a new box of shells or at least brass? Does anyone have a contact number for winchester? I can't find a number anywhere. Any advice on what to do would be great.

Also, I shot an entire box of federal blue box and none of the cases cracked, so I went ahead and did my reloading using the federal brass.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

here... try the links below for contact. I would sure tell them about it, give them the lot number and offer to ship them the brass for inspection. Beyond that... I dunno, I wouldnt be too hacked about 20 bum pieces of brass, but thats just me. sure wouldnt want someone else to get hurt shooting that same lot of ammo though.

How can I contact Winchester?
    Before you contact us with a question or comment, please take the time to look over our Questions and Answers section and see if the answer resides there or use the search function at the top of the page to try and locate the information you are looking for.
    All other Winchester products: Most ammunition questions can be answered by visiting Winchester Ammunition's website. Their website is located at: www.winchester.com
    Firearm Information: If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626
    Web Information: If your question is in regards to the Internet site itself, send an e-mail to: webmaster@winchester-guns.com
    Winchester Repeating Arms is always pleased to receive your comments and suggestions about the products and services we provide. However, any information you provide through this website, letters, telephone calls, any Winchester Repeating Arms e-mail address or any other means whatsoever, including but not limited to ideas, suggestions, notes, drawings, concepts or other information, will be considered non-confidential and the property of Winchester Repeating Arms. Winchester Repeating Arms may use any and all submissions without restriction.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

If you had an issue you should have noticed it right away and stopped firing that lot of ammo. Complaining about an ammunition's performance or damaged cases after firing an entire box discredits your claim. If you had saved some of the lot Winchester would have probably paid for the return shipment and supplied you with a new box.

1-800-333-3288, customer service.

Federal premium ammo is generally good over the counter production ammo. For reloading components I would rather not use Federal brass if given a choice.

I usually don't closely inspect my brass after every single shot, but I sure will now.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    If you had an issue you should have noticed it right away and stopped firing that lot of ammo. Complaining about an ammunition's performance or damaged cases after firing an entire box discredits your claim. If you had saved some of the lot Winchester would have probably paid for the return shipment and supplied you with a new box.

1-800-333-3288, customer service.

Federal premium ammo is generally good over the counter production ammo. For reloading components I would rather not use Federal brass if given a choice.

I think a lot of companies are taking cost savings measures that is affecting quality. There are a few companies that are holding on to quality. That being said, I've had generally favorable results with Win Brass, but... they might not be making their ammo brass for multiple firings and they do push their stuff fairly hard. There could be other factors, like the rifle it was fired out of. Did you recently clean or oil the bore? I have found on a couple of occasions, that cleaning residue not completely removed from the bore can and will lead to pressure spikes. I've seen a couple of blown primers on that score.

It almost sounds to me that Win might be using "seconds" quality brass for some of their ammo due to the cracked necks. I have seen some overpressured brass and it was always the primer pockets that suffered, not the necks.

If I was you, I would just chalk this up to experience. I think Winchester's position will be that they were selling you ammo and not reloading brass. You could always call and see what they say.

Thanks for your input Montana. I'm going to call winchester tomorrow and see what they do. If they tell me theres nothing they can or will do, i'm not gonna raise a big stink about it. I did clean and oil the bore before shooting, but i clean the bore and lightly oil after every shooting session, and this is a first for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I think a lot of companies are taking cost savings measures that is affecting quality. There are a few companies that are holding on to quality. That being said, I've had generally favorable results with Win Brass, but... they might not be making their ammo brass for multiple firings and they do push their stuff fairly hard. There could be other factors, like the rifle it was fired out of. Did you recently clean or oil the bore? I have found on a couple of occasions, that cleaning residue not completely removed from the bore can and will lead to pressure spikes. I've seen a couple of blown primers on that score.

It almost sounds to me that Win might be using "seconds" quality brass for some of their ammo due to the cracked necks. I have seen some overpressured brass and it was always the primer pockets that suffered, not the necks.

If I was you, I would just chalk this up to experience. I think Winchester's position will be that they were selling you ammo and not reloading brass. You could always call and see what they say.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's not unusual to hear of pressure problems with any of the WSM Factory Loads.

They're loaded hotter than most other cartridges, and I spose, the likelyhood of problems is greater.

Winchester will probably make it right, but I dunno what you're gonna do, If you buy some more and they have the same problem.

It's a shame to hafta worry if the Factory Loads you buy are gonna be problematic.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

dpops211,

I re-read my reponse to you. I hope It didn't come across to harsh in your direction. Allways look at your brass when trying something new in your rifle.