Thread: Help with repropping

Default Help with repropping

So last season I noticed I was hitting my rev limiter when fully loaded for a weekend outing on my boat. This was with 156 gallons of fuel, 15 gallons water, 2 adults, a 1 year old, and three big dogs with enough gear for 3 days and 2 nights. I have a 26 Pacific Cruiser with twin 150hp Yamahas. The props are 15.25 by 15 pitch. I thought I should upgrade to 17 pitch props whcih would help increase my fuel effeciency. However, I was just talking to the dealer today he mentioned that if I didn't have alot of throttle left I probably shouldn't reprop. These are the same props they put on the same boat with 115hp Yamahas. Does this sounds right to you? I was actually thinking of getting 17 pitch 4 blade stainless. I also thought I had aluminums until they told me that the black Yamaha props are stainless. I'll have to check when I get home tonight. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check this out http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/p...-t-f150txr.pdf looks like Yamaha tested with a 13 3/4 X 19.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Looking at the performance bulletin that Skinny Raven posted, I bet that a 4-bladed, 17" pitch stainless would fit the bill perfectly. You might even be able use the 4 bladed, 19". Rule of thumb is to drop down 2" of pitch when going from a 3 to 4 blade. I went through the same thing when I was dialing in props on my boat. A-1 propeller was very accommodating. He will let you test run any prop he has in stock. I have a set 13.75x19" black stainless if you want to give them a shot. One is a left turn.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

1 yamaha doesn't tell you but thier test are done in a lake over 3000 ft altitude where they can get better performance.
    2 to much trim will let you over rev
    3 any prop you put on you need to be able to hit at least 6000 rpm at wide open throttle and not exceed 6500rpm
    4 a 4 blade will give much better performance in mid range and better fuel economy but slightly slower hole shot and topend
    5 no two boats are exactly alike even the same make and model and hewes is known for not fitting the general rule for props

Quote Originally Posted by savageak View Post
    3 any prop you put on you need to be able to hit at least 6000 rpm at wide open throttle and not exceed 6500rpm
    Yamahas hit the rev limiter before 6500Rs don't they? I am fairly certain that it is 6100. I also experienced better hole shot with the 4-blades, but I am pushing a heavy load.

I know one of the marine shops in Anchorage will let you try different props, the name escapes me. I talked with them a couple years ago and they were willing to let me try different props, problem was they didn’t have a 14 pitch in my size.

I have never had much luck repropping, there are so many variables. I have the reverse problem, not able to reach max RPM at WOT just the low side of the minimum high-end RPM of 5500. I have tried 4 blade aluminum 14 pitch, and stainless Quicksilver 14 pitch. nether worked out so just going to live with my 3 blade 15 pitch aluminum prop; I throw in the towel.

You have in your mind what performance characteristic you’d like, but finding that exact variable in really hard.

So if you’re serious the best way to check out props is to work with someone who will allow you to try different props. 2 degree of prop pitch can make a huge difference, so try before you buy.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by savageak View Post
    1 yamaha doesn't tell you but thier test are done in a lake over 3000 ft altitude where they can get better performance.
    2 to much trim will let you over rev
    4 a 4 blade will give much better performance in mid range and better fuel economy but slightly slower hole shot and topend
    5 no two boats are exactly alike even the same make and model and hewes is known for not fitting the general rule for props
    And your recommendation is what?

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Thanks for all the info. Guess I need to try out a few props. I'll see about talking to a few shops around town and see what they have to offer.

Spoiled One, is A-1 in Anchorage? I wonder where you got the idea of a 4 blade 17 pitch stainless. Sounds like something I was babbling about over beer in a very nice rig. I just can't remember where.

Breausaw, my wife and I are gearing up for this weekend. Just picked up a couple more pots. You gonna be out this weekend? I'll hail ya if I see ya.

Yamaha WOT range is between 5000 and 6000 RPM to be with in there specs. I have run the 15 pitch on my boat for some time and hit 6000 WOT and when I put the 17 pitch on I hit WOT 5500. I lose a little whole shot but pick up some top in speed for the longer trips out.
    You will find that every boat has its own personality regardless who made it. That is mainly based on weight, motors, design and displacement.
    I will be going back to the 17 pitch this summer and again on the hunting season in hopes to get a little better mileage over all. Hope it works out that way at least.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post

Spoiled One, is A-1 in Anchorage? I wonder where you got the idea of a 4 blade 17 pitch stainless. Sounds like something I was babbling about over beer in a very nice rig. I just can't remember where.
    Must have been the tequila talking, Patrick. A-1 is located off Potter Drive just west of Campbell Creek.

Thanks for all the info. Guess I need to try out a few props. I'll see about talking to a few shops around town and see what they have to offer.

Breausaw, my wife and I are gearing up for this weekend. Just picked up a couple more pots. You gonna be out this weekend? I'll hail ya if I see ya.
    Your dealer should be willing to work with you trying various pitch props until you get your rpm dialed in at no charge.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Your dealer should be willing to work with you trying various pitch props until you get your rpm dialed in at no charge.
    That would be great but I bought the boat used with 70hrs on it. The dealer so far hasn't given me the time of day. And no I'm not talking about the local dealer here in Anchorage. You'd think with a basically brand new boat that they'd have been a little more help.

I'll check with A-1 and I think there's another prop shop in town that loans out. Just can't remember their name. So for two stainless props what price range am I looking at?

Spoiled One, there was tequila involved. Good god!

You are looking at $300-$400 per prop for stainless, possibly more if purchased locally.

Thanks. You gonna make it out this weekend? It would be good to introduce the wives.

Patrick, I have used a Pro-Pulse adjustable pitch prop on my 140 and I like it quite well, they are 4 bladed and adjustable in 1 pitch increments. Which is nice because a lot of props are 2 pitch changes and each pitch change is usally good for about 200 RPM.
    So you can literally dial in exactly what you need.

http://propulse.jetshop.se/

West Marine had these on sale as they are purging them from there sysytem, why I dont know? But they were just over 100 bucks each at that time. They are made in Sweden, 40% stronger than a aluminum prop (Thats advertised, I cant confirm).

Just a thought..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks. You gonna make it out this weekend? It would be good to introduce the wives.
    I won't be heading out until May. I wish that I was.

The plan is to head out Friday morning if the weather holds, fishing 5 pots. Will try for some rock cod but never had much luck this time of year.

Triple J standing by on 16
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.