Thread: floatation pods?

Default floatation pods?

I am considering putting pods on the back of my 18/52 Alweld I run a 70 yamaha 2 stroke, and was wondering if anyone in alaska sells them? I am looking at the ones from beavertail. If anyone has any experience with them I would love to hear it.

Deweys had some about month ago, but they may be too large for your craft. I have been researching this same thing and have found zero neg. feedback from those who have them installed correctly. I have a pair on order through Cabela's, med pods for a 52" bottom. According to the folks at Beavertail those will work fine. Had to ship to an intermediary in the lower 48 since since Cabela's wont' ship that item to AK, but they are on sale for $289 vs 319 from Beavertail. I bought these per recommendation of a local reputable boat builder, as he indicated that he could build them but I would get more bang for my buck by purchasing these and having his shop install them vs. having them fabbed-up a this shop. Local quotes were in the range of $700 for fabrication and installation. Figure I'll save $100 or more by buying the manufactured set.
    Will post before and after shots plus performance stats once I've put it to the water.

Karolds (374-9116) here in fairbanks can build those to fit your boat, they might cost a little more but I think it would be worthwhile talking to him. Do the ones form Beavertail bolt on? Are they the proper angle to fit the transom and sides of your boat?
    Or tjsmetalart? TJ is a member here and a talented fabricator also.
    It might seem like locally made would cost more, but at least they will fit, if your order something from Cabellas and they dont fit...........?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have a set from Beavertail back when they shipped them to Alaska for $25. I have since heard those days are over, even though right on my address tag it had the price of the shipping and it was like $24. Oh well thats a different story.

The pods work amazing. Best add on hands down. Should be standard on all outboard jets! I have them on the back of a 20 seaark and they are worth evey penny. Hole shot was better, staying on step at way slower speeds were the biggest positives. I only lost about 1mph on the top end.

Karolds will build them for you but when I asked him about me building a set he told me to either order some or get some from the local shops because he could not do it cheap enough to make it worth my time. I have had Karold weld a lot of my stuff and I trust him when he said to get them somewhere else and he would weld them on for cheap. I think 4 years ago he quoted me 650-700 just to build the boxes.

Get a set, you won't be sorry.

Just completed the season's shake down w/ newly installed Beavertail pods (sz: med) welded on by Silverstreak here in Anc. They did a great job, reasonable cost and turn-around time. Performance wise I did not collect any real stats, yet there is appreciable difference in stability, draft, and stern drop/bow rise at start-up. So far a great addition to the little G3 (1652). Will post some stats after next trip

I'm using a long shaft 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke on my 1752 for trolling. Has anyone tried putting a mount on the pod for trolling motor? Maybe with some bracing from the transom to the end of the pod.

When anyone has installed pods on their transom how far above the bottom of the boat did you put the bottom of the pod ? Thanks,blw

Quote Originally Posted by blw View Post
    When anyone has installed pods on their transom how far above the bottom of the boat did you put the bottom of the pod ? Thanks,blw
    From my limited experience and knowldege: Typically they start out even with the bottom where they affix to the transom and then angle up some from there.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR