Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AVGAS prices in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    $3.899 at Costco
    They sale avgas at Costco? If they do, that would have to be "only in Alaska"!!

Let see if you have the Peterson STC for the O-470, autogas is avgas, do not know if the winter blends qualify though and I don't think ethanol blends are OK either...

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Let see if you have the Peterson STC for the O-470, autogas is avgas, do not know if the winter blends qualify though and I don't think ethanol blends are OK either...
    Righto fish - no ethanol in Ak AFAIK.

Ethanol blended gas is a great product........our taxes go to support it, our government mandates its use and then it will screw up all but the newest of engines in cars.......not to mention its affects on other small engines........ .

I just thought the idea of buying avgas or even auto fuel at Costco for a airplane was kind of novel.......but maybe not in AK.

Back to Rocket ..... burned autogas with that STC from 91 to 2007, then I upgraded to the IO 470, only 100 LL .... paying the price for only 30 more ponys ..... still think it was worth it.

$5.03 today at Suburban.

I've been buying 100LL in Homer for $5.02, jerry cans and hauling it to the plane. On the field Smokey Bay is around $6.85. I guess that it cost $1.84 to haul it 2 mi's. Of course in Seldovia 87 car gas is $5.56 and diesel is $5.84.

I've been buying 100LL in Homer for $5.02, jerry cans
    Is that before or after all the weird taxes that they add out at the bulk plant?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
    Ethanol blended gas is a great product........our taxes go to support it, our government mandates its use and then it will screw up all but the newest of engines in cars.......not to mention its affects on other small engines........ .

I just thought the idea of buying avgas or even auto fuel at Costco for a airplane was kind of novel.......but maybe not in AK.
    Moreover it takes more energy to produce it then it provides. What a ignorant and selfserving Gov we have. It's broken and ruined if you guys haven't noticed. Needs to be revised bigtime.

Back to Rocket ..... burned autogas with that STC from 91 to 2007, then I upgraded to the IO 470, only 100 LL .... paying the price for only 30 more ponys ..... still think it was worth it.
    ocn - I'm not gonna make that mistake. My 470 is perfect for me.

So you HAVE TO burn 100LL in your IO 470. They were orig certified for 87-ictane fuel and that's what I use.
    so far so guit.

Was considering going injection. If it means no Avgas no-way-jose'.

RR

IO-470, not injected (yea I know the I in IO stands for injected), Nordland conversion (Canadian), gravity feed fuel and carburator, simple, they plug the injector sites and it is still 9.6 to 1 compression ratio instead of 8 to 1. Cheepest way to get more ponys, downside is the 100 LL & had to swap my perfictly good McCulley C-203 for a C-230. Jim Detlinger in Chugiak did it for me but he sold his business this last year. Climbout is 1500 ft per min and cruise is 140Kts at 7,000 ft. 22 mfp 2200 rpm. This is even with a nasty XpMod tailwheel. Birchwood to Illianma, ... hour and thirty .... woo hoo

100 ll is Way cheaper than 150 gal of hightest boat gas ..... haha

Some quick research supports what I was told about IO-470 ...

1. Q.Are fuel injected engines approved?
    2. A. We do not have an STC for any engine with Bendix fuel injection. Continental fuel injection is approved - 0-470 -J or -K (225hp). The 260hp I0-470 and 285hp I0-520 are also approved but we no longer support this series of STC.

Some quick research supports what I was told about IO-470 ...

1. Q.Are fuel injected engines approved?
    2. A. We do not have an STC for any engine with Bendix fuel injection. Continental fuel injection is approved - 0-470 -J or -K (225hp). The 260hp I0-470 and 285hp I0-520 are also approved but we no longer support this series of STC.
    Can you simplify that for us slow folk?

My existing 0-470k does 140-mph 23 squared..Climbout abt the same. Maybe 1200-fpm normal.

Haven't done Illiamna yet this season but will before the crow flies.

Just don't see what you got 'cept shelling out some bucks?

Rick

Did not mean to sidetrack / hijack thread ....

My O-470 was overhaulled in 92 and was perfect up until summer 2007. It had about 800 hours on it and I was nerverous about the amount of years on that engine. Looked at a lot of options for engine upgrade because I guess some would call me rich. However I always seek value (what you get vs what you pay with an eye on quality) in all that I do. The High compression version of the 470 with about $1500 for the Nordland STC was to me the greatest "value" out there. All of the others had me looking at a $50,000.00 bill and a plane that is nose heavy. We both own the early 1600 lb empty weight light ones. This deal cost about $30,000.00 for the IO-470 case overhaul and new prop. I was going to overhaul anyway and why not upgrade horse power to what the early C-185 and Cherokee 6 / 260 had in a lighter airframe. I have not put the plane on floats but Jim Detlinger has and he say's the performance is way better than good, great.

Just a few choices I made, looked like a good idea at the time and I smile every time I push the throttle to the fire wall. The cost of fuel was a minor consideration.

[QUOTE=ocnfish;978812]Did not mean to sidetrack / hijack thread ....

My O-470 was overhaulled in 92 and was perfect up until summer 2007. It had about 800 hours on it and I was nerverous about the amount of years on that engine. Looked at a lot of options for engine upgrade because I guess some would call me rich. However I always seek value (what you get vs what you pay with an eye on quality) in all that I do. The High compression version of the 470 with about $1500 for the Nordland STC was to me the greatest "value" out there. All of the others had me looking at a $50,000.00 bill and a plane that is nose heavy. We both own the early 1600 lb empty weight light ones. This deal cost about $30,000.00 for the IO-470 case overhaul and new prop. I was going to overhaul anyway and why not upgrade horse power to what the early C-185 and Cherokee 6 / 260 had in a lighter airframe. I have not put the plane on floats but Jim Detlinger has and he say's the performance is way better than good, great.

new thread ya'll..see abv.

Back to the Real Topic. Suburban Propane $5.03/g 100LL Yesterday.

today petro marine on the spit just dropped the price to $4.79 +sales tax, Homer is doing good for gas priceing.

Suburban Propane Today was $4.83/g 100LL

Bringing the thread back to life. Suburban Propane on Friday was $5.07. Apparently it went up from $4.94 on Monday. All for 100LL.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast