Thread: Spinach starting to yellow

Default Spinach starting to yellow

Wondering what I need to do about this. My spinach came up really well along with everything else and is still growing, but now that it has reached 3-4 inches long, the blades(??) or whatever they are - starts - are beginning to turn yellow. Not sure what to do.My wife said cut back the water, which I did some, but no change. Any ideas?

Probably too much water.. If it was growing outside in the garden It could be a magnesium deficiency... or it could be a mold of some kind... according to a gardening book I have... I've never grown spinach myself... we always used the tops off of beets.../John

Well I thought that, but I cut way back on the water and saw no change. I dunno.

Change will take week or more.

Low nitrogen &/or not enough sunlight &/or too wet.?

Mudbuddy - well they are under a lamp right now 24 hours a day, so it isn't the light. i wouldn't think the nitrogen because they are still small and in individual pots with organic seed starter soil, which i am sure is pretty rich. guess i could add some miracle grow and see if they do better. only other thing that leaves is water, but i can't cut back too much bc they soil is already pretty dry. I really cant imagine they have too much water since these jiffy pots pretty much leak out any excess. guess i'll have to watch and see if adding some more nutrients helps.

Don't water them until they start to wilt and then wait again they should come bace and green up.

Do you generally start your spinach indoors? Just learning here... Last year was my first go-round, and I was told it was best to start spinach right in the ground (along with carrots). I did that, and had harvestable spinach within a few weeks. Just wondering if I should consider some indoor starts this year or if I should just stick with planting them straight in the garden.

I'm not sure but 24 hours of a grow light may be some of the problem. I believe plants need a few hours rest (dark).
    Should have some sunny window now to give them the full light spectrum from the sun. & then a dark rest period.
    Just a guess on my part but I know tomato (& other) starts do well with 6 hours of dark (rest).

Thanks. Good info. Will adjust.

Brian - my first time doing a garden - just followed the instructions, which said to start 6 weeks inside before last frost.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post

Brian - my first time doing a garden - just followed the instructions, which said to start 6 weeks inside before last frost.
    Interesting. I guess I'll have to look into starting some spinach next week.

not sure what seed starter your using but like promix really doesn't have much for nutrients. Most seeds have all they need for the first week or so than after that they need more from the soil. Some things I never start ahead and spinach is one I don't. Lots of light will make it bolt early. (going to seed) That's kind of always a problem up here with spinach as we have so much light.
    If they are 3-4 inchs already Id say start eating them. Baby greens are the best!

drifter - they aren't leaves yet, just the little grass shoots that have come up

Default Spinach needs night

Yes ...spinach needs a night time, but not so much when they are just seedlings. If spinach doesn't get a dark nighttime period each day, then it'll bolt a LOT sooner (leaf production goes to pot and they get bitter). OR, you can plant several plantings that are separated by 2 or 3 weeks and plant fewer at a time, then EAT them before they bolt. Making 'night' can be done with large cardboard boxes and it seems to work OK, although test it for light tightness and duct-tape the leaks, and make sure you press the box down hard enough to seal light around the base of the box on the ground too.

Brian

thanks for the tip - i just put the lights on a timer tho - much easier! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    thanks for the tip - i just put the lights on a timer tho - much easier! LOL
    ...until they are outdoors and the days are 20 hours long!

Brian

LOL - oh yeah!