Thread: Grand Canyon Hiking

Default Grand Canyon Hiking

Well, this question does not involve hiking here in the great white north, but here goes....

I am considering taking some time to return to the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah) for a few weeks, sometime soon.
    As a very extensive hiker/backpacker/runner in the past, currently still a very frequent hiker/backpacker/walker, I'm interested in hiking in the Grand Canyon area while in Arizon.

Can any of you provide a quick reference as to where to begin some research? I am also looking into hiking down into the Grand Canyon on one of the commonly used trails, and possibly rafting with a commercial rafting service provider.
    Thanks, Dennis
    AlaskaTrueAdventure

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Well, this question does not involve hiking here in the great white north, but here goes....

I am considering taking some time to return to the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah) for a few weeks, sometime soon.
    As a very extensive hiker/backpacker/runner in the past, currently still a very frequent hiker/backpacker/walker, I'm interested in hiking in the Grand Canyon area while in Arizon.

Can any of you provide a quick reference as to where to begin some research? I am also looking into hiking down into the Grand Canyon on one of the commonly used trails, and possibly rafting with a commercial rafting service provider.
    Thanks, Dennis
    AlaskaTrueAdventure
    Dennis,
    I lived in Arizona for a summer and spent quite a little bit of time hiking in the grand canyon.
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...try-permit.htm Some info on backcountry permits
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...nformation.htm description of trails.
    My favorite is to do a rim to rim to rim. I would start on the south side and go down south Kaibab, go up north Kaibab, turn around then go to the south rim on the Bright angel trail. You will see people on this trail, but the views are great. Some of the more remote places of the park are great also.
    I didn't get a chance to do many but the New hance trail was fun.
    Good luck let me know if you need any more info.

Havasupi Falls....about 10 miles down to the falls and 17 more to the Colorado....very memorable trip...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....