Thread: Best Motor for an Esquif Cargo

Default Best Motor for an Esquif Cargo

Well the Scott HB deal fell apart....too much shipping damage....I'm leaning towards the Esquif Cargo....At this point a 6.5hp copperhead surface drive looks to be the ticket. Is this going to be enough oomph for this canoe? Anybody out there?

Are you saying that you went to get it and the transported damaged your canoe and you refused shipment?

Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can get Pat to do something for you.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Where did everyone go? This site has died...The rivers are still froze up up here, did I miss something?
    I've been trying to get up a small river to put a supercub landing strip in (moose hunting)...The mouth is all silted in, nothing but thick muck....I thought the Esquif Cargo W/6.5 Copperhead would do the trick....I'm new to the surface drive concept and not sure what these units will push through the shallow muck....anybody try anything like this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Well the Scott HB deal fell apart....too much shipping damage....I'm leaning towards the Esquif Cargo....At this point a 6.5hp copperhead surface drive looks to be the ticket. Is this going to be enough oomph for this canoe? Anybody out there?
    I'd go for it. Make sure you have a valid passport, and pay for the canoe before picking it up. You'll get a HIN # and you can already have registration stickers on the canoe. when shipping up the motor, you'll go through southern freight who partners with lynden transport who is our alaskan freight company. they will assume responsibility for the motor at the port in fife, washington where it will be ready to pick up at the dock in anchorage. the 6.5 will be fine for your application. Expect to pay about 300 dollars for shipping, and get the pulse pump installed for a nice marine fuel tank and hose. It's a good option....the rest are worthless. Buy directly from Copperhead and cut out the middle man.....it will work out much better when you need parts or have questions. good luck and try the search engine, I know I've typed a "canoe load" of info relative to your question over the years as well as others too.

the copperhead should do as you want, as it don' thave a reverse in it it could give you some problems in small streams, that motor is for very shallow wate,r MUD an grass, I don't think it is for small streams that twist an turn, but who knoes it might work out for you, A friend had one like it he used it for 2 years an dumped it for a lift unit with a outboard [could not turn it very well ]
    SID

thanks guys, all good food for thought....you know the copperhead looks like it would make a pretty good rudder, and with no keel on the esquif, I would hope it would provide enough steering and directional thrust...we will see.....