Thread: For you jet boaters out there.

Default For you jet boaters out there.

How many of you are running a HJ212 with a 4.0 Turbo? and have you ever over loaded your boat and just could not get on step? I have had to turn back and take weight off and talk my buddy into taking what I could not on bigger trips, but I don't have a 212. I also watched my friend with a 213 take 10 thirty gallon drums of fuel while I could barely take seven and it literally took miles to get on step and I dreaded slowing down and repeating the maneuver.
    Cheers
    Will

8.1L with 212/4.0turbo I put a Scott trim nozzle on and it made a big difference with heavy loads.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Here some reading, My understanding is 213 has the same thrust, Just Heavy duty use saltwater, main shaft, bearings are beeffer. Hyd, shift..
    http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...VIEWTMP=Branch

8.1 HO. 212 w/4.0 23' foot Duckworth, jumps out of the water with a normal full load, 100 gallons fuel, four people and gear.

Any jet setup can be overloaded and seem under-performing. Load capacity is only part of the equation, power supply to the pump , load distribution and hull design, impeller and sleeve wear/condition, even how one operates the given boat in the water which it is being run have significant impact on overall performance.

10x 30 gallons of gas =2300/ 2400lbs, for a comparison my previous jet boat ( a 16" jon with a 55 (prop hp fitted with a jet) could haul 1000lbs). I have not tried it yet but, I was told by the original owner of my current boat (22'fish Rite Explorer, 351W (285hp) 773 HJ 22,22,23 pitched, posi-nozzle, will handle 2500lbs readily. The way it performs with 1000lbs leaves little room for doubt in my mind, but as I stated I have not given it a go yet.

Comparing one boat to another is quite often apples against oranges.

I can't imagine that any boat outfitted with a motor that can spin a 4.0 properly would have any issue stepping 10 thirty gallon drums of fuel...if your question is "will it lift it?" then the answer is 'yes'...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Any jet setup can be overloaded and seem under-performing. Load capacity is only part of the equation, power supply to the pump , load distribution and hull design, impeller and sleeve wear/condition, even how one operates the given boat in the water which it is being run have significant impact on overall performance.

10x 30 gallons of gas =2300/ 2400lbs, for a comparison my previous jet boat ( a 16" jon with a 55 (prop hp fitted with a jet) could haul 1000lbs). I have not tried it yet but, I was told by the original owner of my current boat (22'fish Rite Explorer, 351W (285hp) 773 HJ 22,22,23 pitched, posi-nozzle, will handle 2500lbs readily. The way it performs with 1000lbs leaves little room for doubt in my mind, but as I stated I have not given it a go yet.

Comparing one boat to another is quite often apples against oranges.
    Not that it matters much, but I think you are using the weight of water for you equation, 300 gallons of gas @ 6.2 pounds per gallon= 1860 pounds...........but whos countin...........................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Not that it matters much, but I think you are using the weight of water for you equation, 300 gallons of gas @ 6.2 pounds per gallon= 1860 pounds...........but whos countin...........................
    Yes, generously so to compensate for the containers which hold the fuel. Though when I have researched the weightof gasoline in the past it was 7lbs pre gallon, but as you said, who is counting .

I believe weight distribution is as much key to getting on step as horse power and impellar configuration. I have seen many times a boat loaded with drums of fuel all towards the back and they can't figure out why it won't get on step. Figure in the weight of the motor and it's easy to see why that boat was nose high and unable to get on step. I would have no problem loading 10 thirty gallon drums of fuel on my 21' boat with a 350 and H212, so the big block with a 4.0 turbo impellar should not even blink at the load.

After exploring some other sights I have found that I can shoehorn a 213 turbo impeller in my HJ211 pump. The 212 will work as well but the impeller shaft on these pumps are a little smaller then on the 211 or 213 and would need to be opened up and a new key way cut. With the 213 I will just need the key way opened up a bit, and it sounds like the shop I used to re pitch my current 211 4.0 impeller to a 5.0 is not set up to cut metric key ways. Any one know a shop that handles metric key way cutting on impellers? just for conversation my boat is a 24' USCOLA with a two year old 496ho--420hp engine.
    Thanks
    Will

For the record, we (the outfit I work for) haul literally millions of gallons of fuel of all types by air in large tanker aircraft all over Alaska. We absolutely have to calculate the weight properly for legalities and safetys sake. The numbers are as follows and are accepted averages calculated to compensate for the variables in temperatures and the change in weight for a fixed volume (one gallon) of a given fuel. Hope these numbers help you calculate your next hunting trip requirements and capabilities with the most accuracy possible. Cheers, Oz

Gasoline, all types (Avgas is the lightest, consistently) 6.0 #/gal.
    Jet A, diesel (Ultimately the same fuel, Jet A has been through a few more filtration processes), 6.7# gal.
    Engine oil (for comparison) 7.0#/ gal.
    Water, 8.3#/gal
    Ethylene Glycol, (antifreeze/coolant) for comparison, 9.29#/gal.

will, Maybe you have seen this thread sounds like this guy had good luck with it.

http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...t=2791&start=0