Thread: Black bears, Valdez Arm

Smile Black bears, Valdez Arm

New to forum and it is awesome!

I am interested in putting to bed a grumpy black bear out of valdez here soon. Looking for info if i would be better off to continue out past the Tatitlek Narrows for a good opportunity at one, or if closer in the valdez arm is fine. I will be traveling in a 21 ft jet boat. I am familiar with the area, just not bear hunting down there, and would like to try it. The farthest out in boat has been to goose island.

thx jonnyb

Black bear in and about Valdez are common to say the very least. Easy enough to get without ever getting a boat wet if your up for a serious climb. If your intent is to find one on a beach there are many places before you reach Tatitlek narrows to find one. Be sure you know where the native held lands are when you are out and about.

In a nutshell, bears are thick as flies around Valdez. Getting to them is a bit of a challenge.

Still early yet. The snow above the Duck Flats is still too deep and no one I know of has spotted any bears on the slope there. It is usually the first place that they come out, on the Southern expsure. We are about 10' less than normal in our snow fall within town, so who knows what it is out farther.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

thanks to both of you for your replies. Knowing that a good chance is possible with out having to travel too far is encouraging. If there is a need to climb, just a bonus, need some extra training climbs for DS203 walk in for August!

And where the snow line is is also valuable info.

will even try to soak some pots while I'm there.

will be sure to post results of trip

jonnyb

One year while I lived in Valdez while driving to work I spotted 15 black bear from the driver seat of my vehicle on the 18th of April, I lived in Alpine Woods subdivision 15miles form New Town Valdez. That is one heckaofalotta bear to see at 60 MPH. Another thing that stands out in my mind is how the greenery pushes up right on the edge of the snow line as it recedes. For spot and stalk hunting bear it is rife with opportunity, for fly on the wall pursuit is first rate, that is very steep and rugged terrain.... man in loved it !

yeah valdez is a great area, really enjoy going down there for fishin and shrimpin. Just haven't done any hunting that direction Picturing cruising the boat out, toss out the anchor in a nice calm cove. kick the feet up and glass the hillsides. maybe I'll drop a line and catch me a butt or two. I can't wait! when can I get the boat out of storage!!!

If you go out in the boat, be aware of afternoon winds that tend to stir up the Port Valdez waters; and of course, watch the tides. It's no fun going ashore for a stalk, only to find your boat high and dry upon your return (or worse - floating away :-)).

Heading out in our old 16' Zodiac, my wife and I have taken bears in the Narrows, Sawmill Bay, Jack Bay, and Galena Bay over the years. They're there - just spend some time glassing and you can usually find one that can be easily stalked.

(p.s. - don't forget, you can't shoot from a boat without special disabled permit)

Good luck, and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    If you go out in the boat, be aware of afternoon winds that tend to stir up the Port Valdez waters; and of course, watch the tides. It's no fun going ashore for a stalk, only to find your boat high and dry upon your return (or worse - floating away :-)).

Heading out in our old 16' Zodiac, my wife and I have taken bears in the Narrows, Sawmill Bay, Jack Bay, and Galena Bay over the years. They're there - just spend some time glassing and you can usually find one that can be easily stalked.

(p.s. - don't forget, you can't shoot from a boat without special disabled permit)

Good luck, and be safe!
    Man, EXCITED for bear time. Growing up in Valdez (on old loop road) they would terrorize me as a young lad as they all would draw to the salmon creeks, now they excite me :-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel