Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau area blue grouse

Default Juneau area blue grouse

Anyone seen or heard any yet this spring? A little wet and cold lately, spent some time out on Saturday, but no sign. I plan to put in more effort this coming weekend.

I went out the weekend before last, but there was still a lot of snow and the going was a bit rough without snowshoes. I haven't had the chance to get out since then, but I suspect it might be at least another week before they start getting antsy...

I've been listening for them during my lunch breaks near a decent spot, but haven't heard a thing yet. All that new snow on the hill has discouraged me from making a go at them yet. Need some sunshine, that's for sure
    Nice Marmot.

Hear any owls while you were out there? One hooter is as good as another as far as I'm concerned.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Need some sunshine, that's for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I went out the weekend before last, but there was still a lot of snow and the going was a bit rough without snowshoes. I haven't had the chance to get out since then, but I suspect it might be at least another week before they start getting antsy...
    Yesterday's weather started looking better until about 4:30. Next week I expect action to pick up a little.

I was out last week here in Ktn and they're hooting in abundance. Hope to climb the mtn this weekend.

So far I haven't heard anything around Juneau. Usually the first place you hear them is on Thunder Mountain above East Glacier Trail. Not a peep last weekend. Should be any day now.I'll probably do a little hiking behind the house this weekend to see if they are hooting on Douglas.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

been hearing them for the past week.

Blue Grouse = Bucket list!

Went up above Auke Bay today. They're making tons of noise now!

Even got one, my 1st.

We started at 3pm and basically bushwhacked our way up, if we'd gone earlier in the day we could have probably limited out. We counted at least 6-8 individuals making noise, we just didn't have the time to chase them down.

Default UH7

Sheep and turkey hunters have their respective Slams. I propose the Upland Heaven Seven. An honor given to those that harvest each of the seven resident Alaskan gamebirds. The sooty (blue), ruffed, spruce, and sharp-tailed grouse along with their cousins willow, rock, and white-tailed ptarmigan.

I need to start hiding money away because I think a mural of the UH7 done in taxidermy would be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

So Hoyt, when you get that cheap companion ticket I'll buy it off you and we can tell stories and lies on our way to Southeast to round out the Holy Hept-fecta in a couple years.
    Last edited by PG13; 04-15-2011 at 09:22. Reason: Beg for a ride

Went up above Auke Bay today. They're making tons of noise now!

Even got one, my 1st.

We started at 3pm and basically bushwhacked our way up, if we'd gone earlier in the day we could have probably limited out. We counted at least 6-8 individuals making noise, we just didn't have the time to chase them down.
    Awesome, thanks for the report. Hoping I can make it out with the pup this weekend. Tasty little buggers 'eh?
    Nice Marmot.

I've not had a chance to go listening, but my "informants" tell me all is good. I am thinking about going tomorrow if the weather holds. I don't feel like I have too many years left to keep climbing these hills, so I'm going to try to make the best of each opportunity.... definitely bringing a camera... and maybe a St. Bernard who is begging for excercise.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the report. Hoping I can make it out with the pup this weekend. Tasty little buggers 'eh?
    Got back too late to cook last night, today's a Lenten Friday, I'm hoping to do something tomorrow (and maybe go out for a few more first ). If they taste anything like Willow Ptarmigan, I'll be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Sheep and turkey hunters have their respective Slams. I propose the Upland Heaven Seven. An honor given to those that harvest each of the seven resident Alaskan gamebirds. The sooty (blue), ruffed, spruce, and sharp-tailed grouse along with their cousins willow, rock, and white-tailed ptarmigan.

I need to start hiding money away because I think a mural of the UH7 done in taxidermy would be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I love this idea! You need to trademark the name too.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post

So Hoyt, when you get that cheap companion ticket I'll buy it off you and we can tell stories and lies on our way to Southeast to round out the Holy Hept-fecta in a couple years.
    LOL Nice! Hey I'm down for sure!!!!!! I have shot them all but Blue and white-tail. I looked at doing an all Alaska grouse mount a couple years back. Since I was only able to afford PB&J's for breakfast, lunch,and dinner back then, it didn't happen! I was thinking about something like that a few days ago though! UH7....let's do it!

Got back too late to cook last night, today's a Lenten Friday, I'm hoping to do something tomorrow (and maybe go out for a few more first ). If they taste anything like Willow Ptarmigan, I'll be pleased.
    This is apples and oranges.

The blues are white meat, and taste closer to pheasant than ptarmigan. You'll prepare them more like chicken, but their flavor isn't chicken... it's better! They are good with potatoes or rice, but my specialty are hoagies.

You can and should save all of the meat from the upper thigh as well as the breast. Remove the meat from the bone and grind it up to make patties. Then you fry it up in a pan with a bit of seasoning. In another pan saute' onions, and mushrooms in butter... when it is near to done, melt cheese over it (either the patty or the saute'). ...

Mustard and mayonaise a hoagie roll and fill it with the patty, saute', and some olives and tomato. This is one of the best sandwiches ever made....

I think I just talked myself into going hunting tomorrow.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    This is apples and oranges.

The blues are white meat, and taste closer to pheasant than ptarmigan. You'll prepare them more like chicken, but their flavor isn't chicken... it's better! They are good with potatoes or rice, but my specialty are hoagies.

You can and should save all of the meat from the upper thigh as well as the breast. Remove the meat from the bone and grind it up to make patties. Then you fry it up in a pan with a bit of seasoning. In another pan saute' onions, and mushrooms in butter... when it is near to done, melt cheese over it (either the patty or the saute'). ...

Mustard and mayonaise a hoagie roll and fill it with the patty, saute', and some olives and tomato. This is one of the best sandwiches ever made....

I think I just talked myself into going hunting tomorrow.
    Now I'm hungry.

7:20 AM - the sun is out. Two cups of coffee and away I go.

I'm off on Thursday and Friday this week any one want to go? I'm not new to hunting but am sorta new to the area. Been here a year and a half.
    GG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast