Thread: kluane lake, yukon

Default kluane lake, yukon

anyone ever fish it? drove past it a couple times and always wondered. was thinking it would be a cool place to try out this summer.

yukon territory has a lot of literature about fishing the road system google Yukon Fishing Pamphlets definitely like the price of the YT license for AK residents
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

very big lakers in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the ice goes out in late May, the laker fishing can be great near the creek oulets.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I've always wanted to fish that lake as I drive past it every fall on my way to and from AK.
    Maybe I should take a day and toss the zodiac in and have a troll?
    Decisions, decisions!!! LOL

ive seen it on my drive to colorado and back. i really want to try it out haha

The Kluane Lake is one of few chosen Canadian waterways which is declared as "Trophy Lake". This means here you'll find excellent Trophy Fish. These waters are home to Lake Trouts getting here over 40 pounds in weight.. These fish grow very slow (ca. 300g per year) and are immensely strong. Big trouts demand everything from angler and equipment.

The natives name for the lake is "Big Fish Lake". There are stories of "Monster" which caused horrific bite wounds and its believed there are fish with up to 100 pounds to be found. Nobody knows what the upper limit for the weight of these fish in the lake are but local fishing authorities have sighted trouts with approximately over 60 pounds.

A couple years ago I stayed at Burwash landing and they didn't even charge for tenting. They have some good storys of BIG fish. Ive seen that lake flat as a mirror and mostly so bad you would not want to be on it.
    IF I remember right to fish with a guide it as like $800 a day

I have driven by it in Late May and oh the size of some of the fish near the edge were impressive. Another excellent spot to consider just down the road a ways and to the right is Dease Lake and Dease River as well as some of the local lakes oh I don't know on the Cassiar Hwgy maybe. You might also wish to consider a trip to Boya Lake Provinical Park as well as Good Hope Lake etc.... Little safer water IMO with unlimited chances for Bull Trout, Lake Trout, Pike and Grayling. Dease river is also a neat place 200 plus miles of no motors some class III water and comes out at Lower Post on the Liard. I know nothing to do with Kluane but just in case anyone is interested figured what the heck it's Tues! Share good data.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    The Kluane Lake is one of few chosen Canadian waterways which is declared as "Trophy Lake". This means here you'll find excellent Trophy Fish. These waters are home to Lake Trouts getting here over 40 pounds in weight.. These fish grow very slow (ca. 300g per year) and are immensely strong. Big trouts demand everything from angler and equipment.

The natives name for the lake is "Big Fish Lake". There are stories of "Monster" which caused horrific bite wounds and its believed there are fish with up to 100 pounds to be found. Nobody knows what the upper limit for the weight of these fish in the lake are but local fishing authorities have sighted trouts with approximately over 60 pounds.

A couple years ago I stayed at Burwash landing and they didn't even charge for tenting. They have some good storys of BIG fish. Ive seen that lake flat as a mirror and mostly so bad you would not want to be on it.
    IF I remember right to fish with a guide it as like $800 a day
    800 a day is the cheapest place you might find. The lake is known for having a lot of 60 lb fish. A 60 pound fish is like a 30 inch rainbow on the Kenai there, easy enough to get one in your life time, I have been told that it is not unheard of to catch a 70 lb fish either. I fished this like in the fall of 2005 and I hooked a handful of 30/40 lb (smallest was 40 inches) fish but nothing bigger, I thought I was big stuff, till I went to the gas station and talked to a local and was kinda bragin, he shot me down real quick, he said hmmm didn't hook any thing nice huh?????? I was like what do you mean, then he filled me in. I would really like to go back there and try again some day.

It is a pretty big lake and I wouldn't doubt it gets nasty.........and it is way cold!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a lake a few miles north of Kluane which you have to fly in or snomachine in that has larger lakers. A few of the locals I talked to last year mentioned most of the "large" fish come from this lake campared to Kluane. Unfortunately, I was drunk in the bar when they told me the name of this lake and I don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    800 a day is the cheapest place you might find. The lake is known for having a lot of 60 lb fish. A 60 pound fish is like a 30 inch rainbow on the Kenai there, easy enough to get one in your life time, I have been told that it is not unheard of to catch a 70 lb fish either. I fished this like in the fall of 2005 and I hooked a handful of 30/40 lb (smallest was 40 inches) fish but nothing bigger, I thought I was big stuff, till I went to the gas station and talked to a local and was kinda bragin, he shot me down real quick, he said hmmm didn't hook any thing nice huh?????? I was like what do you mean, then he filled me in. I would really like to go back there and try again some day.

It is a pretty big lake and I wouldn't doubt it gets nasty.........and it is way cold!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was looking at this website. any experiences? alot cheaper than 800 a day.
    http://www.rubyrangelodge.com/rates.html

yeah no kidding, I went with some one who had a his own boat and we had a camper so it was pretty cheap. I don't know if that is just for the guide, but every thing adds up fast, gas...plane....boat.......every thing else. It didn't cost me much other then gas and it wasn't 4 dollars a gallon when I went. I think I spent 3 or 4 days there and it cost me about 1,200. But if you want a big laker, this is the place I would go. It is pretty easy fishing as far as fishing for lakers goes, and there is BIG fish in that lake.

i remember driving by and seeing people camping on the lakeshore near the highway. would i be able to do that and just fish near the outlets of creeks/rivers? i really want to try this out this spring or fall but im only in the initial planning/dreaming stage haha. also i was confused on which fishing license i would get. i know that i would have to get a national park license, but would i also need a yukon territory license?

The bar tender I talked to made it sound like any stream dumping into Kluane in the spring time was a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    There's a lake a few miles north of Kluane which you have to fly in or snomachine in that has larger lakers. A few of the locals I talked to last year mentioned most of the "large" fish come from this lake campared to Kluane. Unfortunately, I was drunk in the bar when they told me the name of this lake and I don't remember it.
    Possibly Tincup Lake

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    i remember driving by and seeing people camping on the lakeshore near the highway. would i be able to do that and just fish near the outlets of creeks/rivers? i really want to try this out this spring or fall but im only in the initial planning/dreaming stage haha. also i was confused on which fishing license i would get. i know that i would have to get a national park license, but would i also need a yukon territory license?
    I don't see why not, but there is camp grounds around if you want to look for them. I agree with fishgod.......if you know how to fish for lakers it would be pretty easy to fish other then the size of the lake, there is a lot of space to cover or to look.