Thread: Most economic boat shipment method

Default Most economic boat shipment method

Might purchase a boat from washington and send it to sitka. Other than the ferry and samson tug is there anything else I can look into? Pretty Darn expensive with a 5000.00 budget but why not look into it. Skiff would be a 18-24 dory hull.

I called today to Alaska Marine lines and for a 36ft boat on a trailer was about 6000.00. I'd think your cost would be a least 3/4 of that considering I was 14,000 lbs and over 12 ft.

I spoke to AML this AM about shipping a 24' boat from Seattle to Skagway and it was $2100.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yep, call AML.

Erich

I'm shipping a 20' airboat on Totem from Tacoma to Anchorage tomorrow for $4000-. Thats the best deal I could find if I wanted to get it here before July (via the ferry system).
    BK

Angry

Looks like I will have to wait for my Dory to show up in sitka(which it wont). Saw Many nice dory's I want that would work for economic/seaworthy hand troll for under 4000.00. Looks like it will cost that much at least to ship them to Sitka. Not a good deal.

Hey folks I am looking at driving a rig up to Anchorage about June 10th and would be willing to bring a boat up from the lower 48 if someone is interested. I would just want 75% of my fuel costs. You can figure 10 miles per gallon at 2200 miles....I hear gas thru Canada is about 5 bucks right now so you can do the math...I would charge actual costs so if its lower then you would save a few bucks...if its higher then the opposite is true. There is a possibility that I could...make arrangements to make the trip and have it up around the 27th of May...If I were to do that then I would want 100% fuel cost reimbursement as it would cost me to leave early...so if anyone is interested let me know. Oh I would be driving an Ford Expedition so weight would need to be considered...

Might need to find somebody willing to ship to Skagway. Sounds like most economic plan. Probably not the best Idea but food for thought.

elhewman - did you do the math for the ferry? I had my boat (24 foot Seasport sitting on a trailer) put on the ferry by the seller in Bellingham with a straight shot to Sitka this past October and it cost me $1800.

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    Might need to find somebody willing to ship to Skagway. Sounds like most economic plan. Probably not the best Idea but food for thought.
    I'd ship it to Haines instead. It's shorter to go Haines then to Haines Junction then up to Tok.

Northland and AML ship to Haines (sometimes on the same barge, lol!)

Erich

yeah try Northland, I just checked our tariff and we charge $74/lnft as long as you don't go over 24' overall (furthest point both ends, including trailer) otherwise $102/lnft. fuel surcharge is 23.5% right now. so if you are 22' overall you would pay $2010.58. SEA to SIT
    hey bkmail, depending on what you're overall length was we could've gotten you a better rate. say $106/lnft plus 28% fuel, roughly $3200. don't know how long your trailer tongue is, so that is a guess. we go once a week Seattle to Anchorage, although it takes us about 6 days longer than TOTE.
    yes some times we do share a barge with AML in the southeast area.