Thread: Canada gas, any bad experiences?

Default Canada gas, any bad experiences?

I'm delivering a boat next month to Sitka and was wondering if anybody has had any bad expierences with gasoline in Canada? Iv'e never fueled up with gas yet. Our possible fuel stops planed are in Campbell river, Port Hardy, Bella Bella, Klemtu and prince Rupert. We're running twin Mercury 300 Verado's and burning about 18-20 gallons a hour 35-40 mph fuel tank is 250 gals. Thanks in advance.

be ready to pay up at the pump I just drove the alcan and the average price was 6-8 a gal (1.30ish a liter Canadian).

Thanks for the heads up. Still less than barge or ferry if you can believe that. Hopefully the weather is good last time was a nightmare.

weather wasnt bad when I went through little bit of snow here and there but all in all wasnt bad at all

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    be ready to pay up at the pump I just drove the alcan and the average price was 6-8 a gal (1.30ish a liter Canadian).
    Hmmm....$1.30/liter = $4.92/gal if Canadian is par, right now $1 Canadian = $1.0425 USA, so our dollar cost/gal would be $5.13, still better than your $6-$8 gal!! Sounds better to me, I'm driving up in July! Gas/diesel is cheaper in Alberta than in BC by far, and also cheaper in Yukon, BC has extra taxes on their fuel. But, the real beauty of buying gas by the liter is to skip trying to convert, you are driving in truly beautiful country, just be glad you can get fuel and enjoy it! By the way, re your original question, I have driven up 4 times and never had any problems with fuel quality, either gas or diesel, in a pickup. Might be different in a boat motor, but I haven't noticed a thing, and we were towing boats twice and carrying heavy loads the other times, and that usually lets you know if there is any problem with the fuel. Are there some "urban myths" going around about CA fuel quality??

I buy Canadian gas daily with out any issues. There was a time 6-8 years back when a couple of the local stations around here had old leaky tanks and were pumping that water into our cars with the gas. Got into a bad situation stranded on the highway 3:00am due to this, but remembered I had a couple of bottles of gasline antifreeze/methyl hydrate in the van, dumped both bottles into the tank and was on my way in 10 mins after that. From that time on tho, I always keep a few bottles of the stuff in all of my vehicles including boats. I paid $1.39 for midgrade 89 octane at the fuel dock in Vancouver harbour the other day..Sorry no info for you diesel guys out there tho..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    I'm delivering a boat next month to Sitka and was wondering if anybody has had any bad expierences with gasoline in Canada? Iv'e never fueled up with gas yet. Our possible fuel stops planed are in Campbell river, Port Hardy, Bella Bella, Klemtu and prince Rupert. We're running twin Mercury 300 Verado's and burning about 18-20 gallons a hour 35-40 mph fuel tank is 250 gals. Thanks in advance.
    I've taken boats up several times, refueling at the ports you mention, I don't think you'll get anything other than real good fuel.
    I was not buying gasoline, but using diesel, nevertheless, PetroCan, is like a top quality fuel supplier anywhere in the states, you won't have any problems.

Might be wise to stick to the ports you mention, and skip the backwater towns where fuel is not as fresh, y'kno the little towns where their fuel sits around a lot longer is always a little riskier as far as getting water in with your fuel or something like that.

In Campbell River, Prince Rupert, etc. there's a lot of traffic for both Gas and Diesel, you should have no problems at all.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thank you, Sound like no worries. I'll have lots of back up filters in case.