Thread: Opinions on Christansen Arms Rifles

Default Opinions on Christansen Arms Rifles

I have read about them, but I was wanting to hear from someone that has actually shot one or any other first hand experiences. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaphil View Post
    I have read about them, but I was wanting to hear from someone that has actually shot one or any other first hand experiences. Thanks.
    I have a 300Rum Christansen Arms rifle. I saw a guy at my local range having accuracy issues and was drawn in by the carbon barrel. After watching him shoot 6"-12" groups at 100 yards I was puzzled. I couldn't help but get involved. It was his second barrel and he had sent it back to Christensen twice for accuracy issues.

He had an other rifle on order to prep for his Elk hunt, it was back in 2009. The rifle was built on the Remington titanium action so I figured I could get it fixed and come out ahead if the price was right. I ended up taking it off his hands for $1000 and took it home to start the process of finding out why it wouldn't shoot.

Turns out the muzzle break was defective and the bullet was hitting it on exit, needless to say this was causing erratic groups. I sent the barreled action to Vais down in Texas and had Ron true the threads and build a break to fit the contour of the carbon barrel. Total cost of that job was $250.00 and I had a riffle that shoots 1.4" 309 yard groups with my hand loads.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

Pic is a 100 yard 2.5" zero and two 300 yard confirmation groups.

DSC01613.JPG

I have a brother in Kasilof that responded to an add north of Anchorage last summer. It was a 338 Rum by Christansen Arms for sale on Craigs list. He took a very good shooter with him and a three varieties of production ammo for a test shoot. He was very disappointed with the rifle and did not purchase it. I didn't have a chance to evaluate it but I would have taken the brake off and shot it that way just in case there is an issue with threaded barrels at Christansen.

I did see another one in the Phoenix area that was being shot with good results. That shooter had about $8,000.00 in the rifle. He had every option offered and a Schmidt Bender scope.

Personal, I would never pay the price these rifles bring. I was fortunate to stumble on mine at a bargain, pure luck.