Thread: Boat Maintenance Supplies

Default Boat Maintenance Supplies

So I need to replace my waterblock fuel filters and my lower unit fluid before I head out this weekend. Right now I have the standard Yamaha fuel water filter. I want to replace these with Racor's so I can see if I'm getting water in my fuel. Also I need to replace my lower unit fluid. Manual say SAE 90. Where's the cheapest place in Anchorage to get supplies such as these?

I got my racor's from Anchorage Yamaha marine, the sticker on the filter says Suzuki and they were cheaper than other options in town. They are great guys to deal with, speaking of which I need to pick up a couple more filters.

I get my 90w for the lower end from an auto parts store, I usually get a couple extra quarts when changing the fluid in my trucks diffs so seem to have it on hand when it's time to change out the lower end fluid.

The only place in the north gulf coast you can drive where you won't get completely raped on boat hardware is Kachemak gear shed (Redden Net) in Homer
    If you like taking it in the short hairs by a granola eating yuppie w/ an attitude go to west marine, bring the visa card

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Thanks Paul I'll check it out.

Fullbush, thanks as well. I aways get a good laugh outta your posts. Something about the way you phrase it gets the point across...loud and clear

I want to replace these with Racor's so I can see if I'm getting water in my fuel.
    Parker Store on International sells the clear plastic bowls/drains that fit on the bottom of the Racor filters. I have seen them at Dewey's as well and both stores were cheaper than West Marine

On the lower unit oil change, I have been using the gallon jugs with a pump that fits onto the neck of the gallon jug to change the oil. I find that really simplifies filling the the lower unit up with oil. I got the pump from Dewey's.

Doug

Patrick,

I just saw this on CraigsList for lower unit oil: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2319943377.html

Doug

Gracias. I came across that this morning as well. I didn't recognize hypoid. Know anything about it? I was actually just going to head to an auto parts store this afternoon and pick some up.

[QUOTE= I didn't recognize hypoid. Know anything about it?QUOTE]

Hypoid just referes to the type of gearing used in the lower unit:
    A hypoid is a type of spiral bevel gear whose axis does not intersect with the axis of the meshing gear.

I don't know if there is any difference in the hypoid gear oil used in autos versus outboards. I do know that $20 for 1.5 gallons is a good deal. Especially since you should change it out every season to verify you lower unit seals are not allowing water in.

Doug

Learn something new every day....

A hypoid gear incorporates some sliding and can be considered halfway between a straight-cut gear and a worm gear. Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action requires effective lubrication under extreme pressure between the teeth.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The only place in the north gulf coast you can drive where you won't get completely raped on boat hardware is Kachemak gear shed (Redden Net) in Homer
    If you like taking it in the short hairs by a granola eating yuppie w/ an attitude go to west marine, bring the visa card
    I totally agree, but for a small purchase you'll burn up your savings in gas driving down there. Whenever we boat out of Homer, we always stop by the gear shed and leave some $. It's not just boating and fishing purchases, we always seem to end up with some clothing for my wife and kids.

I don't know why they don't open a store in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Learn something new every day....

A hypoid gear incorporates some sliding and can be considered halfway between a straight-cut gear and a worm gear. Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action requires effective lubrication under extreme pressure between the teeth.

Doug
    Thanks for all the info. Very informative. I guess what I was getting at was the brand. Didn't know it was West Marine. Anyone know if its just as good as any of the major brands. I'm a firm believer in not skimping on fluids. I don't need the best but I won't buy the cheapest either.

Thanks again. Learned something new today.

Anyone know if its just as good as any of the major brands.
    Patrick,

I would imagine the West Marine is as good as any other brands since West Marine, Yamaha, Suziki, don't refine their labelled oil products. Is it any differenct than an auto gear lube, I don't know.

Doug

Doug

Thanks Doug. Your help has been great. Hope to return the favor some day.

If West Marine has a product you need, find the best price for that product on the web.
    Copy the information and take into WM, they will match that price. Or call their 800# and have the item shipped for that same price.
    Step 1: Visit your local West Marine Store or call us at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464) and let your West Marine Associate know that you have a price match item to discuss.
    Step 2: Provide the name of the nationally recognized U.S. retailer. Also, be prepared to provide the website address, item number and price of the item which shows the final merchandise price, or to provide a copy of the advertised item.
    Step 3: Please wait while the Associate confirms the price and in-stock availability of the item.
    Step 4: Once confirmed we will gladly match the competitor's price.

I donít think a lot of people know about this WM service, for example I saved $160 on a prop and usually get my Racor filters for almost half the advertise price; you still get your West advantage points.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.