Thread: Fuel flow meter for new Yamaha 150 four stroke

Default Fuel flow meter for new Yamaha 150 four stroke

I have a new outboard motor and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about an alternative for Yamaha's fuel flow meter, I don't want to spend $700 for it. I would like to know how much I am burning an hour and total fuel burned on a trip. Thanks.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I bought a 150 yamaha[used] and it came with the fuel meter. I ran the floscan on my 115 but the gph wasn't enuf for the 150 so I bought the larger gph meter for the 150. But in the meantime the fellow I bought the 150 from had to get a new fuel meter to match his new motor. So I have the whole setup, meter-wires-transducer & both meters I would like to find a new home for. PM me if interested,I am in Soldotna. Flo-scan was very accurate, and it makes a difference in fuel the way you throttle up and trim out.

I have those on my boat and questioned them in the beginning and after 400+ hours on the motors and checking the amount of fuel that was said to have burned and what I put back in the tank is within a gal or two every time. It also lets me know what i am burning and ifi need to slow the role and save some fuel along the way.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Well if you have a Lowerance chartplotter/gps they have about a $100 fuel flow meter that fits inline of your fuel line, and it works well.

Sobie2

I have a J-max inboard in my Extreme shallow and floscan (I talked to them directly) indicated that their meters would not work with Yamaha fuel pumps...any issues that anyone knows about

I don't see how you can have a fuel flow meter on a fuel injected engine. What about the fuel return? Most fuel injected motors pump 60 to 90 gallons an hour I hardly think you're burning that much

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't see how you can have a fuel flow meter on a fuel injected engine. What about the fuel return? Most fuel injected motors pump 60 to 90 gallons an hour I hardly think you're burning that much
    I put my lowrance fuel flow meter between the tank and the fuel pump, not between the fuel pump and the engine, that way it reads what is being drawn out of the fuel tank and not the amount being being circulated through the fuel pump and return line. But this only works because my return line does not go back into the tank, it goes back into a reservoir on the fuel pump itself
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The outboards are a single line system (at least those that I have fooled with), so no return line (to the fuel tank), the 4 strokes I have worked on actualy have a fuel resevoir that the injection system draws from and then returns the fuel there. So they still feed the motor with one line and a paddle wheel sensor will work fine, or Lowrance makes some that will plug into the ECU and read out as GPH based on what the injectors are doing.

These are kinda nice because it will give you a lot more info on what happening with the motor, such as: temp, oil press, trim posistion and much more. Relatively cheap for Lowrance LMF 200 (I think thats the number?), maybe around 2 bills plus the interface......Even cooler yet cause then you can connect it to a NMEA network and will link to a GPS and read out in MPG, which is what we are really after.............

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

If your using Garmin gear, the GFS 10 works pretty good for a cheap alternative.