Thread: Best time to harvest diamond willow for peeling/carving/etc?

Default Best time to harvest diamond willow for peeling/carving/etc?

SSIA

I'm assuming that once the sap starts to flow in the coming weeks/months that it would be the best time to select and harvest willow... Looking to collect some and make walking sticks, show the kids how to safely peel/whittle, etc...

Any tips/tricks out there?

Where are you finding the diamond willow I have not had much luck? When I ask where just meaning, place type, valley, high country?

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead08 View Post
    Where are you finding the diamond willow I have not had much luck? When I ask where just meaning, place type, valley, high country?
    My experience has been that you can find it about anywhere.. I find most of mine along the Big Susitna River because that's where I spend the majority of my time... Years ago a friend and I cut a pickup load of diamond willow between the Bridge and McCarthy

Yeah I have heard river moraines and glacier valleys and have seen diamond willow but, none of the nostalgic type that I see for sale. I can honestly say when I am in the outdoors though my self prescribed ADD kicks in, as oh look that looks interesting over there, and off I go forgetting what I was even doing. I just do too much in the outdoors everything piques my curiosity.

Do it soon this is a great time to get dimond willow. Creek and river bottoms are the best places to find it. The bark peels off in strips right now but it sucks to peel when the sap is in it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I have found if you get it in early June the bark strips off real easy. I once made the mistake of harvesting some in NOV, still have some of it in my garage.