Thread: nice weekend

Default nice weekend

Nice weekend in PWS if you ignored the weather report of rain and snow, nothing but sunshine Saturday and Sunday. Went out Friday night and stayed in Surprise cove, had a little ice Saturday morning; good thing we didnít tuck up behind the Island. Went over to Applegate and did a little beach combing than trolled some off West Bay Perry with no luck. Tried to catch some rock fish for dinner with but no luck, seems nothing is biting this early. Tucked into one of our favorite coves and hit the beach for some more exporting. Sunday stopped at a couple of spots on the way in, didnít see another boat all weekend just a couple of tugs. Was nice to head into Whittier without dealing with other boat wakes, look forward to dropping pots next weekend.

Go here to see some more pics:
    http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Wow, you are hard core. I couldn't get mine out of the driveway for another week or two. Glad to see someone is out there enjoying the Sound.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I got out for the maiden voyage of my new boat. I've been watching the weather and thought Saturday would be a good shot and it turned out to be a great first day for the skiff. I have never been to Whittier before so it was a day of great first. The boat tested out great and I made it out to the mouth of Culross Passage after spending some time to make sure everything worked well. I snapped a few pics. What a great day and I'm really happy with the boat so far.

Mark,

What dock where you at? That doesn't look like Whittier to me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Mark,

What dock where you at? That doesn't look like Whittier to me.
    Jim,
    It looks like the Whittier hotel dock.

Nice pictures, guys. April cruising is one of my favorite times to be out there. I just need my driveway to clear up!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That dock is where the harbor master office is currently. It is the dock at the Inn at Whittier.

So how did Whittier look? Rumor had it things were pretty tore up around the launch and such. We're hoping to make it out this weekend for the shrimp opener.

The launch is fine, but 80% of the parking lot is filled with construction material/debris and the moved harbor master's building.

My guess is the parking lot is going to fill up fast next weekend if the weather stays nice, hope they have a contingence plan for the potential overflow. When we left Sunday they were moving snow off much of the parking area so perhaps there will be more parking available for the shrimp opener.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    My guess is the parking lot is going to fill up fast next weekend if the weather stays nice, hope they have a contingence plan for the potential overflow. When we left Sunday they were moving snow off much of the parking area so perhaps there will be more parking available for the shrimp opener.
    How much snow is in the lot across the tracks? It sure looks like a lean snow year for them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have another nice point to this weekend. I spent about 4 hours running around , goofed around decision point then across to Blackstone point and explored a little bit in the coves at Pt. Cochran and then across to the mouth of Culross. I stopped in between the two points of land right at the mouth of the passage. I decided to run back to Whittier from there, which took 36 minutes. I topped the fuel off today and it cost me $6.38(Premium). It only used 1.497 gallons of gas. 50 horse Evinrude E-Tec. I'm very happy with that! Great weekend!

Very cool--cold actually with the ice in the morning. I have been trying to get out and play around one day a weekend on our boat down in Homer, but cannot wait to go play around in PWS. Was really hoping to make a trip for the shrimp opener, but may end up waiting a couple more weeks. Left our boat in its slip in Homer--so if I was going to make the run to PWS this coming weekend, should really have brought it back to Kenai to cut down on the drive. The temptation may prove more than I can bear though--so who knows.

Who all is heading out for the opener anyway?

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.