Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme novice angler needs some help.

Default Extreme novice angler needs some help.

Ok so I have fished before but I dont remember a whole lot. I need to purchase all new gear and was wondering what type of stuff I would need to start fishing regularly in Alaska. Im military so I dont have a ton of cash to spend but still want decent dependable gear. I need help on everything to boot. Rods, Reels, tackle, where to fish you name it. I will probably be doing mostly fresh water from the banks or wading seeing that I dont have a boat. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris.

Hi and welcome to the forum.I would say to an angler on a budget...Or for that matter anyone fishing to go with a shakespeare Ugly Stik in any size and as far as where to fish I would need to know which base your posted to.If FT. Wainwright I could totally hook you up.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Welcome! I will have to second the Ugly Stik! I like Penn Reels, right now Costco has three different Ugly Stik/Penn combos that are priced well. They have a saltwater rod, medium action spinner and a light spinner.

I would go with an Ugly Stik lite MH rod with a Shimano reel with power pro 30lb braided line. Get a variety of Vibrax spinners from size 3-6 and some Pixies and you should be set to tackle most fish in Alaska. I would also check out going to the Russian River/Kenai River when the Red Salmon are running. You will need Russian River Flies and weights for that. One thing to make sure that you have is a decent set of breathable waders. Remember that in 1year the felt ban goes into effect, so you may want to look into another alternative for your wading boot. Most of the valley streams are good places to fish for a novice. You may also look into getting an ultra lite outfit for the lakes.

Thanks for the replies. I have a decent idea now on a rod, reel, line and waders. I dont really have the first clue about fly fishing and the required weights etc. Can you do that with the same rod/reel setup or would I need a completely different setup for that? I dont know how to set up a fly/weight either. I know a little about basic tackle/hookes/lures but other than that I just use a hotdog

I stationed on elmendorf AB for the next 4 years so I want to get some serious fishing done!

You can use a spinning set-up as you really are not "fly-fishing" it is called flipping. You have your weight up about 18-36in up from your fly and cast-up river and let it drift passed you with the weight bouncing of the bottom. At about 45 degrees from you down stream you lift your rod tip up and do it again. You will feel the fish at the bottom of the drift if you do it right. My best suggestion is to watch someone who is catching fish and see how they have rigged up and the technique that they are using and follow there lead. Good luck and tight lines

you make it sound easy. I may actually be able to do that.

When out fishing, just watch and learn. You will get the hang of it in a short matter of time.
    And this is the place to come to when you need an answer to a question.
    Even if you think the question is stupid, it will be answered and you were smart enough to ask.

Default a little more finesse

Go down to B&Js. Get a lamiglass 8 or 10wt fly rod and a SA reel or one they recommend. Load it up with a fast sinking fly line. Get some 2/0 hooks (if going to the Russian make sure you get the right hooks). Prepare your rig with some split shot (amount depends on degree of current). Here is the finesse. Weights need to be 3 and more feet up from the hook. You want to feel the line in the salmons mouth and then set the hook. Experiment with the weight to hook distance for better hook ups. When you get it right, you will avoid the majority of snag (illegal) hookups and enjoy a good take rate.

Drag and rip - well let's just say avoid it. You'll see a lot of folks using spinning rods and even some that could be halibut rods. I prefer the feel of the set up described above and it gives you the opportunity to try some other species like rainbows with the correct tweaks to your set up.

Get a good - no great pair of sunglasses and a hat with a good brim. Cheapest way to go on waders is the often used rubber but if you are going to be here 4 years consider grabbing a nice pair of breathable waders and of course a decent pair of footwear. Don't get felt soles as they are the way out.

Backpack and vest. Your choice but if going to a place like the Russian you must basically keep it with you, so make it comfortable. Easiest way to pack out fillets also.

Technique. See the above post for the most part on the "flip" with one difference. If you are set up correctly, you will feel the fish (maybe not the first day) and you will know when to set the hook. Work with the water and keep your line moving to avoid hooking the bottom constantly.

More traditional fly casts will be used on other species.

Fillet knife. Hard to go wrong with a Cutco at the price. Just don't "lose it" as they tend to grow legs.

Grab a buddy from the base who has a boat to go halibut and ocean salmon fishing. They will typically have the gear so help them out with costs. They will teach you the techniques.

Good luck and have a great fishing season.

Some awesome info here! I went down to Sportsmans warehouse today and picked up a shimano reel. Next week should be the rod and some tackle/lures and what not. Then Ill just have to figure out how to actually catch something.

Also what is a felt bottom wader? I was taking a peak at them in the store today but dont know enough to tell the difference. Do you just wear a boot inside of them or a different type of shoe?

Thanks again for all the advice!

January 1, 2012 there will be a ban on felt sole boot bottoms. I would make sure that you get ones that are rubber bottoms, or else you will have to buy another pair the next year. Go take a look at the chest waders, there are two main types, breathable and neoprene. I would highly recommend the breathable waders, and you will need some wading boots. Get a good pair of boots that are comfortable,as you will be using them for years. I would take a look at the hodgman wadelite waders, they are comfortable and will last several years. Most of the felt boots will be on sales, so resist the urge to buy them because they are cheap. Great choice on the reel. Great advise by traderjon, I just picked up a 8wt fly rod to try at the Russian.

I know I have to sound like a retard asking these questions but.........

Do you wear the boots inside the waders or do they have their own built in? I have never used gear like this before, all my previous fishing has been done from the banks.

Here I will be talking about trout fishing.

A thing I like to do is drive around (mostly on back roads on the 4 wheeler, not old enough to drive solo) and find little creeks that run through culverts under the road, go on the up stream side of said culvers, and cast spinnters and flies right at the opening, then, after about 5-10 minutes, go to the down stream side of the culvert, and get a NO 8 hook and put on a little power bait, a worm, or and egg or 2, OR if you have it, 1/3 of a night crawler and an egg on the tip of the hook, and toss it into the culvert, with about 7-10 feet of line (think russian river type casts) and let it drift down into the wash, it litterally kills them. a fly works good too, even on a spinning pole.

the fish arent as big (around 10-12 inches average) but some get huge ( caught one that was pushing 18) the best part is, it easy, quick, and fun. I always have my limit (2 here, and that is all I would eat anyway) with in 20 minutes. Be sure to not fish it very often, other wise you might take them all out, or even make them move, but catch and release is fun, and taking a few of the littler ones is good too, gives the babys and bigger ones more food to get even bigger.

5 foot, 20 dollar "ready to fish" kit, don't get me wrong, its good to update, and it always fun to get a new rod, but, when I moved up here I bought a south bend "fishin' pal" and its never failed me yet I even landed a few salmon with it, then I broke my reel on my salmon pole, so I put that reel on my salmon pole, and went down to valdez, and caught 62 pink salmon and a 18 LB silver (of course I didn't have a derby ticket) then came home and I caught 47 silvers,pinks, and chums with it in 3 hours, and it never failed. this spring I took it apart and re-lubed it, and put it back on the trout pole and it works good, caught a trout on it this evening.

panther martin spinners
    they are the best spinner on the market, I have caught hundreds if not thousands, and a silver or 2 on them and they work awesome, my favorite is a black body, has yellowish dots, and a gold blade, then there is one that is pink, has a pink and white blade and black spots, I like that one with the "dressed" tail, looks like it has a fly tied onto the hooks. my other favorite is brown body, brown and white blade, with black spots. another one is the silver blade with a yellow body and red spots on the body. I like the medium size.

No 8 snell hooks
    best all around size for streams where the trout don't get to big, easier to conceal with eggs or a worm.

small bobbers.
    easier to fit in a tackle box than big ones

split shot weights
    a mixed bag of them works good for all around

6 or 8 LB line,
    its a matter of opinion here, 6 lb line is harder for fish to see, but obviously its not as strong, 8 Lb line is pretty tough, might be better since you are a beginner till you learn to "play" our fish better, if you plan on fishing big rivers, the fish will be bigger and I would go with 8 Lb in case you run in to a whopper or maybe a pike or burbot.

worms, power bait, or eggs, or all of them
    these are the best bait I have found so far, worms and eggs together being the best. threading a worm on a spinner is deadly too, me and my grandpa caught 35 each in 6 hours of strait fishing, even caught them in the middle of the day. we were trolling.

for fishing around here, I can't suggest a 6 Ft pole, a 5 is better because of brush reasons.

When I started fishing up here, I had a whole back pack full of fishing stuff, starting last year, I started throwing stuff away that was just sitting in the box rusting, So I became a minamilest, now my tackle box fits in my pants pocket. and I have found its funner to keep it small, before didn't want to move around because I felt really burdened, now if I'm not catching something, I just close my box, put it in my pants pocket and start hikin,

So, my "small game" fishing eqipment consists of

5 foot pole ($20.00 at fredmeyers, came with reel)
    8 Lb test momofilament line.
    5 panter martin spinners, assorted colors. 4 medium size, one smallest size of my favorite color.
    2 No. 4 salmon spinners, one red and green, one blue and pink.
    1 smallish "spoon"
    5 No 8 snell hooks, with 8 inch leaders (you can buy them with leaders already on them form eagle claw)
    10 sinkers 4 tiny, 4 medium and 2 big
    1 small bobber
    2 little jigs
    a little bag with about a table spoon or so of power bait, for just in case I don't have any other bait with me
    a piece of tin foil, with salt and pepper and seasoning salt in it, folded up real tight, for just in case I "have" to eat a lake side lunch.

a bottle of power bait and occasionally I buy a box or worms and I always cure some salmon roe form the salmon I catch.

I use that, and I most always catch what I will eat (usualy 2)

As for eating fish:

gut your fish, leave the head on, and when you go to fry it, put some salt and pepper on it and in it, and fill the body cavity with onion. fry till it flakes off pretty good, it should start to kinda "crack" along the dorsal fin, if you do it right, you can pull up on the head, and "peel" it up, and the meat should come of with the bones still on the skeleton, and its good.

hope this is helpful

Most waders have neoprene booties. The boots fit over the top of these booties to keep your feet dry. The boots will get wet, but they are usually made out of a fast drying material. When you go back to Sportsman's Warehouse go look at the footwear area. They will have a rack of several different waders and an area where the wading boots are.

no boot needed. You wear thick socks in these.
    Attachment 47735
    and with these waders you need to get a boot for them cause they have neoprene booties.
    Attachment 47736
    But whatever you do, DO NOT buy any felt soled wading footwear, no matter how good the price is. You will just have to buy another pair next year.
    The felt sole wading boot will be outlawed as of 1/1/12.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Here I will be talking about trout fishing.

A thing I like to do is drive around (mostly on back roads on the 4 wheeler, not old enough to drive solo) and find little creeks that run through culverts under the road, go on the up stream side of said culvers, and cast spinnters and flies right at the opening, then, after about 5-10 minutes, go to the down stream side of the culvert, and get a NO 8 hook and put on a little power bait, a worm, or and egg or 2, OR if you have it, 1/3 of a night crawler and an egg on the tip of the hook, and toss it into the culvert, with about 7-10 feet of line (think russian river type casts) and let it drift down into the wash, it litterally kills them. a fly works good too, even on a spinning pole.

the fish arent as big (around 10-12 inches average) but some get huge ( caught one that was pushing 18) the best part is, it easy, quick, and fun. I always have my limit (2 here, and that is all I would eat anyway) with in 20 minutes. Be sure to not fish it very often, other wise you might take them all out, or even make them move, but catch and release is fun, and taking a few of the littler ones is good too, gives the babys and bigger ones more food to get even bigger.

5 foot, 20 dollar "ready to fish" kit, don't get me wrong, its good to update, and it always fun to get a new rod, but, when I moved up here I bought a south bend "fishin' pal" and its never failed me yet I even landed a few salmon with it, then I broke my reel on my salmon pole, so I put that reel on my salmon pole, and went down to valdez, and caught 62 pink salmon and a 18 LB silver (of course I didn't have a derby ticket) then came home and I caught 47 silvers,pinks, and chums with it in 3 hours, and it never failed. this spring I took it apart and re-lubed it, and put it back on the trout pole and it works good, caught a trout on it this evening.

panther martin spinners
    they are the best spinner on the market, I have caught hundreds if not thousands, and a silver or 2 on them and they work awesome, my favorite is a black body, has yellowish dots, and a gold blade, then there is one that is pink, has a pink and white blade and black spots, I like that one with the "dressed" tail, looks like it has a fly tied onto the hooks. my other favorite is brown body, brown and white blade, with black spots. another one is the silver blade with a yellow body and red spots on the body. I like the medium size.

No 8 snell hooks
    best all around size for streams where the trout don't get to big, easier to conceal with eggs or a worm.

small bobbers.
    easier to fit in a tackle box than big ones

split shot weights
    a mixed bag of them works good for all around

6 or 8 LB line,
    its a matter of opinion here, 6 lb line is harder for fish to see, but obviously its not as strong, 8 Lb line is pretty tough, might be better since you are a beginner till you learn to "play" our fish better, if you plan on fishing big rivers, the fish will be bigger and I would go with 8 Lb in case you run in to a whopper or maybe a pike or burbot.

worms, power bait, or eggs, or all of them
    these are the best bait I have found so far, worms and eggs together being the best. threading a worm on a spinner is deadly too, me and my grandpa caught 35 each in 6 hours of strait fishing, even caught them in the middle of the day. we were trolling.

for fishing around here, I can't suggest a 6 Ft pole, a 5 is better because of brush reasons.

When I started fishing up here, I had a whole back pack full of fishing stuff, starting last year, I started throwing stuff away that was just sitting in the box rusting, So I became a minamilest, now my tackle box fits in my pants pocket. and I have found its funner to keep it small, before didn't want to move around because I felt really burdened, now if I'm not catching something, I just close my box, put it in my pants pocket and start hikin,

So, my "small game" fishing eqipment consists of

5 foot pole ($20.00 at fredmeyers, came with reel)
    8 Lb test momofilament line.
    5 panter martin spinners, assorted colors. 4 medium size, one smallest size of my favorite color.
    2 No. 4 salmon spinners, one red and green, one blue and pink.
    1 smallish "spoon"
    5 No 8 snell hooks, with 8 inch leaders (you can buy them with leaders already on them form eagle claw)
    10 sinkers 4 tiny, 4 medium and 2 big
    1 small bobber
    2 little jigs
    a little bag with about a table spoon or so of power bait, for just in case I don't have any other bait with me
    a piece of tin foil, with salt and pepper and seasoning salt in it, folded up real tight, for just in case I "have" to eat a lake side lunch.

a bottle of power bait and occasionally I buy a box or worms and I always cure some salmon roe form the salmon I catch.

I use that, and I most always catch what I will eat (usualy 2)

As for eating fish:

gut your fish, leave the head on, and when you go to fry it, put some salt and pepper on it and in it, and fill the body cavity with onion. fry till it flakes off pretty good, it should start to kinda "crack" along the dorsal fin, if you do it right, you can pull up on the head, and "peel" it up, and the meat should come of with the bones still on the skeleton, and its good.

hope this is helpful
    Had to bump this to the top. good stuff!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Just wanted to throw in my $.02. This forum is the place to gain so much knowledge. When I started fishing again a few years back, I used the search function and found so many helpful threads with valuable info for beginners. My dad always took care of things when we were young, so I had NO knowledge of my own. I also just bought an inexpensive fly rod/kit at Sportsman's to get started.

Best of luck...and like several people on here told me: "Just get out there and give it a shot!!!"
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

I mean that when I started, I started with an inexpensive rod. You figure out what you want/need/lack as you go along. On the other hand, you get a nice rod from the get-go, then you have better gear to last a while!
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

FURFISHGAME, you show maturity way behond your age. Very helpful post above. This will help many. I vote to give you a "Rep Point"

I agree it was very very helpful and for some reason it also reminded me of fishing at piledriver slough a long time ago.Grayling out of the culvert fishing just doesnt get better than that.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast