Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: No bait with a Spin N Glow??? King Fishing

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default No bait with a Spin N Glow??? King Fishing

    I've been getting ready for King season. Not my first year fishing in AK but my first year King fishing in AK. I have been picking up size 4-6 Vibrax, a bunch of Pixies and several different size spin n glows. My question is do you ever fish spin n glows without bait?

    What are the best king colors in the valley (general). I've got a bunch of greens, blues, and black. In spin n glows orange,yellows, and fire tigers.

    In the past what do the bait seasons usually look like in the Valley and on the Pen?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Caught many an AK king with baitless Spin-N-Glo's.

    Drift fishing SNG and yarn from the shore or from a free-drifting boat is the most traditional old-school technique.

    They can also be backtrolled or backbounced WITHOUT bait. This is very popular on the Little Su. Also know a lot of folks that bounce naked SNG's for Kenai kings, even when bait is legal .... they just can't stand the mess associated with eggs.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  3. #3

    Default

    My experience has been, that early in the run, the Kings are less aggressive and more intent on moving on...when they get congregated in the holes, they become more defensivie and agitated and will strike at most anything that gets near. SNG are one thing they will strike and grab hold of. Colors vary creek to creek and year to year...water clarity and depth and sunlight make a difference. You will need a selection to start with and then find out what works on that trip.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Thats cool info guys. What about size? I've been seeing them at the store from 1/2" to the 1 3/8" monsters? Hook size? What about the premade ones with treble hooks?

    thanks again for all the info

  5. #5
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Stay away from the pre-rigged outfits.For kings the treble hooks are illegal on mst rivers.Take a look at how they are rigged and put them together yourself.Heck,that's half the fun--figuring out what combination of colors works on any given day.Cheaper also.

  6. #6
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    I've been King fishing the Valley streams for almost thirty years and one of the many things I've learned through the years is that smaller is
    usually better. As mentioned earlier, water turbidity, flow, sunlight etc. can dictate color and size, but in general I've had great success compared to others fishing around me while using small SNG.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I've been King fishing the Valley streams for almost thirty years and one of the many things I've learned through the years is that smaller is
    usually better. As mentioned earlier, water turbidity, flow, sunlight etc. can dictate color and size, but in general I've had great success compared to others fishing around me while using small SNG.
    Absolutely True...and as an added bonus...The Rainbow Trout like them!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    That makes sense. When silver fishing this last year I would go out to the tailrace with a size 1 or 2 vibrax in a special color and get my fish pretty quick. The guys out there using #5's would cast all day without a bite.

    When can you normally use bait in the valley for kings?

  9. #9
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post

    When can you normally use bait in the valley for kings?
    When the deshka gets a good run the deshka *might* open for bait otherwise its no bait in most road accessible areas
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  10. #10
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Just cast and #6 Vibrax inline blue bell spinner and you will catch kings...proven killer!

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  11. #11
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    When the deshka gets a good run the deshka *might* open for bait otherwise its no bait in most road accessible areas
    if you read the regs you can use bait in the Big su at the mouths of most of the rivers. But you have to read the regs real close and there is a distance you have to be away from the mouth of the river. I think you would pretty much have to be in a boat to use it though. Bt if yoru fishing up stream you can forget about bait.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    seen alotta silvers pulled outta the su' with a blue spin n' glow with no bait

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Good information. I will continue to pick up a few vibrax. Do you guys ever use smaller vibrax? What about black vibrax with chartruse?

    thanks

    Teach

  14. #14
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    if you read the regs you can use bait in the Big su at the mouths of most of the rivers. But you have to read the regs real close and there is a distance you have to be away from the mouth of the river. I think you would pretty much have to be in a boat to use it though. Bt if yoru fishing up stream you can forget about bait.
    NOT TRUE!!! BAD BAD! This is a thread about KING fishing. Yes, bait is legal in areas of the Big Su, but when king season is going on, its for burbot only. All other fish must be released immediately. Bait for other species opens back up July 14, after king season is closed. The only bait fishery along the Parks Highway for kings is the Deshka, which must be reached by air or boat.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Missouri
    Posts
    265

    Default

    It has been several years (30+) but I fished Spin N Glows for steelhead in Washington State. Had no bait on them. I do have to say that the water was much clearer in Washington and the flash of the Spin N Glows really brought in the fish. Not sure if the flash would be enough in Alaska. My VERY VERY VERY limited Alaska fishing makes me think the roe or herring strip attracts the salmon & the flash just finishes the deal.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •