Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mounted in Alaska!!!

Default Mounted in Alaska!!!

Knight's Taxidermy from here in Anchorage has a new show on the History Channel. Check it out: http://www.history.com/shows/mounted-in-alaska

Brett

Its a cool show. that lion turned out good, but for $8500 it better. I plan on making my way up to Big Lake soon to take a look at that polar bear. I had several kids in my class talking about it, one of them didn't know mounts didn't have animal parts inside of them.

Caught two episodes and like it so far. Production format is nothing unique as its a template used on many shows but I like the personalities and topic. Wasn't sure how they were going to pull this one off stuffing dead animals but so far its interesting.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'm fairly certain that he's gonna loose a lot of business after the first couple of shows. The polar bear looked horrible, and the lion...was embarassing. I realize he was working with a turd for the polar bear, but still...that was awful. If you notice there was NEVER any shot of the face at less than 20'. And the lion....ugh..... It's been said a lot: the face is the true skill part of taxidermy, and there was no skill used on that lion. Looked like the old cartoons of when the cat gets teh canary...
    I'm going to guess that their "very important custom" with a "trophy of a lifetime" isn't going to be thrilled when he sees his critter get handed off to the new guy.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

after seeing that bear and lion Id never take anything to them, the lions was a discrace to say the least.

Can't comment on the show, haven't seen it. Russ's work on my game has been excellent in the past though....no complaints.
    BK

I'm with Ak22, HORRIBLE work. That lion was the worse. I was told long ago to stay away from that shop. Glad I listened..

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    after seeing that bear and lion Id never take anything to them, the lions was a discrace to say the least.
    I'm with you. The lion looked more like bill the cat vs. the king of the jungle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Can't believe it is even a show. I guess $$ goes to a guys head! I'll pass on Knight's also!

I'm glad they aren't my taxidermist for big game, but for the fish, I really liked the rice paper salmon artwork, and the finished product on the kids silver was pretty nice. I thought they did a good job on the crab as well.

I'm not so sure as to there quality of work after looking at the Lion the other night on the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'm glad they aren't my taxidermist for big game, but for the fish, I really liked the rice paper salmon artwork, and the finished product on the kids silver was pretty nice. I thought they did a good job on the crab as well.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

I hate to say it but I will, I was not impressed with the work I witnessed via the show. I have seen work from them in person and have never had a negative thought regarding the art. The show really did seal the deal for me, I will not be using them in the future. It's more to do with the staff than anything but they certainly seemed like a bunch of clowns handling other people's memories.

IMO the lion and bear are horrible. Even my wife commented on how bad they looked... the crab was o.k. and the salmon art was good.

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    The show really did seal the deal for me, I will not be using them in the future. It's more to do with the staff than anything but they certainly seemed like a bunch of clowns handling other people's memories.
    Very common when you look behind the scenes of any business......it's whether or not the owner will tolerate it.

I can't speak for the lion, I did think the pose looked ackward. As far as the bear is concerned, did you take a close look at it before they started? Anything would be an improvement and there was no way anyone could have made it look like an original mount. There was a lot of damamge to it. I'm not sure anyone couold have done any better. He's done a few things for me and I've been at his place many times. Allt he work I've seen is excellent and I would use him again. Its a reality TV show which means nothing is real.

I saw that bear in person a couple of months ago at the Inn. Granted, I had a few pops in me but I thought it looked good. Might have been beer goggles though.

As long as he can do better than this lion mount, he is doing OK.

I've seen his work and had some work done by Knights. Good quality work in my experience. A family friend of mine used to work there. He was supposed to be on the show, they were filming him but he got another job offer. So far i'm liking it.

I know with the Troopers, they get a "review" of what they put together to make sure what is seen is what they WANT seen. I'm guessing Russ Knight didn't have that kind of clause.

He lets a NEW guy work on a once in a lifetime trophy....of one of his best customers. Not good.

So, not only "Tundra", but "Knights" is on my no-go list. I realize the bear was polishing a turd, but a good taxi told me once "if you can't do it well you don't do it. Don't want your name on a turd, even if it came in the shop as a steaming pile."
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

i thought the same thing - best clients and new guy don't really go hand in hand. Another thing, what about the other customers who have their animals there? I guess who ever comes in and says I need it now, their work gets done first? I wouldn't say I don't like the show, I do, but i don't know that he would get any of my business. Of course now that he is on TV he wouldn't need my business - i'm just sayin

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast