Thread: The elusive Tangle Lakes LAKER

Default The elusive Tangle Lakes LAKER

Hello my Fishing Forum "Family" I am once again in need of your help.I have been fishing Tangle Lakes For almost 20 years and have yet to catch my First laker.I was wondering if anyone had any Advice for catching lakers at tangle lakes? I would be eternally grateful also I would be using a spinning outfit so baits?? One more thing I would also like to know the best month/week to go get them starting in may/june.Thank you all.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Here is a story for you......September of 2001....fishing tangle lake where the river empties into the lake....0 mepps and an ultra light spinning rod.....Pouring rain and just crap out but I had to get out of the tent and away from the wife....Im chasing graying...A couple was soaking eggs for lakers....All of a sudden wham....Im like holy crap.....Thinking I got a trophy grayling......Fight the beast for a while and when I land it.....27inch lake trout on 4lb test. A pleasent surprise....My one and only laker in life so far
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

AlBradley, I've had about as good of luck as you... But me thinks these ppl know a secret.

http://www.tangleriverinn.com/gallery.htm

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Couple of things that might assist you and Chuck Aw dang it man I think you deserve more than just one some day when I get to slow Here is a nice site to assist you in your chase: http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada...utfishing.html and of course http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...lake_trout.pdf

Lakers Spawn in the Fall that being said Tangle Lakes is fairly high in elevation meaning the weather turns sooner then lets say Big Lake say a couple three weeks. So by fall Tangles would mean early Sept versus the begining of Oct.

Couple things to consider; First Ice Out can be very prodcutive between the lakes in the rivers that connect them this is always a matter of timing. Yes you will find them in the river and not just the mouths of the rivers/creeks at the drop offs but actaully in the river Can you say Grayling Caviar! Second thing to remember is the fish love to stay within there comfort zone of water temps so in the Spring the thermacline is shallow and in the fall once the lake "turns" again Lake Trout can be found closer to the shore. Third thing would be if your fishing the light of summer you might consider fishing for them later in the evening and earlier in the morning. I have spent a hoop of time on Paxson Lake over the past 15 years starting rafting trips. A lot and I do mean a lot of people you target Lakers on Paxson starting fishing about 11:00PM and fish till about 5:00AM the same would hold true for Tangle Lakes!

That being said it is my opinion if your going to target the most prodcutive times and areas you should look at directly after ice out from Lake to Lake in the stream portion i.e. first 100 yards in and out IMO. I would also night fish "well" as much as twighlight fishing as night fishing Mid June through Mid July and then I would chase them in Early Sept in shallower water and look to the spawn.

Sorry for rambling! Been a long weekend.

Best wishes and Tight Lines

Moose-O

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Couple of things that might assist you and Chuck Aw dang it man I think you deserve more than just one some day when I get to slow Here is a nice site to assist you in your chase: http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada...utfishing.html and of course http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...lake_trout.pdf

Lakers Spawn in the Fall that being said Tangle Lakes is fairly high in elevation meaning the weather turns sooner then lets say Big Lake say a couple three weeks. So by fall Tangles would mean early Sept versus the begining of Oct.

Couple things to consider; First Ice Out can be very prodcutive between the lakes in the rivers that connect them this is always a matter of timing. Yes you will find them in the river and not just the mouths of the rivers/creeks at the drop offs but actaully in the river Can you say Grayling Caviar! Second thing to remember is the fish love to stay within there comfort zone of water temps so in the Spring the thermacline is shallow and in the fall once the lake "turns" again Lake Trout can be found closer to the shore. Third thing would be if your fishing the light of summer you might consider fishing for them later in the evening and earlier in the morning. I have spent a hoop of time on Paxson Lake over the past 15 years starting rafting trips. A lot and I do mean a lot of people you target Lakers on Paxson starting fishing about 11:00PM and fish till about 5:00AM the same would hold true for Tangle Lakes!

That being said it is my opinion if your going to target the most prodcutive times and areas you should look at directly after ice out from Lake to Lake in the stream portion i.e. first 100 yards in and out IMO. I would also night fish "well" as much as twighlight fishing as night fishing Mid June through Mid July and then I would chase them in Early Sept in shallower water and look to the spawn.

Sorry for rambling! Been a long weekend.

Best wishes and Tight Lines

Moose-O
    Thank you very very much everyone I think i will get my laker now lol.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I doubt if Tangle Lakes will be out until at least Memorial Day or the week after. Try to NOT use bait for lakers unless you plan to keep several..... I suggest casting spoons like a Daredevil, Krocodile, Williams Whitefish. You can fish flies on a spinning reel. Just use a water bobber, swivel, 24"-6 feet of line, then your fly. Any streamer that looks like a grayling/whitefish. You can cast Flatfish or other trolling plugs.

If have fished 20 years and not caught a laker, try different water. Some lakes do not support enough or any population of lake trout.

Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Me and some friends tried trolling about 50 yards out and caught 2 lakers and 3 grayling in 45 min. Right off the main shore from the campground. Problem with casting from the bank is all the **** weeds in that lake...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Here is a story for you......September of 2001....fishing tangle lake where the river empties into the lake....0 mepps and an ultra light spinning rod.....Pouring rain and just crap out but I had to get out of the tent and away from the wife....Im chasing graying...A couple was soaking eggs for lakers....All of a sudden wham....Im like holy crap.....Thinking I got a trophy grayling......Fight the beast for a while and when I land it.....27inch lake trout on 4lb test. A pleasent surprise....My one and only laker in life so far
    I was fishing for grayling at that very same spot when I was a lad and I saw a school of 7 or 8 of those beasts come cruising by just off shore, they weren't interested in what I had to offer... it was like sept 5th

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I doubt if Tangle Lakes will be out until at least Memorial Day or the week after. Try to NOT use bait for lakers unless you plan to keep several..... I suggest casting spoons like a Daredevil, Krocodile, Williams Whitefish. You can fish flies on a spinning reel. Just use a water bobber, swivel, 24"-6 feet of line, then your fly. Any streamer that looks like a grayling/whitefish. You can cast Flatfish or other trolling plugs.

If have fished 20 years and not caught a laker, try different water. Some lakes do not support enough or any population of lake trout.

Mike
    I should be honest here I suppose...I have not tried to catch them at tangle lakes yet,I have only went fishing in the actual lake for Burbot for a nice little dinner(I used grayling heads).I would fish until I caught one laker and then I would cook that sucker up and see what they taste like. Soo Bait it is.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I was fishing for grayling at that very same spot when I was a lad and I saw a school of 7 or 8 of those beasts come cruising by just off shore, they weren't interested in what I had to offer... it was like sept 5th
    Hey Fullbush any chance you would make a trip to tangle lakes for a weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Hey Fullbush any chance you would make a trip to tangle lakes for a weekend?
    Al I wish I could buddy but I have to make hay while the sun shines....I could possibly swing a late september trip. Not many people and cold but the fishing is marvelous

I'm taking a poll

Al I wish I could buddy but I have to make hay while the sun shines....I could possibly swing a late september trip. Not many people and cold but the fishing is marvelous
    I would be up for a late september trip.After living in the interior for so long im used to cold weather

I would be up for a late september trip.After living in the interior for so long im used to cold weather
    I'm gonna pencil it in then! Around the 20th of sept. Hey do they allow motors in tangle? If they do I'll bring us a trolling boat

I'm taking a poll

Yes they do allows motors

Yes they do allows motors
    lets see here,--the '11 gillnet season ends about 9/15, 9/20 tangle lakes w/ Al, 9/25 jet on down to the Russian for some palooza action, 10/06 head to Lewiston for some Clearwater steel w/ slimm, and about 10/15 or there abouts.... divorce court in Palmer
    Last edited by fullbush; 04-11-2011 at 13:55. Reason: Unless I lavish my wife in prepaid vacations to the tropics

I'm taking a poll

lets see here,--the '11 gillnet season ends about 9/15, 9/20 tangle lakes w/ Al, 9/25 jet on down to the Russian for some palooza action, 10/06 head to Lewiston for some Clearwater steel w/ slimm, and about 10/15 or there abouts.... divorce court in Palmer
    well you better get there early, I am pretty sure there will be a line.

I'm gonna pencil it in then! Around the 20th of sept. Hey do they allow motors in tangle? If they do I'll bring us a trolling boat
    That sounds great.

Is there anyone else interested for this trip??When does fishapalooza start/end??

Is there anyone else interested for this trip??When does fishapalooza start/end??
    The bulk of paloooza is the 2nd and 3rd week of september

The bulk of paloooza is the 2nd and 3rd week of september
    Hmm well if anyone wants to drop in It would appear Fullbush and Myself will be up at tangle lakes the 2nd or 3rd weekend of september.I would be happy to have a beer or a soda with you guys.It's always nice to meet forum members...Even though I havent had the pleasure of meeting anyone from here "Yet"