Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to dig?

Default Where to dig?

Hello everyone I am fairly new to prospecting and have done a little bit of research. I have my eye out on a creek where I haven't heard or read about anyone else prospecting in it. I want to try it this spring with a sluice box that I will purchase soon. My question is where would I start to dig to fill my buckets and what features to look for in my digging selection? Should it be material right from the creek or on the side of it or even on the side of a bank?

Thanks

As close to bedrock as you can and I would also take samples using an gold pan to find the hot spots or should I say gold spots.

Lot of varribles there.

Is there a high water mark? If so might try out some of the bank/moss on the sides. (I've had luck there)

Most creeks ar'nt flowing over bedrock, but if you find one that does, look in all the nooks a cranies, lol

I always try to find the biggest rocks and dig down under them. ( the ones in the creek )

Not sure if its a small creek or a large one you are talking about, look for gold indicators. ( That would be like garrnets and such)

Good luck and have fun.

Gold is where you find it.
    That being said gold usually follows a common path.
    That path is usually the shortest route. Usually this is the inside of the bends and a straight line between the bends.
    Bigger rocks often concentrate gold on the downstream side.
    Be sure and do a lot of sample panning as well.
    This is the best/only way to be sure an area has some gold in it if there is no recorded history of gold there.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Here is cool web site but I guess I would start with verifying where I wanted to dig wasn't on a claim of someone elses:
    http://nevada-outback-gems.com/basic...sic_placer.htm

This is a small creek with a small valley. Little water flow in creek except when ice is melting off of mountains. I am unsure if there is a high water mark on the banks but I do know there is an area where the creek was redirected and now has a dry creek bed. I was going to try start digging there but unsure. Would it be best to try digging on the upstream section of the dry creek bed or the lower section. I am unsure about any bed rock there. I guess I would have to just try a couple places and see if there is any gold at all.

I would suggest digging on the back of my homestead. I need a 24' X 32' shop building foundation. Hell it is in the early GOLD city of Sunrise, Alaska. You can keep what you find.

@ GUZ808
    Have you been to this creek yet? If so, is there any evidence of any mining or prospecting? Most creeks that are somewhat easily accessible, most likely have been prospected before. Not to say that there isn't gold there, but a better bet might be to find a spot with proven, paying gold. Research old mining areas. Once there, try to find a spot the old timers missed, or gold that has re concentrated from previous mining activity. My suggestion to you for prospecting this creek (the post "Where to dig?"), I'd follow rock skippers advice. Go in early, while the melt-off water is running. Start at the head of the creek, where the bedrock is most likely the shallowest, and work downstream prospecting. Pull moss (if available, otherwise dig a posthole and pan the bottommost dirt) from just below the inside bend. If good quantities show in your pan, keep prospecting downstream and see if it gets better or not. If you find a rich stretch of creek, dig holes on the bank, (close to the water, but not in it), with a shovel about every 50-100 feet apart, as deep as you possibly can. Don't waste much time on each hole digging or panning. You may have many holes to dig. It's easy to get distracted by the scenery or thought of "what if it just a little deeper...". It might take a few days to prospect a creek right. A good camping trip. And leave the sluice at home, for prospecting. Go light. AND If good looking gold isn't there, find another creek.

The reason I said try some moss on the side was because I was working in a village and there was a creek just a little north of the place, and you could pick little nuggets out of the moss that was on the inside coner. It was on native land so there was no chance of really getting to envolved with it. I was just panning for the fun of it at the time. It still boggles my mind that the village wont pursue it.

I have been to the creek just on the lower section. The creek and valley are small, maybe a mile and half from the head to tail waters. I have tried to research if any old timers have been at the creek. Didn't find much info. Access to the creek isn't a problem so thats why I was thinking about bringing a sluice box and using that for easier and quicker way to go through material. I have never thought about the moss thing which is great area to look(If the creek has any. Im not sure)

Default moss

The reason that I like the moss, is because of flood gold. This is the fine gold that doesn't settle fast during a flood. If you are prospecting on a creek and not sure if it carries gold, "mossing" is a quick indicator. Be aware, mossing is illegal in some parts. Rarely is it profitable, but it can be exciting and an easy way to avoid the shovel. Sometimes though, as rock skipper described, good gold can be found in moss, usually after a big flood. Grass roots can be good too. And don't skip those cracks in the rocks.

The problem with prospecting with a sluice box, is that you get committed to a spot. Do what you like, but I like to find a rich area first. My 2 cents,
    and good prospecting to ya.

I bought a little 4' backpack sluice, lol. It goes evrywhere with me.lol ( also have the camel gold wheel, bat operated with two bats, lol)

Please do tell what type of backpack sluice you bought, I've been thinking about this one: http://www.akmining.com/cart/min6506.htm

Watch this show called gold rush Alaska. It is on the history channel. About some guys from Oregon who came up to mine. You will learn everything NOT to do. Watch what they do and do the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Please do tell what type of backpack sluice you bought, I've been thinking about this one: http://www.akmining.com/cart/min6506.htm
    Just get a 3 foot box unless you have to be sneaky.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I got the one piece, but I really like that fold up. I payed about 110 dollars with shipping and all. Looks about the same design with the two differant riffles in it. Now I wish I would have looked around a little bit more.

If you get a fold up sluicebox, ensure it has a positive locking mechanism to hold it flat. They are a pain to clean out when they try to wash them into a bucket for cleaning. I watched a friend lose 1/2 days work due to it.

BTW - Remember that there can be several layers of gold in any spot. False bedrock is a great way to get easy gold after a flood. Usually a layer of clay. Remember that clay can and will rob a sluicebox, so it needs to be broken up before processing. or just scrape it with a small plastic scoop.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I have been looking at this one at AK mining but also another one which is made be another brand. I figured if the creek was small I could only use two or three sections of it. But unsure if the model is able to be broken into pieces. I need to look into it more.

Default Where to dig

I thought this thread was about "Where to dig?"

It is, but you have to have the right equipment when you find the place.

If you don't have your classifers, sluice and pans ( or other stuff ) whats the point?

Most places that are worth digging in are not where you can drive to them, so you have to downsize on the things you pack in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast