Thread: Kings and When?

Default Kings and When?

I Really would like to get out of Whittier and locate some Kings. Any ideas of who, when and where

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    I Really would like to get out of Whittier and locate some Kings. Any ideas of who, when and where
    Kings are frustrating in PWS. And while there are kings in PWS, it is really a challenge to find fishable numbers of them as there really are no rivers, other than the Copper, that they are milling around near and fattening up to prepare for spawning. But with that said, if you run down to the SW Sound to the numerous passage and islands by the gulf, you will get into pretty good numbers on some days as they seem to travel together. I have had fantasic king fishing in Bainbridge Passage before. I don't know where they were going, but there happened to be a lot of baitfish, birds, and salmon for about 2 weeks in early June two years ago. Perhaps they were on their way to the Copper, Kenai, or some other stream on the Gulf. In other years, like last, they were further south than I wanted to go. I would say the most consistent king fishing is down by Montague Island and other places in the Southern Sound. In fact, I have never caught one anywhere near Whittier. I would describe PWS an interception king fishery as the kings are passing through to go somewhere else.

Not impossible, but I wouldn't spend much time on it because there are just so few of them. Go towards the Gulf would be my best suggestion.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fish out of Homer as we have Kings all year and you do not have to travel very far for them

Quote Originally Posted by capt. bruce View Post
    Fish out of Homer as we have Kings all year and you do not have to travel very far for them
    Hey do you know a guy named Dave? He's a winter king and rockfish charter guide out of Homer

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I realize that I can go to Homer with probable sucess except for the 10 hrs of driving I would endure. I'd rather do the 4 hrs on the road and the 3 hr. Boat ride to Montegue and hope for the best. What I'm looking for is a Capt out of Whittier that actually fishes Kings...Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by capt. bruce View Post
    How far is not very far? I'm going to be down there with some folks in June and would like to get some fishing in. Do I bring my 20 ft. Wooldridge or do we hire a charter? Being from the Bush, I'm not too fond on moseying around the big water but not opposed to at least giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    I realize that I can go to Homer with probable sucess except for the 10 hrs of driving I would endure. I'd rather do the 4 hrs on the road and the 3 hr. Boat ride to Montegue and hope for the best. What I'm looking for is a Capt out of Whittier that actually fishes Kings...Thanx
    I wish I could point you to a charter outfit that goes after kings but I can't. What I can do is tell you where to go find kings in the sound during the 2nd and 3rd week of May and thats between Crafton Island and Main bay. Theres an early run that goes up Kings Bay and they are hogs (the state won't admit this run exists). 30lb average

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Going on a charter increases your chances of catching Kings and it is a good way of learning the areas fished and picking up tips on downrigger fishing for future use in your own boat

Catching kings isn't rocket science. If you have the fundamentals down, you can catch kings anywhere.

Give Port Ashton Lodge a call. I think they troll locally for kings.
    BK