Thread: Are my flares good?

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Are my flares good?

I have 4 Orion red flares which expire 7/2012, they don't say anything about being for day + or night on them, what do you think?

I would say you are good for another year, that reminds me to check mine, thanks.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Yep, they are good.
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

ACBMan: Take a look at the end cap; there should be a couple symbols; sun and moon for day/night or sun only for day only. Also, they will have the day/night designation printed on them; "Use Day or Night Only When Aircraft or Vessel is Sighted" (or in the case of day only): "Use Daytime Only...." Sounds like you are good to go, if you still have questions, go to http://safetyseal.net/ and either do a 'virtual VSC' or contact an examiner in your area using the prompts. Call/post/PM if you still have questions. Mike 907-463-2297

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    ACBMan: Take a look at the end cap; there should be a couple symbols; sun and moon for day/night or sun only for day only. Also, they will have the day/night designation printed on them; "Use Day or Night Only When Aircraft or Vessel is Sighted" (or in the case of day only): "Use Daytime Only...." Sounds like you are good to go, if you still have questions, go to http://safetyseal.net/ and either do a 'virtual VSC' or contact an examiner in your area using the prompts. Call/post/PM if you still have questions. Mike 907-463-2297
    I had always assumed that a flare (at least the kind I buy from Orion) was good for both day and night signaling. Guess I need to look at the cap.

What makes a flare good for day and not at night? I figure if you can see it during the day, why wouldn't you see it at night? Just curious.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Some flares are are parachutes with smoke while others are burning, like fireworks, giving off a bright light, I think...
    Thus the smoky parachute ones might not be visible at night.
    I could be wrong though!
    BK

I guess the word "flare" missled my thought. Makes sense now, I guess.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

A flare during the day is almost no good, maybe the smoke kind, hope they are looking directly at ya when you light it off, orange smoke type are much much better for the day time.
    I shot a flare off while watching 6 boats go by 10 miles away, not a one seen it. Next time out I had a smoke bomb!
    I need to add a couple smoke bombs.