Thread: cataract sgx oars

Default cataract sgx oars

any dealers or private boaters have experience and/or info on cataract sgX oars. i have their sgg oars in shorter lengths and like them. i now would like to buy a pair of 10' cataracts, available in either sgg or sgx. their website isn't very informative. they claim the sgx is stiffer w/o extra weight but don't tell you how they achieve this or post the weights of any of their products. the sgx cost approx $20 more each. anyone own these or sell them? thanks in advance, bill

I personally like the SGG model better because they do flex more which gives you more rebound at the end of your stroke and easier on your shoulders. Somewhat like a vaulting pole. the SGX has more graphite and less fiberglass which makes it lighter but stiffer. You will not be able to tell the weight difference. In my opinion.
    Goo

For what it is worth I am with Goeaux nothing wrong the with SGG and I doubt you will notice any weight difference. Nothing wrong with he SGX just don't know if you are truely getting more bang for your buck.

Moose-O

I also prefer the flex of the SGG models. If I wanted stiffer I would just go back to aluminum.

I've also been thinking about a pair of Cataract oars. I currently run 10' Carlisles and would like something lighter and counter balanced. I know I can add counter balance weights to my current shafts, but they'll just make them even heavier.

What are your opinions regarding rope wraps vs. sleeves and Oar Rights vs. stoppers? I'm not switching to pins and clips so that isn't a consideration.

Again Opinion but you are not feathering your oars for white water and looking for ease of use IMO the best option is Oar Rights and Sleeves. There is a new oar right out that gives you the ability to use as traditional that also allows you to feather the oar.

Pins and Clips are a viable option and I still use them from time to time on my Cats.

Great question

come on by the shop and we can show you multiple choices and explain the differances first hand. or give us a call at 561-7238.

Cool! Now I have an excuse to stop by the shop.

thanks everyone for the info. i think i'll stick with the sgg and save a few bucks. i'd like to hear some more thoughts on the rope wrap/sleeve debate. i used to think that the plastic sleeves were the way to go. more durable, adjustable and cost effective, but lately i have been breaking the sleeves just by retightening the screws after adjustments so i am on the fence.

i have some 5 year old rope wrapped cataract mini magnums for a pontoon boat. the last couple of seasons i've coated the rope wrap with krylon crystal clear acrylic and that seems to help hold the rope together pretty good. they were showing damage from the oar locks. anyone else tried this or other products? is there any reason i should not do this? rope or sleeves? thoughts?

thanks again! bill

yep, SGG with rope wrap. I also have Advanced Composites cut mine to make them breakdown. The break allows stowage inside airplanes and smaller car trunks. Total oar length without blades is 81", breakdown joint at 28.5" from the tip. I prefer rope wrap for ease of mounting the oar Rights. My oar lengths run a little over 9' with blades attached, which are perfect for our Levitator and Radicals.

If you go with 10' oar lengths, your break should be a little higher on the shaft. To answer the obvious question: No, i haven't had any oars weakened by the break. They are rock solid and have not had issues.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billfish View Post
    any dealers or private boaters have experience and/or info on cataract sgX oars. i have their sgg oars in shorter lengths and like them. i now would like to buy a pair of 10' cataracts, available in either sgg or sgx. their website isn't very informative. they claim the sgx is stiffer w/o extra weight but don't tell you how they achieve this or post the weights of any of their products. the sgx cost approx $20 more each. anyone own these or sell them? thanks in advance, bill
    There really is a difference in SGX and SGG shafts...

One of the things that come to mind is the torque vs whip factor.

To give better explanation on this: An efficient entry angle and bite can be achieved by both, yet the difference is found when you place the power faces into bite mode and pull or push on them. The SGX gives much higher torque leverage and dishes it out near instantly with few degrees of travel... this means that you get more drive, more in line directly, more rapidly, with less frequency. It adds up to more leverage, instantly, giving it the edge on efficiency/speed/repetition strokes per minute. In turn - It also translates into somewhat less forgiveness, and many will not see any real benefit to this kind of stuff.

Kinda like a tennis racquet... most on up to upper level intermediates will have the same general game with aluminum, glass, or high graphite composite in match play. Give the expert pros any of the above... they'll know the difference, yet still show the joes who are still the pros.

So in conclusion, there really is a difference and reasoning behind preferences going SGX or SGG. I run both types on fully Guided trips and have them in rental program. Interestingly enough - I like SGX on larger self-bailers and tend to go the SGG on bigger Cats. They have all been very good oar shafts. Give you some insights... Over the past 5 years, only one SGG has been broken. On ones I've sold to folks past few seasons, not one has ever been returned! That's a remarkable track record on the amount of trips that I have going out and the multi-day packages I've (and others) put them through. I can't say that for Carlisle. While good industry-standard oars, the Carlisle are not in the same league preference-wise.

Larry also appears to have enjoyed a similar experience on the lasting value of Cataract Shafts. On break-down customs, I usually inform folks to buy 4 at a time instead of the prescribed 3 (2 + spare)... this way if/when you loose 1 it's not a waiting period to get another for spare.