Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Ultra Mag rifles

Default 300 Ultra Mag rifles

does anyone know what different rifle makes / actions besides Rem 700 the ultra mag comes in ? I thought I had seen some Browning ABolts in the ultra mag's early years but I can't seen to find any now - some ex-state cop in Oregon made a buddy of mine a 338 ultramag with a Montana action and it had a good feel but the action felt like it had sand in it when cycled and it didn't shoot very well - what other makes are there out there ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of any manufacturers other than Remington that make the Ultras. It was their baby and their mag box is a little longer than some other manufacturers standard magnum mag boxes. I think it would be a tight fit in some other makes of rifles. i.e., the Howa mag box is about 2.59 vs the Rem 2.71

Thinking about it,I have not seen another gun besides mine (a ruger #1) chambered in .300RUM.Sounds like you need a custom build to get something besides the rem 700

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    does anyone know what different rifle makes / actions besides Rem 700 the ultra mag comes in ? I thought I had seen some Browning ABolts in the ultra mag's early years but I can't seen to find any now - some ex-state cop in Oregon made a buddy of mine a 338 ultramag with a Montana action and it had a good feel but the action felt like it had sand in it when cycled and it didn't shoot very well - what other makes are there out there ?
    Browning did make them as there is one for sale on Gun Broker right now. Also I see Blaser makes one as there are a number on GB also. This Browning has some work done but is the 300RUM. Also see some Browning magazines for sale in same caliber.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=223550704

Winchester made the model 70 stainless classic in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum. I have one for sale.

Savage 116BSS. Supposedly more accurate than the 700.
    FWIW, my brother picked up a 700 .300RUM for $300 at Alaskas Best(?) pawn.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Savage 116BSS. Supposedly more accurate than the 700.
    FWIW, my brother picked up a 700 .300RUM for $300 at Alaskas Best(?) pawn.
    Is that BSS an older model? I can't find it on the Savage site and also did a site search for 300 RUM and 300 Ultra with no results.

MR, I can't seem to find it either.
    Here is a quote from a member on another site.

SS from Gun&Game-
    "I'd get the Savage 116BSS. I'm thinking about buying one of the Savages in 300 RUM anyway, they just weren't available until long after I had bought my Remington."

This post is from almost exactly 9 years ago,so this rifle may only be available used.
    Or it may be complete BS!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Kimber never chambered any of their rifles for any of the Ultra Mag cartridges. Winchester did for little less than a year. Browning did as well but for a short period of time. I wanna say it was for a year only as well. I'm not sure on Savage. I wouldn't want one from Savage anyways even if they did.

Sako made a 300 RUM in a model 75 stainless. The one I shot was very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    MR, I can't seem to find it either.
    Here is a quote from a member on another site.

SS from Gun&Game-
    "I'd get the Savage 116BSS. I'm thinking about buying one of the Savages in 300 RUM anyway, they just weren't available until long after I had bought my Remington."

This post is from almost exactly 9 years ago,so this rifle may only be available used.
    Or it may be complete BS!
    Maybe it was a typo, FSS vs BSS? And maybe an older chambering or he had it rebarreled to a RUM?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wouldn't want one from Savage anyways even if they did.
    Don't mean to butt heads, but Savage has built a very good rep for accuracy in recent years.

That being said, I would be very careful buying any used 300 RUM as they can burn up a barrel pretty quick. I did get a used Sendero from a local guy who I felt I could trust and it turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Winchester made the model 70 stainless classic in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum. I have one for sale.
    It is "UN-FIRED" in the original Box. $1,250.--

AGL4now, I will have to think on that for a bit but thank you ! Thank you all for the quick responses, I appreciate it !!

Blaser makes r93s in 300 um.

Christiansen (sp) chambers one as well, buddy picked one up from Sportsman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    I saw one of those at the Sportsman show up for raffle. Looks sweet with that carbon fiber wrapped barrel.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is "UN-FIRED" in the original Box. $1,250.--
    Special price reduction: Only $1,249.-- She is unfired, in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    It's a Remington with a carbon wrapped barrel. I picked one up from a guy that was having issues with it. I got it to shoot so now this Ruger fan has a modified Remmy in the safe. Just put a carbon edge stock from McMillan on it, looking forward to shooting it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    It's a Remington with a carbon wrapped barrel. I picked one up from a guy that was having issues with it. I got it to shoot so now this Ruger fan has a modified Remmy in the safe. Just put a carbon edge stock from McMillan on it, looking forward to shooting it soon.
    That sounds like a really nice setup you got there. A little jealous actually. You should post a picture! What optic you got on top? Those EDGE stocks imo are the best on the market today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast