Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Convert to Imperial Sizing Wax

Thumbs up New Convert to Imperial Sizing Wax

Well i finally went down to Wholesale Sports (formerly SW) and bought some of this stuff. Body sizing my 300 Ultra cases was giving me fits. I was using One Shot and they were still a real bugger. I would have to size them a little at a time working the lever up and down as many as a half dozen times to get a case sized and now and then it get a little stuck resulting shaking up the whole table un-sticking it.

I put some Imperial on a case and it was smooth as butter, and every one since also smooth as butter. It's a little messy to use... but not too bad. It's making life a whole lot easier with these RUM cases.

The One shot has worked fine on mys 300 WSM and 25-06, so I might still use it for those, but the Imperial is clearly a superior lube IME.

Yes, it works very well. Although I have nothing bad to say about Imperial, I like the Unique case lube a little better. I still use a light spritz of one shot on pistol cases used in carbide dies as it is easier to use. But, on the big cases, it's Unique or Imperial for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    ...smooth as butter....
    And dat's da truth!

after long use of Oneshot as well and some case just tough to size I too picked up the Imp. wax......what good stuff! a little dab will do ya. still have my last can of One shot and have not touched it since last fall or thereabouts.

I wonder if Imperial has changed their formula? The can of stuff I have just isn't anything special and is messier than the water based stuff.

When I was having problems with sizing some .500 S&W nickel cases in steel (not carbide) dies I found that the RCBS Case Lube-2 stuff worked the best IF it was allowed to dry first. Using it dry was the trick - it didn't work well wet.

For ordinary sizing I'll still stick with the Lee water based lube applied with my fingers. It is the only stuff I've found where my fingers actually are cleaner than when I started and it washes easily off the cases and my hands. It must be used wet- I smear it on each case before I shove it in the die. If you haven't tried it you owe it yourself to pick up a tube and give it a shot. Everyone I've talked with that used it now swears by it for the majority of their resizing.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yup, that was my experience also with the Ultra Mag cases and resizing! I actually pulled the rim off of more than one case but has been smooth sailin' since changed to Imperial Sizing Wax - prutty good stuff!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Yup, that was my experience also with the Ultra Mag cases and resizing! I actually pulled the rim off of more than one case but has been smooth sailin' since changed to Imperial Sizing Wax - prutty good stuff!
    I got three of my cases stuck early on and pulled the rims off them as well. I screwed the die in upside down, drilled and screwed a hex screw into the primer pocket and pulled them out with a crowbar.

What all sizing lubes had you tried before?

Ever use the Lee stuff wet or the RCBS -2 stuff dried?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Montana I tried my "first" can of Imperial last week on some 280's and feel the same way - works great but is a little bit messier.
    I took a Q tip and lightly coated the inside of about 3 necks then skipped a cpl and repeated.. It does wipe off nicely though with a clean rag... ")
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yes, it works very well. Although I have nothing bad to say about Imperial, I like the Unique case lube a little better. I still use a light spritz of one shot on pistol cases used in carbide dies as it is easier to use. But, on the big cases, it's Unique or Imperial for me.
    I might have to try some Unique, but I think this little can of Imperial is gonna last a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Montana I tried my "first" can of Imperial last week on some 280's and feel the same way - works great but is a little bit messier.
    I took a Q tip and lightly coated the inside of about 3 necks then skipped a cpl and repeated.. It does wipe off nicely though with a clean rag... ")
    Yeah Smokey, I was thinking about getting a small brush. The Q-Tips do sound good, especially for inside necks if using and expander.

Yup, the Imperial is good and by the time you use that little tub you will have completely forgot about anything else. After reading a thread on lube a year or so ago, I decided to try a bunch of different things as I have stuck a few cases over the years. None with Unique, Imperial or Lee's. Those are my three top choices in that order. I tried all manner of things I had around the house from axel grease to mink oil, Lanolin, vasoline, castor oil, motor oil, udder creme, bag balm, STP, One shot, and probably some other things that I have forgot. If it wasn't for the horrible mess, I would be using castor oil. In my "sientific" side by side test on a batch of 300Win cases, I found the Unique to be the best of the easy cleanup lubes followed closely by Imperial and Lee's. I did not have several of the newer case lubes available and didn't try them. Some of these things are very good lubes but unless you want to use gas to wash them they are way more trouble than they are worth. It is really hard to go wrong with any of the three mentioned. Did not try the RCBS 2.

I don't see how you guys say it's messy. Maybe you are using too much? It doesn't take much.

So, for those using Imperial for "inside necks" are you then wiping it back out after sizing, and with a clean q-tip?
    Or is it a non-issue? Just load powder, slide bullet in and go.
    Seems like a lot of work, if just Neck Sizing (vs. dry neck lube, not needing to be messed with after resizing the neck)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

All the oil based stuff leaves a bit of an greasy film that you don't get with the water based lubes like Lee.

I use a nylon neck brush with a bit of the Lee lube on the inside of the case necks. Being water based I don't have to worry about any damage to the powder and the powder doesn't have any tendency to stick to the inside of the case necks. Of all the case lubes I had on my bench Lee was the only one that specifically stated that it would not degrade powder or primers. RCBS-2 was honest enough to state that their lube could damage powder and primers - I suspect any oil based lube would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I don't see how you guys say it's messy. Maybe you are using too much? It doesn't take much.

The Unique and the Imperial are both a wax rather than an oil. I use a qtip with a very light coat on the inside of the necks of every second or third case. By the time I have sized them, primed them and got them ready to powder they have a very light film of very dry wax on them. I don't clean out the necks and powder doesn't stick. When loaded I give them a quick wipe down with a towel. I do the same when using Lee lube. I doubt if any of the three would damage powder unless it was dumped in the tub of lube.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So, for those using Imperial for "inside necks" are you then wiping it back out after sizing, and with a clean q-tip?
    Or is it a non-issue? Just load powder, slide bullet in and go.
    Seems like a lot of work, if just Neck Sizing (vs. dry neck lube, not needing to be messed with after resizing the neck)
    I ALWAYS wipe it out of the necks. And, off the outside of the case too, of course.

I don't want it contaminating the powder, or primer, as unlikely as that MAY be. Also, if it's not wiped out the powder can/will STICK to it. I don't like that either.

I use a Q Tip to put the lube, whatever kind, inside the neck and ON where the shoulder and neck meet. (If it's not One-Shot, in which case it gets sprayed in.)

Stuck Cases are MORE A function of WHERE the lube is, than the TYPE.

You gotta get it on the BASE OF THE CASE.

I think most any kind of lube will keep the case from sticking if it's lubed there. The best, if there is a best, won't keep it from sticking if it's not there.

JMO, Yeah Right.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There are lubes that are better than others and even the best won't work if not there. And yes the base is the most important. However , I have on occasion been sizing cases using One Shot and have had cases get real tight about half way in. Pull it back out, hose it liberally all over including the base and still felt that if I keep forcing, I'm going to get a stuck case. Pull it again and smear a little Unique on the case and it feels like it was already FL sized. There is actually that much difference in lubes. I no longer have to stand up and use both hands on the press handle like I have in the past with some lubes.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    There are lubes that are better than others and even the best won't work if not there. And yes the base is the most important. However , I have on occasion been sizing cases using One Shot and have had cases get real tight about half way in. Pull it back out, hose it liberally all over including the base and still felt that if I keep forcing, I'm going to get a stuck case. Pull it again and smear a little Unique on the case and it feels like it was already FL sized. There is actually that much difference in lubes. I no longer have to stand up and use both hands on the press handle like I have in the past with some lubes.
    I appreciate hearing your experience, rbuck:

I could accept that there are better lubes than One-Shot, and I can see a difference in IT, and the other lubes, like Imperial, or Unique. One-Shot is very convenient, but the downside is, it doesn't last. I'm on my 2nd Can, already. The Unique, or the Imperial, will last me for YEARS.

One-Shot has worked well for me, but I spray it on LIBERALLY. I admit, I don't use it for what I've deemed to be, "hard to size cases", if I FL Size them. I use it for 30-30, 7x57, for example. But not 7 Mags. I've used it for 338 WM, though.

When I size 7mm Rem. Mag. to 7mm Weatherby Mag. I've never used One-Shot, but maybe I could. I go with the Unique, or Imperial. I've also used Bert's Bees, which isn't even handloading product.

It's probably a matter of trust. I don't trust the Lee Lube either, but I've heard good reports, like from tvfinak. I think it's just that I've not come up with a practical way to apply it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've only used the Lee lube in my own operations and have had no issues at all. It almost seems too easy. My buddy uses Unique, and while it works well I find it to be much more messy/greasy. With Unique I am constantly looking for a rag to wipe my hands on. With the Lee I just rub my fingers together a bit and it dries right up. My only complaint with the Lee is squeezing it out of the tube after it is less than half full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast