Thread: When to start fertilizing seedlings?

Question When to start fertilizing seedlings?

When do you all start fertilizing your seedlings and what do you use?

Eagle River, AK

I'm only one year into this, so take it with a grain of salt... I started my seedlings in ProMix, which has just a touch of fertilizer, but then I never fertilized them again. I planted them in a soil that had a significant portion of compost in the mix. I'll add some soil to the top of the soil every year, and hopefully that's it. Chemical fertilizers go a long ways towards killing off productive soil organisms. Again, I'm new at this...but I'm pretty well sold on compost.

Alaska, Mat valley

When? Man that's a fine line. Usually they are in the starter soil for a short time. If you are
    going to re-pot them, then the get new soil then.
    I guess it really is the starter soil or the repot soil & how long in the soil.
    I watch the plants, if growing well & a good green color, no fertilizer, If they slow down
    growth, lose their green color some & have been in the pot for over 4 weeks, mix a real weak
    fertilizer solution. Trick is "mild", because you can really damage them by giving them too much.
    Also depends on plant type too.
    I think, normally, it is better to re-pot with new soil in larger pots as needed VS the risk of over fertilizing.
    But use the fish foods or a very week mix of pellet or crystal foods.
    I have over fertilized before; it is like over watering is worse than under watering.
    Hope this helped some, as you learn your plants, they will show signs of needing food.