Thread: Fat tire bike

Arrow Fat tire bike

Hey all .
    What bike stores in Anchorage carry these types of bikes ??
    Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Lightbulb Get a hold of Billy!!!

So you want a FAT TIRE Bike.
    You need to see the guys at Arctic Cycle.
    Talk to Billy and tell him Trail Boss is waiting to hear from them next winter.
    You can call them at 351 8545. And they also rent the darn things.
    They stay here cause they are right in the middle of the whole trail system.They come out here every year to cruise around Willow durring the Willow State Winter Carnival.
    It is a kick to see up to 30 or more of these men and women touring Willow and just loving our groomed hard trails.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Trailboss

Thanks for the info.
    I have not actually ever rode one but I see a few here in Homer in all types of weather while my
    bike is home covered for the winter. These sound like a good bike for the winter time.
    Thanks again.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

REI had one brand last time I checked

Dang, thought this was going to be about beer...... disappointment...

There are two shops here in Anchorage that have their own custom designs that they sell. There are also a couple of other brands sold up here as well.

I just purchased a 9-ZERO-7 fatbike from Chain Reaction Cycles (their own design). Greg over at Speedway Cycles also has his own design, called the Fatback. Lots of great options out there and different levels within each brand (aluminum vs titanium frames, varying component groups, etc...). Best thing to do would be to take a day and check out the various shops and see which ones work for you. Check out Arctic Cycles, Chain Reaction Cycles, and Speedway. See what bike fits your eye the best.

REI-sells the Pugsly very heavy bike non local- I would not buy a pugsly, I hate the weight and the geometry for a fat tire bike.
    The Bicycle shop-Sells the Salsa Muck-luck. Nice bike kind entry level components-non local bike.
    Chain Reactions-Sells the 9-zero-7. Nice bike, local design
    Speedway cycles-Sells the fatback, in my opinion the best fatbike out there. They will build to suit.

I think you can find them both for about $1500 now that the newness had died down a bit in the last few years. One has steel, one aluminum frame...both sit different in my opinion. I only dream of owning one but have test rode both.

Ok, there is nothing the matter with the Pugs. Heavy? Dude, they are ALL heavy.
    If you can get a good deal on the Pugsley, buy it. You'll love it.
    As far as the FatBack being the best? Well, why? You can argue the virtues of offset wheel design vs wide, proprietary hubs all day long, but the reality is they all work well. Offsest wheels allow you to re-build with common as dirt 135 mm mountain hubs. Wider hubs are a cleaner look. Some argue the wider hubs make for a stronger wheel, but I have got a ton of miles on my Pugs with offset Fat Shebas, and at 6'6", 225, if I can't wreck them, no one is.
    The MuckLuck has underside of downtube routing for the front deraileur. Bad bad bad. You can change it around, but, what were they thinking?
    Both the 907 and the FatBack are very well thought out and executed designs. Don't let the offset wheel design sway you one way or the other. Ride them both and see what you like. I think Chain Reaction has a few 907s left, so you might get a better deal late season.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.