Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring;Time to Bring Out the Big Guns!

Question Spring;Time to Bring Out the Big Guns!

The big bears are waking up, there is already sign around the Southeast and Southcentral areas.
    Most who plan on hunting are at least scoutin' around.
    I figure some of you are dustin' off the hand cannons.

What is everyone carrying this year?

What kind of a rig are you wearing for these summer hikes and hunts?

Here is mine(better pic) .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk and Alaskan Backpacker chest rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I'm carrying the same old Ruger Blackhawk in 41Mag I've been carrying for the last 25years or so. I just use an Uncle Mikes hip holster. It's loaded with home made jacketed 270gr bullets at 1200fps. It's not really a hand cannon but I think it will work.

Nice.... What load are you shooting?

I will be shooting a 335 grain LFN at around 1100 fps from Alaska Backpacker ammo(same name as the holster?weird)
    I do reload, but I'm new, so the first couple years my hunting and defense rounds will be premium factory.
    And btw Rbuck, that definately counts as a hand cannon! Great caliber, IMHO.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Freedom arms m 83 field grade 475 Linebaugh. Carried in a Mernickle cross draw holster. Very comforting, and comfortable.

4" 500 S&W, shoulder holster,

S&W 460V in a chest rig for 4 years now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Same old 44 redhawk I've had for 20 years, cross draw, 310 gr cast Gc I make, With a healthy dose of IMR 4227.
    Alex

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

No outings as yet, cept takin the Little Brown Dawgie out to pee after dark. For that I pack a Ruger Bearcat, 22 LR.

I'll be carrying my S&W Mdl 29, with 6" barrel, in a Chest holster, OR a Hip holster, when I go into the beeg swamps.

It's loaded with 300 grain CP WFN GC bullets NOT loaded to the MAX.

My Ruger New Mdl Blackhawk, with 6.5" barrel, 180 grain CP WFN GCs and 13 grains of H110 is another option.

The 44 is probably the one I'll use the most, if for no other reason than the Chest Holster is most comfortable, and out of the way.

I'll be shooting them BOTH in the coming days, for practice, familiarization etc.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hunting probably nothing but the long gun. For hiking I will either drag along my new (to me) ruger MkII or my EAA 10mm, just depends on where I am going.

LU: I've been looking for a EAA witness in 10mm since the first time I read the reviews. Perfect Alaskan gun and caliber for the semi-auto fan. Northen security has you covered if you ever need serious ammo.
    Smitty:GNG in Anc has some 200 grain bullets from cast performance(?), might be a neat idea for reloading your .357 that I know you love so much
    Akmik:You dog. That is one fine pistol. Thanks for the stunning addition to the thread.
    Andy and aaa, I'd love some pics. Thanks guys.

I still need to order the stiffer spring for my EAA. I have put a few of the 230grn DT's through it and they are definitely too much for the stocker! DT has the springs and hi-cap mags last time I checked, just one more thing on the pile of stuff to do when I get back stateside! I am also going to work some magic on one of the AK guide holsters to get it to work with my bino chest pack.

I put Wolff springs in my Witness 10, I think I changed the firing pin spring as well. Its been a while. Its a great truck gun, nothing fancy and 15 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at! Its pretty heavy though, probably my only complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    I put Wolff springs in my Witness 10, I think I changed the firing pin spring as well. Its been a while. Its a great truck gun, nothing fancy and 15 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at! Its pretty heavy though, probably my only complaint.
    That is what I plan to do with mine. I had it Durracoated since the "wonder finish" lacks any "wonder" when it comes to preventing rust. Definitely a hefty side arm compared to something like an XD converted to 460R but not bad on the pocket book and it is slimmer than my redhawk so it tends to stay out of the way better.

I usually carry my Redhawk 44 Mag on a Bianchi hip hoster. I like to run the 340 grain buffalo bores through it for bear protection. I got a 460 S&W Mag for christmas but its the 8 3/8 XVR, I am hoping to take my first black bear with it this year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Back pocket or Galco hip crossdraw.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here ya go, his-n-hers. His 460V woods gun and hers 65LS 357 CCW gun.

4_20_09036a.jpg

My plinked that has more and more become her woods gun, EAA Match 10mm. It's stock but a stock Match is like a built Witness. 15 rounds of 200g 10mm is ample for all but the worst bears and zombies I think. It is heavy . . . almost as heavy as my 460V when loaded with 200s.
    DSC_0035a.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Excellent choice!

Unbeatable combo IMO.

Many talk about large diameter heavy bullets but nothing even comes close to the .500 in a manageable affordable package.

The shoulder houster keeps it out of the way yet easily accessable even in hip or chest waders when fishing. I've been carrying mine for three years now and find it quite confortable.

My 329 PD with 310 gr. hard cast bullets is my second choice - an actual pocket gun for a light jacket or hip pocket. Again - nothing else ven comes close in very lightweight powerfull yet dependable package. Also works well for CC in the winter when you might encounter a 2 or 4 legged threat.

I'd strongly consider a Redhawk in .454 but they don't make them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    4" 500 S&W, shoulder holster,
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Andy:Those are some great guns. My ol' lady would love that 65LS. She has an airweight 637, but now says she wants something heavier. Just like a woman to change her mind. I really like the 10mm.
    Lu: I thought the wonder finish was supposed to prevent rust. Doesn't live up to that, eh?
    tvfin: I wouldn't mind a good 329 for pocket carry, either. Great gun.
    Will:That is an awesome pic. Thank you for posting that.
    Bout' time to start the grill and make the most of this hot sunny day. Thanks for the posts fellas.

Here is the brides woods carry pistol
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast