Thread: Stranger, just got an old rifle shooting again.

Default Stranger, just got an old rifle shooting again.

Hey Stranger, I just got done firing my Frank Wesson two trigger in 44 long rimfire. It's taken me almost 8 months to find the reloading materials that I needed to get this old gun firing again. 210 grain bullet, case filled with black powder primed with a .22 blank. Very accurate at 30 yds. Penetrated a 4x4 treated post and halfway through a 2x10 that was behind it. I don't know when they stopped making 44 rimfire ammo but it's been quite awhile since this one has been fired. I'm going to expeirment with it a bit more. If I think it will do the job I might take it bear baiting.

Sweet! What is the history of your gun?

Sweet! I'd love to hear the history of it. BUT, Rimfires aren't legal for big game, just heads up. That sounds like a sweet ol gun though.

It's a first model made sometime around 1863ish. I bought it at an auction a couple of years ago as a project. I like antique rifles, and I like making them useful again. Thanks for the heads up on the rimfire/big game legal aspect. Never even thought about it.

Very nice!
    It looks like a well balanced rifle.

I have Joslyn rifle from 1864 , also a.58cal rimfire, but in my hands remains unfired for lack of cartridges......where did you find yours????
    Id love to shoot that baby ............but the rimfire hunting restriction sux...........'cept head shots on swimming Caribou......~~LOL!!~~

A friend and I put together some built up cases and shot the 'Berdanka", my 1872 10.6 mm (.42 berdan) Berdan Carbine, Ive shot two Caribou with with total overkill efects........ when (if) I get home Ill look for pictures.

Way Cool.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I finally found a guy in Texas that claims that he will/can make almost any cartridge case. Not cheap at $4 each but priceless with recoil, smoke and noise. Since it's a single shot I only bought 5. If you need his contact info let me know. I'm sure that he can make your .58cal rimfire as well.

Now THAT is interesting.........I would love to pop swimmers with that fine tool ....

PM me, Im all ears....or eyes, as its the internet ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Sweet! I'd love to hear the history of it. BUT, Rimfires aren't legal for big game, just heads up. That sounds like a sweet ol gun though.
    I understand that is the law on paper, but I can't imagine anyone raising any issues with this. The law was obviously meant to keep folks from shooting moose with .22's.

Being its black powder it may just fit under those rules for hunting. Please keep bringing those classics back to life sir.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Casper thats a cool old rifle. Ever since I got my first copy of cartridges of the world when I was 11 I have been fascinated by the big bore rimfires. Speaking of old rimfires I'm surprised some enterprising fellow hasn't tooled up and offered some of the old ones. How hard can they be to manufacture if they where making them in the 1860's?.
    I understand the demand is low but be the unit price is high. I have 4 box's of the .32 RF navy arms brought in from Brazil some years ago. They're just sitting collecting dust so I researched prices. IF you can find them they run $4.95 a round.

Jim about 3 weeks ago I fired my .32 long rimfire for the first time. It's a Hopkins & Allen takedown model 932 fallingblock. Will make a good small game rifle. My next project is my Alex Henry falling block that has lots of issues. It's at the gunsmiths and has been for quite a while now.

It started life back in 1880 or so as a .360 2 1/4" Black Powder Express. Sometime in it's life it was reamed out to
    .410 shotgun. I'm having it rebarreled with the correct profile, reuse the sights, repair the forearm, refinish the wood, and it needs a few screws remade/reengraved. It's a fairly rare beast in the small size action.

I thought I'd utilize the "Ask a trooper" forum and check with F&G on their ruling to see if this is considered a rimfire or not. IMO, it isn't as it utilizes a primer in the case for ignition. Better safe than sorry though. I'll get the answer from the source. But just for entertainment, what's your opinion?

Definitely a unique situation. Not really a muzzle loader since it uses a cartridge. It IS a black powder weapon though... To me it would be silly to not allow it in a general firearms season as it should have plenty of power to get the job done given the use you have planned for it. The regs were pretty clearly written to preclude the use of 17-22 cal rimfire weapons with no thought put into the (slim) odds of someone actually using a 100+ year old big bore rimfire cartridge.

Definitely worth getting an official word and keeping it on file before venturing out in the woods with it though I doubt anyone would know the difference. If they asked about it and you told them it was an old "44" I hazard to guess that less than 1 in 50 LEO would recognize it as anything other than that. To me the big bore rimfire doesn't meet the intent of the no rimfire regulation at all. Definitely curious what the FWT has to say about it. It should be easy to get the BOG to pass a no rimfire under .25 caliber proposal.