Thread: Do you let your bear hang?

Default Do you let your bear hang?

I did a search and found very little on this but do you hang your bear meat and if so how long? Also is there any reasons not to? I understand cooking it fully and they could have parasites but lots of people swear by hanging their game and I just was wanting to hear some opinions on this. Thanks
    Hunter

I wasn't a bear hunter until last May. My wife shot a nuisance black bear in the Spring. She cleaned it out shortly after shooting it, let it hang overnight, and processed it the next day. (And no, Iím not a lazy bum, I was out of town on work )

Anyway, the reason I wasnít a bear hunter until last May is because I hadnít eaten Black bear before and boy was that some good stuff! Now my wife is pretty picky about cleaning meat, no silver, no fat, etc.

Iíve been told by some native friends that spring black bear is the best, so a fall bear may be a different story. Anyway it turned out very good.

If you get them eating Blueberries in the Mountains come fall, it is some of the best eating there is. Eating on fish, that's another story!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I shot my first last spring, well actually June 18th, but still eating exclusively grass (by stomach contents anyway),

It was right on the shore line, so my son and I rinsed out the body cavity with cold saltwater, then tossed in canoe,
    and got to the big boat within an hour, so two hrs from the Kill, and I packed the body cavity with fishhold ice while proceeding to have dinner then do the skinning. The temp came down really quickly before we bagged it in quarters.

All that to say, we were big on the immediate cooling, then we hung the quarters above ice in the fishhold on our boat,
    took internal meat temp regularly and it was holding at 37F.

We had another tag to hunt and were out for some camping also, and seeing it maintaining that temp,
    we felt comfortable keeping it down there for about four days I think before butchering, wrapping and freezing,

It came out really good,
    I like the idea of hanging meat, if the conditions are just right,
    also pretty adamant that the immediate care/cooling is quick, as well as the hanging temp,

Ours worked Fantastic, Big Black Bear Fans around our house now

not sure how it would work if you couldn't keep the temp dow,n below 38F which is what I have read is the ideal temp.
    Certainly wouldn't do it in the woods at anything over 40F
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It just depends on the temp outside I always try to let the meat hang if I can but most of the time spring bear and even early fall moose hunts its just too warm out to let hang for very long. I have butchered moose anywhere from 1-9 days after the kill and have not noticed much of a difference in how tender the meat was. It seems to me the biggest thing is to let it bleed out good which usually a day or two will do.
    I have never had bear hang very long but that is only due to the temp outside.

You are correct ~ this subject is not widely discussed. Contact Mr. Doug Drum at Indian Valley Meats. I attended a seminar back in ~ '95 and he recommends processing right away. He can give you all the details about why etc... I realize this might not always be possible depending on where you harvest it. I've processed several spring bears, all within 24 hours. The meat was/is awesome!

Thanks akluvr, ill be doing that from now on.

I grind most of it and make spaghetti sauce or pepperoni and summer sausage (often at a later time) so I like to do it asap
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Moose and caribou I usually hang, but that's in the fall and temps are generally cooler.

Bear meat- nope, I process it right away. I don't really see much compelling reason to age pork or bear, not like I do with beef or venison.

Thanks for all the info I think I'm going to process it right away if I get one.