Thread: Which do you find harder to obtain?

Wink Which do you find harder to obtain?

Lets say for arguments sake that your going to, or have hunted brown / Grizzly bears. Which type do you think would be harder to obtain? Limiting your hunt to these restrictions! 1. The grizzly would be an interior bear. 2. the brown would be away from the coasts, streams, during the salmon runs. 3. These bears would be taken on foot , camping and, hunting no boats, ATV"s ect. 4. Not using a kill, gutpile to score on you bears. 5. You can pick any area that is legal to hunt, Wild area, these are to be fair chase bears, no dump bears. Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

well if i could pick my times for both specie, some grizzly are on salmon so i'm not sure how far from the coast your talking about, also what size bear your talking about.
    If given the choice first week of october on the south south end of the peninsula getting a brownie would be about 90 percent i'd say or better.

Also the grizzly (120 miles from the coast) in july on a salmon stream, its gonna be about the same percentage. change that same hunt to mid september and i'd say it goes down to about 80 percent.

Fall brown bear seasons are set up to hunt over salmon, fall grizzly seasons are not.

Spring hunt on kodiak, i'd say 75 percent at getting a bear.
    spring hunt in the interior i'd say about the same...from what i've seen. i haven't hunted everywhere in the interior so not sure some areas are probably better than others.

Bottom line, bears are where you find them, you could have a 100 chance at nailing a bear and not see one for three weeks, or you could go where no one has even seen one in their life and shoot a nice bear while looking for arrowheads with your kindergarten class....bear hunting is weird like that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink

BRWNBR, spoke to a long out of touch friend last night, he hunts all over the place Alaska,Yukon ect. On one hunt he shot a Large bull bou ,near BC cal., I think in the Yukon, as he told me he and, his guide had 5 grizzlys circling the kill as they were cutting it up to pack it out. Sounds a little hard to pay attention dressing out an animal like that! Thats why the post, I guess where he was hunting the interior type bear was no problem. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

longhunter, i too shot a moose in the interior, the next morning we flew over the carcass as it was in a bad spot to walk up on, that next morning there was five grizz on the kill, they'd charge the plane and stuff. man was i glad we flew over it first!! geez, they even ate the tines off the antlers, only meat we recovered was from the load we took out the night before when we shot it. other times in that same area i've had gutpile sit for well over a week before a bear hit them...its all timing.
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR, so much for the idea of sleeping with you kill till morning! Hey Where are all the Goldie Locks type bears that only eat porridge???

wouldn't matter if they ate porridge...at least not till they open it up to baiting! lol
    Master guide 212