Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 DC590 Western Talkeetna Mountains Info

Default 2011 DC590 Western Talkeetna Mountains Info

I am fairly new to the area. I drew for this caribou hunt and was hoping for information from anyone that has either hunted the area or knows anything about it. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (recommended times, locations, etc.) Thank you!

Get in touch with Meekins Air Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Get in touch with Meekins Air Service.

Geeze... make him work for it a little. At least I've already got my flight booked.

If you want better odds on weather, velvet antlers, and/or better meat - go in August.
    If you want hard antlers or it fits your schedule better go in September.

There are caribou scattered all along the main mountains between the Talkeetna River, Iron Creek, and Sheep River - basically from Wells Mountain to Sovereign Mountain. And I'm sure they are scattered around elsewhere - I've heard of them being seen further west as well. Get up high. Glass a lot. Cover country with your eyes and with your feet as need be until you run into one.

Most successful hunters fly in. There are a couple well known strips that can accomodate most bush planes and a slew of smaller cub strips.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I took a wheeler in and saw 5 last year and not too far from the road.

If you hunt the eastern portion of the permit area you may run into good numbers of Nelchina animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

Geeze... make him work for it a little. At least I've already got my flight booked.
    Yeah I made it too easy for him.

Thank you for helping out a fellow hunter. The favor will not be overlooked!! It is safe to assume that we have all been new hunters before

TheJakeMan,
    Yes, we have all been NEW.
    And, yes, the forum can, at times, be tough on NEW.
    But don't give up. You can, we can, all of us can gain a large amount of information from these forums. This is the great thing about these forums and the information we share. So................
    So..........start with the shread of info you received here. Check with the area biologist. Check with him/her in person, as opposed to a telephone call. Then check back here on the forum with updated, more specific questions. Soon, I think, those with information concerning that area will begin to talk. Then we/they will get competitive and a flood on information will be released to you.....perhaps.
    Goodl luck.
    Read the forum archives. Notice who seems to share info on that area and nearby areas. Then PM them with specific questions. Many of us feel better about sharing info one on one.
    Oh yeah...I got nothin....no info on DC590, Western Talkeetnas....really.
    Ya need to get more posts and get your PMs (Private Messages) turned on so forum members can send "confidential" info to ya.
    Not everyone wants to put specific-location-type-info, often gained only through blood, sweat, and real tears, boot miles, expensive airplane rides, on an internet forum.
    Be persistent, don't take nuttin personal. Sounds like you are going to have a great summer researching that area. Start with spring black bear hunts......
    And Yes, Meekings is a fine pilot/"Air Support Service", who has extensive experience in the Talkeetnas and the Knik areas.
    dennis

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Had this hunt last year and took a decent September bull with my bow. He green scored 389, and his cape turned out nice and white. Go early for the best meat, later for best cape and still palatable meat--I'm not an enormous fan of Caribou steaks over Moose anytime of year and so we sausaged, burgered, italian sausaged, breakfast sausaged most of the old guy. As stated, best access is by plane, the bou are there, but you may have to put in a fair amount of effort. I was fortunate to get close enough with my bow. I'll post a pic when I can find the stupid thing--

Sockeye...a bow kill 389 caribou bull is a little better than decent, IMO.
    Congrats.
    And that makes you the current Talkeetna DC590 expert that can hopefully provide additional guidance for Jake.
    You have provided impressive forum contributions prior............

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Had this hunt last year and took a decent September bull with my bow. He green scored 389, and his cape turned out nice and white. Go early for the best meat, later for best cape and still palatable meat--I'm not an enormous fan of Caribou steaks over Moose anytime of year and so we sausaged, burgered, italian sausaged, breakfast sausaged most of the old guy. As stated, best access is by plane, the bou are there, but you may have to put in a fair amount of effort. I was fortunate to get close enough with my bow. I'll post a pic when I can find the stupid thing--
    Please do! Sounds like a dandy bull.

I had the DC590 tag twice. have used Meekin's twice and would use him again. Took two nice bulls. Went once Labor Day weekend and onece towards the end of the season. You will be hunting high so expect and plan for SNOW. Didn't see a lot of caribou on either trip but always saw game. Have fun!

I found this guy in DC590 4 or 5 years ago. I drew this tag again this year. I'm hoping I can find his brother for my son to harvest
    Good luck on your hunt06 072.jpg

Hey Teach, nice looking mount.Good luck this fall.

Barry Stanley knows this permit hunt very well, call Denali Air service out of Willow. You'll want to take his 206 rather than the Maule, theres an airstrip that accomodates it in a certain area......I didnt draw this tag, but tried, and wish I did. PM me if you like.

Well, I think you have your answer Jake and you probably don't need further info from me. But anyways... I used Meekins last year and had an incredible trip! I went in solo for three days and had three separate chances to harvest. When I actually squeezed the handle I had my choice of four fully mature bulls. I wasn't looking for a wall mount and decided to take the ugliest and oldest of the four - let the young, beautiful boys spread some more genes. I highly recommend Meekins. He is a class act.
    DC590 Bull_1.jpg

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AKteach View Post
    I found this guy in DC590 4 or 5 years ago. I drew this tag again this year. I'm hoping I can find his brother for my son to harvest
    Good luck on your hunt06 072.jpg
    "I drew this tag again this year." "I'm hoping I can find his brother for my son to harvest."

I'm hoping it was a 'party draw' permit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    "I drew this tag again this year." "I'm hoping I can find his brother for my son to harvest."

Well that only took 1 hour and 54 minutes. Is that a forum record or is it just a slow Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Well that only took 1 hour and 54 minutes. Is that a forum record or is it just a slow Saturday?
    Just slow today...... Sorry, I over slept!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post

Kids can fill the tags of adults if they're under their direct supervision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast